Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Locker room policy" proposal
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
carbuncle
Here's a sensible idea that will be rejected by Commons users:
Locker room policy

Last Sunday I went to Sue Gardner's presentation on Women and Wikimedia. Her story with regard to complaints about users on Commons with user space galleries of sexual photos of girls that would make our women users see Commons as a "male locker room" was a very poor reflection on this project and used some strong words, such as misogyny, though this was countered as not being her personal experience. If we do not have an explicit COM:LOCKERROOM guide, perhaps we can create one and where complaints do arise we can take positive action. My opinion is that people can use their user space pages to help improve Commons, but unless the user is putting up a gallery of their own photos or otherwise using a gallery of sexual or glamour images as part of obvious Commons improvement (in line with COM:USER), such collection that results in any complaint is reasonable to remove immediately by an admin on the grounds of being disruptive. If anyone knows of past cases that Sue is referring to, I would appreciate a link to the related discussions.

If we do take action (or can point to action already taken), I would like Sue to be informed so she can add that story of corrective action to her presentations. --Fæ (talk) 10:25, 18 November 2011 (UTC)

I think there's a certain irony to this which will not be lost on those familiar with Fæ...
carbuncle
Please enjoy this archived copy of Ash/Fæ's user page, but be warned, it is "not safe for work". Now read the "locker room" proposal again. Repeat as necessary.
thekohser
The hypocritical "flying fish in the locker room" issue was picked up by the mainstream media.
It's the blimp, Frank
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 29th November 2011, 5:48pm) *

The hypocritical "flying fish in the locker room" issue was picked up by the mainstream media.

good article.
the fieryangel
QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Tue 29th November 2011, 9:39pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 29th November 2011, 5:48pm) *

good article.

Yup, the bit about Crisco and Benjiboi was particularly masterful! Good job, Greg!

Of course, Fae/Ash only has problems with photos of girls Boys on the other hand are fine, especially if they are holding fish...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.