Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Copyfraud on Commons
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
SkyBon
I gotta be seeing things on Commons.

Here is the EDGE magazine logo. It was uploaded and deemed as PD-textlogo on Commons long ago.

Now a court decision has been handed down clarifying that this logo is copyrighted and is therefore not PD. 1 2

And guess what? The deletion review was closed as "Kept per PD-textlogo" by sysop Yann. That very administrator who deemed full-sized photos of architecture to be de minimis

Yeah, ridiculous. "All hail the copyfraud!"
EricBarbour
So what? There are thousands of corporate logos on Commons.

Do you see any attorneys lining up to sue the WMF? I don't. Usually in cases like this, the law firm
is more interested in publicity than in the actual case, so you'd be seeing media reports about it.
SkyBon
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 2nd February 2012, 12:24am) *

So what? There are thousands of corporate logos on Commons.

Do you see any attorneys lining up to sue the WMF? I don't. Usually in cases like this, the law firm
is more interested in publicity than in the actual case, so you'd be seeing media reports about it.

Jurisdiction is different. If there are more such UK corporate logos on Commons they are all copyvios then though.
Michaeldsuarez
QUOTE(SkyBon @ Wed 1st February 2012, 2:16pm) *

I gotta be seeing things on Commons.

Here is the EDGE magazine logo. It was uploaded and deemed as PD-textlogo on Commons long ago.

Now a court decision has been handed down clarifying that this logo is copyrighted and is therefore not PD. 1 2

And guess what? The deletion review was closed as "Kept per PD-textlogo" by sysop Yann. That very administrator who deemed full-sized photos of architecture to be de minimis

Yeah, ridiculous. "All hail the copyfraud!"

It reminds me of a deletion discussion that I was involved with:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:...e:Kogaru1.jpg_2

The closing sysop basically said, "Fuck what nearly every user on the page thinks; this image is staying, and that's final." On Commons, "consensus" lies with the closing sysop, not the community. Commons' closing sysops are basically "activist judges".
Kelly Martin
An near-absolute requirement to be a Commons sysop is having a strong commitment to the Creative Commons' notion of "Free Culture" and its related deep disrespect for the entire modern notion of copyright law.
Cedric
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 1st February 2012, 4:01pm) *

An near-absolute requirement to be a Commons sysop is having a strong commitment to the Creative Commons' notion of "Free Culture" and its related deep disrespect for the entire modern notion of copyright law.

A/K/A the Frei Kultur Kinder, who insist that fair use media is evil and that anyone who says otherwise is a heretic to be put to the question.
Adrignola
QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Wed 1st February 2012, 2:44pm) *

The closing sysop basically said, "Fuck what nearly every user on the page thinks; this image is staying, and that's final." On Commons, "consensus" lies with the closing sysop, not the community. Commons' closing sysops are basically "activist judges".

That user's handling of deletion discussion closures is largely responsible for his later removal as a sysop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.