Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WMF hires an actual accomplished executive
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
I'm stunned, actually.
Emperor
There's such a thing as an "accomplished executive"? blink.gif
carbuncle
I guess you get to pick your own title at the WMF. Florin has been hired as a "Product Manager" which is a fairly common title in companies that make products, but I find a bit odd when applied to "new editor engagement". Then again, the head of HR is called "Chief Talent and Culture Officer".

Incidentally, remember when the WMF was hiring for the "storyteller" position? Apparently they hired three people, at least according to their staff and consultants page.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Wed 11th January 2012, 10:09am) *

I guess you get to pick your own title at the WMF. Florin has been hired as a "Product Manager" which is a fairly common title in companies that make products, but I find a bit odd when applied to "new editor engagement". Then again, the head of HR is called "Chief Talent and Culture Officer".

Incidentally, remember when the WMF was hiring for the "storyteller" position? Apparently they hired three people, at least according to their staff and consultants page.

Corporate Storytellers seldom work-out. They tend not to show up for work but always have great excuses for the absence.
Cedric
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 11th January 2012, 12:28am) *

I'm stunned, actually.

I'm not. I simply take it as a sign of the increased frustration and desperation of the WMF of having to deal with a thoroughly insular and dysfunctional "community" that the WMF has belatedly realized is killing Wikipedia. Has Sue's dreaded "death spiral" started? Hasten The Day!™
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Cedric @ Wed 11th January 2012, 10:31pm) *

I'm not. I simply take it as a sign of the increased frustration and desperation of the WMF of having to deal with a thoroughly insular and dysfunctional "community" that the WMF has belatedly realized is killing Wikipedia. Has Sue's dreaded "death spiral" started? Hasten The Day!™

I beg to differ. Dysfunctional community or not, the WMF is now a successful fundraising scam. It is inevitable they would start hiring their old pals and past supporters, and pay them salaries.

Fabrice has been kissing up to Jimbo for years. Virtually every mention of Jimbo or Wikipedia on NewsTrust has taken the Jimbo-line without question or criticism. They have a lot of "friends" in common.

FYI, NewsTrust was a good and valid idea, but as far as I can tell, it was a relative failure. I've been following it since 2006, and it seems to have become popular with some working journalists, especially (and this is weird) in Latin America. But it didn't gain massive popularity with the average folks Fabrice was after. And sucking up to Wales is the last straw for me.
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 12th January 2012, 3:17am) *

Fabrice has been kissing up to Jimbo for years. Virtually every mention of Jimbo or Wikipedia on NewsTrust has taken the Jimbo-line without question or criticism. They have a lot of "friends" in common.
Yup, there it is as the first item of his list of "outside interests":
I’m also involved in several outside projects; have a number of media investments; and am on several media-related boards and advisory boards. These include:

Investor, Wikia, a privately held consumer wiki company (Jimmy Wales, founder, is a member of the Center for Citizen Media Board of Advisors)

So just another crony after all. Still stunned, Greg?
thekohser
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Thu 12th January 2012, 8:47am) *

I’m also involved in several outside projects; have a number of media investments; and am on several media-related boards and advisory boards. These include:

Investor, Wikia, a privately held consumer wiki company (Jimmy Wales, founder, is a member of the Center for Citizen Media Board of Advisors)

Ugh -- not at all. It always goes back to the money, doesn't it? However, just being a friend of a Wikia investor is not altogether damning, is it?
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 12th January 2012, 9:50am) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Thu 12th January 2012, 8:47am) *

Ugh -- not at all. It always goes back to the money, doesn't it? However, just being a friend of a Wikia investor is not altogether damning, is it?

Hmmm, actually I thought that was his page, just realized that it's actually a mutual friend's page instead. So not altogether damning, but it does place him in the Jimbo's Castle Fundraising Club™.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.