Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sue Gardner's Nov 2011 image filter statements
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
carbuncle
There is some discussion of Gardner's statements in this WR thread, but rather than further diverting the discussion of the "holy shit slide", I thought I would start a new thread. Feel free to merge, if desired.

On one of the slides Gardner showed in Hamburg (and presented to Wikimedia UK) there is a timeline of the image filter. It says, in part:
June 2011 Board asks me to build an image filter which would offer users the ability to individually opt out of seeing images they don't want to see
Aug 2011 I develop a design & commission a community vote: result is majority weak support and a strong minority opposed
I believe that both of these statements are demonstrably false and self-serving.

Here is what the WMF board asked Gardner to do:
We ask the Executive Director, in consultation with the community, to develop and implement a personal image hiding feature that will enable readers to easily hide images hosted on the projects that they do not wish to view, either when first viewing the image or ahead of time through preference settings. We affirm that no image should be permanently removed because of this feature, only hidden; that the language used in the interface and development of this feature be as neutral and inclusive as possible; that the principle of least astonishment for the reader is applied; and that the feature be visible, clear and usable on all Wikimedia projects for both logged-in and logged-out readers.
Note that the Board does not suggest that users will need to opt in to such a filter. I have bolded a few phrases which suggest that this is an opt-out system (i.e., it is in effect unless one opts out of it) not, as Gardner suggests, that users will need to "opt out of seeing images". The proposal presented to the community does not satisfy the requirements as set out by the board, but that is unsurprising.

What Gardner refers to as a "community vote" in her slide was a disingenuous and confusing "referendum". It was neither a referendum about having an image filter nor a community vote to assess support for an image filter. Its apparent aim was to determine the importance of various features in a piece of software that had clearly been designed without any community input. As stated in the preamble of the "referendum":
For its development, we have created a number of guiding principles, but trade-offs will need to be made throughout the development process. To aid the developers in making those trade-offs, we are asking you to help us assess the importance of each by taking part in this referendum.
It is entirely disingenuous to make any claim of support or rejection on a poll which states that the respondent's opinion about having an image filter is irrelevant to its implementation. The inclusion of the question simply caused confusion and much unnecessary discussion.

(My apologies for the earlier misspelling of Gardner, now corrected.)
thekohser
Wow, so you're saying that Sue Gardner is lying?

HRIP7
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 21st November 2011, 4:19pm) *

There is some discussion of Gardener's statements in this WR thread, but rather than further diverting the discussion of the "holy shit slide", I thought I would start a new thread. Feel free to merge, if desired.

On one of the slides Gardener showed in Hamburg (and presented to Wikimedia UK) there is a timeline of the image filter. It says, in part:
June 2011 Board asks me to build an image filter which would offer users the ability to individually opt out of seeing images they don't want to see
Aug 2011 I develop a design & commission a community vote: result is majority weak support and a strong minority opposed
I believe that both of these statements are demonstrably false and self-serving.

Here is what the WMF board asked Gardener to do:
We ask the Executive Director, in consultation with the community, to develop and implement a personal image hiding feature that will enable readers to easily hide images hosted on the projects that they do not wish to view, either when first viewing the image or ahead of time through preference settings. We affirm that no image should be permanently removed because of this feature, only hidden; that the language used in the interface and development of this feature be as neutral and inclusive as possible; that the principle of least astonishment for the reader is applied; and that the feature be visible, clear and usable on all Wikimedia projects for both logged-in and logged-out readers.
Note that the Board does not suggest that users will need to opt in to such a filter. I have bolded a few phrases which suggest that this is an opt-out system (i.e., it is in effect unless one opts out of it) not, as Gardener suggests, that users will need to "opt out of seeing images". The proposal presented to the community does not satisfy the requirements as set out by the board, but that is unsurprising.

What Gardener refers to as a "community vote" in her slide was a disingenuous and confusing "referendum". It was neither a referendum about having an image filter nor a community vote to assess support for an image filter. Its apparent aim was to determine the importance of various features in a piece of software that had clearly been designed without any community input. As stated in the preamble of the "referendum":
For its development, we have created a number of guiding principles, but trade-offs will need to be made throughout the development process. To aid the developers in making those trade-offs, we are asking you to help us assess the importance of each by taking part in this referendum.
It is entirely disingenuous to make any claim of support or rejection on a poll which states that the respondent's opinion about having an image filter is irrelevant to its implementation. The inclusion of the question simply caused confusion and much unnecessary discussion.

The image filter was always conceived as an opt-in filter (i.e. you have to opt in to filtering images, and the default display includes all images). That was also the recommendation from the Harris report.

The referendum didn't ask whether people thought it would be a good idea because the board had already decided in late May that it wanted to do this (controversial content resolution). The referendum only asked whether people thought it was an important feature to offer readers, and most did say yes to that. There were some geographical variations, as can be seen in Appendix 2 of this page on Meta.
carbuncle
QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Mon 21st November 2011, 6:04pm) *

The image filter was always conceived as an opt-in filter (i.e. you have to opt in to filtering images, and the default display includes all images). That was also the recommendation from the Harris report.

The referendum didn't ask whether people thought it would be a good idea because the board had already decided in late May that it wanted to do this (controversial content resolution). The referendum only asked whether people thought it was an important feature to offer readers, and most did say yes to that. There were some geographical variations, as can be seen in Appendix 2 of this page on Meta.

Here's the relevant text from the Harris report:
What we are recommending is that there be an option prominently visible on all WMF pages (like the Search Settings options on Google), available to registered and non-registered users alike, that, when selected, will place all images in Commons Categories defined as sexual (penises, vulvas, masturbation, etc.) or violent (images of massacres, lynchings, etc.) into either collapsible or other forms of shuttered viewing, wherever these images might appear on WMF sites.
It is not explicitly stated that the filter is either opt-in or opt-out. The comparison to Google's search options is worth noting, since Google offers "safe search" by default. It can be turned off with a click, and the preference will be saved if one is logged in to any of Google's services.

Harris stated that the report would present an analysis of common practice on other websites, but failed to do so. It is interesting to note that in the same slide that provided the quotes from Gardner, she has a footnote stating that "To develop his report, Robert Harris gathered together 40 studies, white papers and other research from 15 countries around the world originating in 15 countries and covering attitudes, regulations and practices in 76 countries". I am not aware of an analysis of this research, nor even so much as a bibliography that has been made public.

I'm sure you will agree that asking people to rate the importance of a feature is not at all the same thing as asking them if they support the adoption of a system that would incorporate such a feature.
Detective
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 21st November 2011, 6:53pm) *

It can be turned off with a click, and the preference will be saved if one is logged in to any of Google's services.

I don't think you even need to log in. Google preferences can be saved in a cookie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.