Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An article about WP in the NY Times
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
WR Editorials
QUOTE(CarlosCaustic @ Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:08 am)
everyone's probably read it already but here it is http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/magazine...gewanted=1&_r=2

ED is mentioned along with Gracenotes , swatjester, and yes your favorite and mine, slimvirgin.

QUOTE(Cedric @ Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:52 am)
Actually, I missed that one. Thanks for the catch. smile.gif
blissyu2
Heh. After all of the stuff about Grace Note not wanting his identity known, they've released it on the New York times, complete with a photo.

16 huh?

FORUM Image
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Fri 6th July 2007, 8:54am) *

Heh. After all of the stuff about Grace Note not wanting his identity known, they've released it on the New York times, complete with a photo.

16 huh?

FORUM Image

They say it's Gracenotes, not to be compounded with Grace Note, or Grease Mote, or Grass Toke, ..., or Ad Nauseum.

So you leave it to yer local strait man to say:

D'Oh! So now the NYT is a BADSITE ???

"Wikinews, though nominally covering not just major stories but news of all sorts, has sunk into a kind of torpor ..."

I leave you to make up yer own jokes about TOR-por ...

Jonny cool.gif
Jonny Cache
And as I predicted many moons ago, SlimVirgin has already become notable enough to deserve his/her own Wikipedia article, well above the threshold of your average Wikipedia notable like Ryan Jordan (Hiker) or Ryan Jordan (Singer), if yet to muster up to the mark of Ryan Jordan (Indirection Disappeared).

QUOTE(Jonathan Dee @ 01 Jul 2007)

There is a rough philosophical divide among admins between “deletionists” and “inclusionists,” and Rosenthal, even though he has never actually met anyone from Wikipedia outside the office staff in St. Petersburg, is on the site so often that he has a pretty good idea who’s who. He associates certain user names with certain political biases, and he recalls an online dustup with someone called Slimvirgin over whether the Animal Liberation Front was a terrorist organization. Personalities can become so pronounced in these debates that some even achieve fame of a sort on snarky Wikipedia anti-fansites like Encyclopedia Dramatica, where Slimvirgin has been thoroughly pilloried. “It’s disgusting on one level,” Rosenthal said, “but it’s also funny how the encyclopedia has gotten to be more about the community behind it. And like any community, it has its drama. For people that don’t understand it and don’t have an inclination to get involved in it, it’s pretty daunting.”

Source. Jonathan Dee (01 Jul 2007), "All the News That’s Fit to Print Out", New York Times Magazine, p. 5.

Jonny cool.gif
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Fri 6th July 2007, 12:54pm) *

16 huh?

FORUM Image

that is Gracenotes of RFA fame.

he made a few posts here until slimvirgin and gang told him it was bad. sad.gif
blissyu2
Wow, famous Gracenotes, as opposed to famous troll and suckup Grace Note.
Jonny Cache
If I had the energy for it, I would start a poll:

When will the New York Times get a clue?

I had to go barf before I finished the article, and haven't got back to it yet, but I was wondering, did the reporter ever get around to talking to anyone who wasn't a member of the cult in question? And I don't mean just another talking head of the variety that spews clouds of clueless ponti-fiction out of empty datasets, but someone with actual experience of the reality?

Jonny cool.gif
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Sat 7th July 2007, 1:39pm) *

I had to go barf before I finished the article, and haven't got back to it yet, but I was wondering, did the reporter ever get around to talking to anyone who wasn't a member of the cult in question?

Nope. Why don't you act as if the NYTimes did interview you, Jonny, and write that section for us... biggrin.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Sat 7th July 2007, 10:31am) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Sat 7th July 2007, 1:39pm) *

I had to go barf before I finished the article, and haven't got back to it yet, but I was wondering, did the reporter ever get around to talking to anyone who wasn't a member of the cult in question?

Nope. Why don't you act as if the NYTimes did interview you, Jonny, and write that section for us... biggrin.gif

FYSMI, 'cause that's more or less the narrative tack that I was taking when I landed on these shores, in My Wikipedia Year, but you know we tend to get a bit distracted here.

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.