Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recent BLP vandalism
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Peter Damian
Thank you for the links to BLP vandalism that I am cataloguing in order to help the UK Charity Commission decide whether WMUK is controlling and monitoring Wikipedia in an effective way.

Many of these I couldn't use as they were simply to old. Seigenthaler in particular a bad choice because Wikipedians (such as Andrew Lih) now point to this as an example of the 'bad old days' when biographies could easily be vandalised, implying that this is now impossible because of 'controlling and monitoring'.

So I want two things.

1. Recent examples of BLP vandalism. Let's say, anything picked up in 2011. Please say how long the vandalism was there (the longer the better), and also how it was picked up. (one star if picked up by the victim, two stars if picked up by Wikipedia Review).

2, Examples of prominent Wikipedians who are hostile to controls on BLPs. The more prominent the better, the more hostile the better. Examples of leopards with changed spots also useful.
lonza leggiera
This is from December 2008, so it doesn't fit your criteria, but if there's a more dramatic illustration of many of the things wrong with Wikipedia—including BLP issues—I'm not aware of it. It's certainly more distressing than anything else I have seen on Wikipedia. If you're interested in a synopsis of what happened, let me know and I'll post it to the BLP forum.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(lonza leggiera @ Sat 26th November 2011, 4:04pm) *

This is from December 2008, so it doesn't fit your criteria, but if there's a more dramatic illustration of many of the things wrong with Wikipedia—including BLP issues—I'm not aware of it. It's certainly more distressing than anything else I have seen on Wikipedia. If you're interested in a synopsis of what happened, let me know and I'll post it to the BLP forum.

It's rather old, but it illustrates general principles of what has failed, and if those failed principles demonstrably apply, then yes, yes yes.

And a summary please! I have been working for hours today in converting link-filled posts littered with acronyms and unstated assumptions into brief summaries that will be intelligible to Wikipedia outsiders.
lonza leggiera
QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 27th November 2011, 3:20am) *

QUOTE(lonza leggiera @ Sat 26th November 2011, 4:04pm) *

It's rather old, but it illustrates general principles of what has failed, and if those failed principles demonstrably apply, then yes, yes yes.

And a summary please! I have been working for hours today in converting link-filled posts littered with acronyms and unstated assumptions into brief summaries that will be intelligible to Wikipedia outsiders.

I have now posted a fairly detailed synopsis to the BLP forum. Sorry for the length, but the sequence of events was fairly complex, and I preferred try and to make it clear and accurate rather than concise.
RMHED
This chap isn't very keen on Wikipedia and may well have some examples for you from his Wikipedia article.

As he says on that blog post:
Some of the material which has been put on Wikipedia about myself is seriously distressing, and there for my family, friends, colleagues and strangers to wonder about.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.