Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jason Scott's latest speech
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
allovababy
I know Jason was set to give this speech about WP at Notacon this weekend. Anyone know if it's been posted or reviewed anywhere yet? I've heard 2 other speeches he's done on WP, which are pretty good and accurate.
Alkivar
if it was taped, there will likely be some mention of it on his blog in the near future:

http://ascii.textfiles.com/
tarantino
QUOTE(allovababy @ Mon 30th April 2007, 12:50am) *

I know Jason was set to give this speech about WP at Notacon this weekend. Anyone know if it's been posted or reviewed anywhere yet? I've heard 2 other speeches he's done on WP, which are pretty good and accurate.

I just ran across it here, but haven't listened to it yet.
An earlier speech titled Mythapedia is there, also. I haven't listened to that one either, but I particularly enjoy this exchange of reviews.

Reviewer: David Gerard - 1 out of 5 stars - December 14, 2006
Subject: On Jason Scott and Wikipedia

I fear I must admit I am somewhat down on Mr Scott's
opinions of Wikipedia, considering how he and his dear friend RaDMan ran an incredible number of sockpuppets from textfiles.org trying to fuck things up, and I got to ban them as new ones popped up. Good for detecting open proxies, though. That is, he's tried a bit hard to directly fuck things up to take his opinions on Wikipedia too closely to heart.

Reviewer: Jason Scott / TEXTFILES.COM - 4 out of 5 stars - December 14, 2006
Subject: Not quite true, Mr. Gerard.

Nobody has ever run sockpuppets or anything else from the TEXTFILES.COM server; there's no accounts on it. (textfiles.org is a spam site, last I checked). Interesting side-step of the content of the talk, however. Good for checking open minds.

Reviewer: MRoblivious1bmf - 5 out of 5 stars - July 1, 2007
Subject: David Gerard is a wikitard

David Gerard:

You are a misinformed, malicious, half witted idiot on an egotrip, just like the rest of your kind on that god awful site wikipedia.

'Jason Scott' is a reputable decent person, and he doesn't run 'sock puppets'.

And you couldn't detect an 'open proxy' if it the directions were printed on the back of your masturbatory bottle of hand lotion.

please consult [wp:get_a_life]

Kato
This is really good. Everybody here should listen to it.

"Wikipedia, Brick by Brick" (sometimes referred to as "Brickapedia"): Presentation by Jason Scott at Notacon 4 in Cleveland, Ohio on April 27, 2007. Focuses mostly on the exploitable nature of open collaborative systems on Wikipedia, where the use of several methodologies allow manipulation of articles and policy. Touches briefly on the Essjay Controversy, where a 24 year old user of Wikipedia was able to successfully present himself as a multi-doctorate professor of divinity for multiple years. Discusses issues with modeling requirements and safe harbor provisions. Provides several trivia bits about various humorous events within the Wikipedia space in the past few years. Absolutely chock full of profanity.

It says pretty much everything Wikipedia Review has been saying on the broad issues, but thankfully Scott is not interrupted by us flaming each other over unrelated tosh, and hence it is nice and clear. There's still an opportunity for our exposé on the many individual stories that have taken place in WP's short life-span, I mean nobody knows more about them than us.

PS. What's with this North American "wik-uh-pedia" pronunciation? I've been saying "wik-ee-pedia" for the past couple of years. mellow.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 1st October 2007, 9:13pm) *

PS. What's with this North American "wik-uh-pedia" pronunciation? I've been saying "wik-ee-pedia" for the past couple of years. mellow.gif

Some of the most detested admins really hate it when people use the "wik-uh-pedia" pronunciation. Therefore, I use it exclusively.

Greg
Kato
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd October 2007, 5:13am) *

Some of the most detested admins really hate it when people use the "wik-uh-pedia" pronunciation. Therefore, I use it exclusively.

Greg

Careful Greg. Der Jimbo also pronounces it "wik-uh-pedia". I wonder how wik-ee-pedia founder Ben Kovitz pronounces it?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 2nd October 2007, 4:21am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd October 2007, 5:13am) *

Greg

Careful Greg. Der Jimbo also pronounces it "wik-uh-pedia". I wonder how wik-ee-pedia founder Ben Kovitz pronounces it?

