Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anti-censorship organization The Electronic Frontier Foundation honors Craigslist and Wikipedia founders
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in the Media
Google News
Wikipedia founders
San Jose Mercury News, USA - 26 minutes ago
... jobs. Jimmy Wales won for his role creating and overseeing Wikipedia, a free online encyclopedia that lets anyone contribute. The ...
Google News

EFF honors Craigslist, Wikipedia founders
Fort Worth Star Telegram, TX - 48 minutes ago
... jobs. Jimmy Wales won for his role creating and overseeing Wikipedia, a free online encyclopedia that lets anyone contribute. The ...
Google News

EFF Honors Craigslist, Wikipedia Founders
Daily Press, VA - 1 hour ago
Google News

Sun-Sentinel.com, FL - 2 hours ago
Google News

TMCnet - 2 hours ago
Google News

The Ledger, FL - 2 hours ago
Google News

Craigslist, Wikipedia founders awarded
KESQ, CA - 1 hour ago
... and jobs. Jimmy Wales won for his role creating and overseeing Wikipedia, a free online encyclopedia that lets anyone contribute.
Google News

Macon Telegraph, GA - 34 minutes ago
Google News

Fort Worth Star Telegram, TX - 3 hours ago
Google News

Press-Enterprise (subscription), CA - 4 hours ago
Google News

Worcester Telegram (subscription), MA - 4 hours ago
blissyu2
There's like 10 versions of this on the RSS feed. Can we delete the extras? Only need 1.
Google News

Monterey County Herald, CA - 5 hours ago
Google News

Contra Costa Times, CA - 5 hours ago
Selina
I thought about that too, I did before by hand deleting the mirrored stories - but then again maybe it's better, because you can see which stories are the most popular/major (to the media, anyway) because they're mirrored the most ~shrug~ I will if you really want tho, just saying
Google News

San Luis Obispo Tribune, CA - 7 hours ago
Google News

Centre Daily Times, PA - 8 hours ago
Google News

WWMT, MI - 1 hour ago
Google News

Boston Herald, United States - 4 hours ago
Dschor
Jimmy Wales honored by the EFF? What are they smoking? Have they not logged on to the site in the last twelve months?
Selina
Doubt it
blissyu2
Let's all be fair here. Wikipedia's achievements are impressive. You try to start up a project on anything and get that amount of success and public recognition. Its darn hard. I made for myself what was a fairly good quality human rights chat site, and it took thousands of hours of work, and ended up not looking anywhere near as rosy as Wikipedia, and nowhere near as popular, and was only barely good enough for a Wikipedia article. Just imagine what is required to get something like Wikipedia off the ground. Sure, some good luck, a lot of money thrown in, and a lot of contributors that worked their butt off for it, but it's still impressive. I don't think anyone here disputes that. And Selina, you still love Wikipedia, you just wish that they'd recognise your contributions to it. And I for one think that you'd make a great administrator.

Sure, Wikipedia has faults, but it has a lot of good stuff too. So what that I got fucked over, or you got fucked over? People get fucked over all over the place. It has faults. Our aim here is to either inform people so that they don't get fucked over, or else to help Wikipedia to not be so crap. Wikipedia has good qualities. I still use it to settle bar bets. And I use it with students to prove why they should research things properly (since using Wikipedia ends up with lots of wrong answers). It has its uses. Its not a waste of space.

And I don't know much about Craig's List, but isn't that rather a shit idea too? I've barely heard of it actually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.