Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: YouTube Bomb Video Brings Scrutiny
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
thekohser
I found this article interesting:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7093001648.html

In it, Harvard law professor (and Executive Director of the Berkman Center that handed Jimbo Wales a puffed-up a Berkman "fellowship") John Palfrey is quoted:

John Palfrey, a professor at Harvard Law School who specializes in Internet issues, said it's "pretty clear" under U.S. law that companies such as YouTube do not bear liability for items third parties post.

But, he said: "As more and more important information goes online, and the impact of posting it there continues to grow, some people are starting to question whether we have the right policy."

What YouTube should have done differently is being debated.

The company does appear to have removed the video from the site, though it is not clear how it became aware of the offending spot. The YouTube representative declined to say how many company reviewers it employs or whether any speak Arabic.

The vastness of the YouTube audience means that there are lots of people who could have alerted the company about inappropriate videos, Palfrey noted.

But the number of postings also makes it nearly impossible for the company to check every video before it appears, he said.

Implications for Wikipedia, folks. Implications.

Greg

GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 3rd October 2007, 8:53am) *

Implications for Wikipedia, folks. Implications.

Greg

This video provides a good case for imposing a '"reasonable care" standard rather than complete immunity. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. It is more a case of "hard cases make bad law." I don't advocate for liability for non-content generating ISP or related entities, although I would be happy consider the arguments. Video is a fundamentally different medium than text. Text offers greater opportunities to shape content. WP, via the actions of admins, are in the content generation business and are not entitled to immunity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.