There are only five vowels in the Hawaiian language and "WIKI" is a hawaiian word. "UH" isn't one of them and neither is the "i" in "wik".

If you want to be accurate, I believe that it should be something like "wee-kee-PEE-dee-ah" But never mind. Linguistic discussions always get me in trouble here...
thekohser
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 2nd October 2007, 12:21am) *

Kato, I have heard Jimbo pronounce it both ways. But, I think he absolutely says "wik-ee-pedia" when he's being careful to say it the "right" way, perhaps a more recent phenomenon (listen 9 seconds into this clip):

...but then he might slip (as any of us would) a little closer to "wik-uh-pedia" when he's being his more natural, conversational self, or when being interviewed by a smoking hot brunette who definitely pronounces it "wik-uh-pedia" (listen between 1:36 and 1:53):

I was born and raised in Michigan (linguistically "similar to a pirate from Kentucky with a head cold" -- "tell 'em you waana glassa melk"), but moved to Florida, then attended college in Atlanta, and finally reside in the Delaware Valley, so I am often finding myself pronouncing words in ways that others (and even I myself) find a bit odd. Offending words include "fire", "roof", "root", "y'all", and now apparently, "Wikipedia".

Greg
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd October 2007, 12:08pm) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 2nd October 2007, 12:21am) *

Kato, I have heard Jimbo pronounce it both ways. But, I think he absolutely says "wik-ee-pedia" when he's being careful to say it the "right" way, perhaps a more recent phenomenon (listen 9 seconds into this clip):

<youtube>0suY1pMJN08</youtube>

… but then he might slip (as any of us would) a little closer to "wik-uh-pedia" when he's being his more natural, conversational self, or when being interviewed by a smoking hot brunette who definitely pronounces it "wik-uh-pedia" (listen between 1:36 and 1:53):

<youtube>YCUFq4jyvI4</youtube>

I was born and raised in Michigan (linguistically "similar to a pirate from Kentucky with a head cold" -- "tell 'em you waana glassa melk"), but moved to Florida, then attended college in Atlanta, and finally reside in the Delaware Valley, so I am often finding myself pronouncing words in ways that others (and even I myself) find a bit odd. Offending words include "fire", "roof", "root", "y'all", and now apparently, "Wikipedia".

Greg

No, inhabitants of the GWN, even a SHB, would pronounce it Wœ-kœ-peameal-dee-EH?

Jonny cool.gif
Emperor

...but then he might slip (as any of us would) a little closer to "wik-uh-pedia" when he's being his more natural, conversational self, or when being interviewed by a smoking hot brunette who definitely pronounces it "wik-uh-pedia" (listen between 1:36 and 1:53):

Now we see why you started Centiare. Good luck getting an interview like that.
thekohser
QUOTE(Emperor @ Tue 2nd October 2007, 1:46pm) *

Now we see why you started Centiare. Good luck getting an interview like that.

First, I didn't "start" Centiare -- I'm co-developing and marketing it. But, your point is very well taken.

My one national television interview, I was on a show called "Attack of the Show" with two co-hosts. For my interviewer, I could have gotten either Kevin Pereira:

FORUM Image
FORUM Image

...or the segment's producer could have drawn the Olivia Munn straw:

FORUM Image
FORUM Image

Guess which one I got?

Life sucks, and then you get interviewed by Kevin Pereira.

Greg

(Just kidding, Kevin!)
JohnA
I've listened to the brikapedia podcast and it is not chock full of profanity. He uses the word "fuck" very very rarely for adjectival impact.

I think Daniel Brandt could give a much better speech.
guy
With photos like those, Olivia Munn is obviously another sock of Runcorn. biggrin.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd October 2007, 2:13pm) *

… or the segment's producer could have drawn the Olivia Munn straw …

I've obviously been going to the wrong Star Wars conventions !!!

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.