Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Copyright violation
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed

I Steal Wikipedia Content And Get Away With It!
Search Engine Roundtable -48 minutes ago
If Wikipedia content wasn't so full of holes and easy to steal then less might people might be doing this. One member on Webmasterworld explains how he ...

View the article[br]
KamrynMatika
What commercial benefits are there from reusing Wikipedia content on websites (other than mirror sites)?
Daniel Brandt
Webmasters who make money from Google's AdSense require content to trigger the ads that appear on particular pages. If you make up jibberish phrases and sentences, this works only part of the time, because someone might report you to Google, and Google might pull your AdSense account.

If you borrow content from Wikipedia, this works all of the time, and it's also legal if you give credit to Wikipedia. The duplicate-content penalty in Google's ranking system, which was an issue some years ago for webmasters, has been abandoned. It now looks like Google loves anything that encourages AdSense, even if it turns the entire web into a pile of crap.

The sort of webmasters I'm talking about frequently control hundreds of garbage domains, consisting entirely of "Made For AdSense" pages. You click on something of theirs, and you're in redirect hell, ending up on more of their "affiliate" pages.

Google gets 99 percent of its gross revenue from revenues generated by advertising. They are hooked now, even if it means they have to bring the quality of the web down in order to maintain this revenue stream.

This is big business. Google has a $165 billion market capitalization. It's too big to fail, and we're stuck with it the same way Google is stuck with their pathetic business model — a model that would be laughable, if anyone could afford to laugh at it.

Google is evil.
LamontStormstar
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 14th September 2007, 9:35am) *

Webmasters who make money from Google's AdSense require content to trigger the ads that appear on particular pages. If you make up jibberish phrases and sentences, this works only part of the time, because someone might report you to Google, and Google might pull your AdSense account.

If you borrow content from Wikipedia, this works all of the time, and it's also legal if you give credit to Wikipedia. The duplicate-content penalty in Google's ranking system, which was an issue some years ago for webmasters, has been abandoned. It now looks like Google loves anything that encourages AdSense, even if it turns the entire web into a pile of crap.

The sort of webmasters I'm talking about frequently control hundreds of garbage domains, consisting entirely of "Made For AdSense" pages. You click on something of theirs, and you're in redirect hell, ending up on more of their "affiliate" pages.

Google gets 99 percent of its gross revenue from revenues generated by advertising. They are hooked now, even if it means they have to bring the quality of the web down in order to maintain this revenue stream.

This is big business. Google has a $165 billion market capitalization. It's too big to fail, and we're stuck with it the same way Google is stuck with their pathetic business model — a model that would be laughable, if anyone could afford to laugh at it.

Google is evil.

So much for google's motto.

Well when I web search I see a lot of pages that look like content in a google search and when I get them, they're all "click here for more information on [the topic I was searching for]" and it clicks to another directory spam page and this repeats and it might go to a real website and might be some pay per click advertising thing, but I don't click further.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.