Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Responding to you (Potomac News)
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in the Media
Yahoo! News
Lightning, we are in awe of its bright flashes and jagged edges of light as it illuminates the sky. Yet, it has fascinated man since the beginning of time, long before Ben Franklin's kite experiment in mid-1700.

Article: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/searc...&path=!news
blissyu2
I just felt this strange urge to respond to a topic titled "Responding to you".
Somey
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 14th August 2007, 1:03pm) *

I've always found lightning to be highly responsive - at least to me. Then again, that's probably because I walk around wearing a 140-ft. steel mast on my head.
Jonny Cache

So you're the one answering all the spam !!!

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 16th August 2007, 3:48am) *

I've always found lightning to be highly responsive — at least to me. Then again, that's probably because I walk around wearing a 140-ft. steel mast on my head.

And here I thought you were just glad to see me ...

Jonny cool.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 16th August 2007, 3:48am) *

I've always found lightning to be highly responsive - at least to me. Then again, that's probably because I walk around wearing a 140-ft. steel mast on my head.

Didn't Durova survive being struck by lightning?

My theory is that since Durova is an apparent expert on knowing when people "give misleading information to journalists", what she might have meant when she said...

I'm a war veteran. I've owned a Harley-Davidson and I've handled live rattlesnakes and I've saved an apartment building from burning down. I've even survived being struck by lightning.

...was actually, "I puttered around the Pacific on a government-contracted supply vessel. I've owned a Harley-Davidson brand handbag and I once touched a rattlesnake when it was being anesthetized for biological study and I once remembered to unplug a hot iron that my cat later knocked to the floor when I went shopping for handbags. I've even owned a Portable Plasma Panel that I liked to touch.

I'm not saying Durova's a liar -- just that she could be "giving misleading information".

A NASA website discusses some of the potential after-effects of being struck by lightning:

Neurologic/psychiatric injuries
-Loss of consciousness/coma
-Amnesia/Anxiety/Confusion/Aphasia/Seizures
-Electroencephalographic abnormalities
-Brain/Cerebellum damages
-Numbness/Weakness in limbs/Partial or complete (but temporary) paralysis
-Neuropathy/Pain syndromes
-Spinal cord injury/Parkinsonism
-Sleep and memory disorders / Concentration disturbances / Irritability / Depression / Various other disturbances such as headaches, tiring easily, lightning storm phobia, etc.
-Post traumatic Stress Disorder

Hmmm... maybe Durova wasn't talking about a Portable Plasma Panel when she said she's been struck by lightning.

P.S. Another note from that NASA page -- men are four times more likely than women to get struck by lightning. Durova really is special, isn't she?

Greg
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 16th August 2007, 10:08am) *

P.S. Another note from that NASA page — men are four times more likely than women to get struck by lightning. Durova really is special, isn't she?

Greg

That's because men, hysterically speaking as far.bak as mystology st-retch-es, are four times more likely to say hubristically-challenging things like, "May Zeus strike me down if I'm lying".

In Duh-Rove-A's case however …

``````````````Z.................

Jonny cool.gif
blissyu2
My house was struck by lightning, just last year actually. Wiped out my internet. That, and various other complications afterwards, was why I was knocked off WR for 12 months.

Nah, I'd duke it out with Durova. There's no way she's been through more than me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.