Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: !! style block, 2.0
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
that one guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arb...dGuy_ban_appeal

Apparently our fiend friend Will Beback got Jimbo to ban TimidGuy without any notification or discussion. At least Durova gave notice of her actions.
TungstenCarbide
QUOTE(that one guy @ Wed 14th December 2011, 8:48pm) *

Apparently our fiend friend Will Beback got Jimbo to ban TimidGuy without any notification or discussion. At least Durova gave notice of her actions.

The ban was immediate and abrupt, without my being invited to respond, so Jimmy agreed to hear my comments and opened a discussion via email, saying he would investigate the matter. On September 20 he characterized the ban as a “temporary injunction” while he investigated the case. On September 30, in response to my inquiry, he indicated he was going to spend an hour that day and several hours the next day investigating and then would get back to me. On October 12, in response to my inquiry, he kindly apologized for taking so long and said he would be finished with his research within a week.

Hahaha. There's the Jimbo we know and love.
cookiehead
I heard Timid's from Utah.
that one guy
And it seems Kirill is one of the few that gets the point that super sekrit bans are a bad thing.
Cla68

Will Beback has appealed the opening of the case to Sue Gardner huh.gif
melloden
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 20th December 2011, 11:08pm) *

When will Will go the way of Cirt?
It's the blimp, Frank
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 20th December 2011, 11:08pm) *

If I understand this right, COI applies only to promoting someone, but if you're defaming them it's all right.
thekohser
Will Beback later states:
For example, Jimbo Wales banned an editor a few months ago for deceptively engaging in paid advocacy without resorting to any on-Wiki outing.

Which editor is Beback speaking of? Jimbo has not blocked any editor in all of 2011. Is Beback deliberately lying, or is he mistaken, or is he privy to some "Jimbo ban" feature that doesn't show up in the public block logs?
that one guy
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 20th December 2011, 9:43pm) *

Will Beback later states:
For example, Jimbo Wales banned an editor a few months ago for deceptively engaging in paid advocacy without resorting to any on-Wiki outing.

Which editor is Beback speaking of? Jimbo has not blocked any editor in all of 2011. Is Beback deliberately lying, or is he mistaken, or is he privy to some "Jimbo ban" feature that doesn't show up in the public block logs?

There was no block. There was no community notification. Just Will Beback bitching to Jimbo, Jimbo going to TimidGuy "look you're banned", and not telling everyone else or placing the block.
SB_Johnny
I can only imagine that Jimmy must be busily arm-twisting and begging on the arbcom list. Beback is pretty entertaining on the "workshop" page as well. popcorn.gif
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 21st December 2011, 6:02am) *

Beback is pretty entertaining on the "workshop" page as well. popcorn.gif
He says he "stumbled upon information." That's intriguing. Tell us more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.