Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slate.com calls Slim a 'likely MI5 agent'
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Daniel Brandt
http://www.slate.com/id/2175651/

Our favorite virgin is mentioned in connection with our favorite spooky agency!
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Wed 10th October 2007, 3:02pm) *

Agger doesn't just attribute the notion to Daniel, as you might expect, but endorses it by labeling SV "a likely agent."
jorge
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 10th October 2007, 10:18pm) *

Agger doesn't just attribute the notion to Daniel, as you might expect, but endorses it by labeling SV "a likely agent."

bump////
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(jorge @ Wed 10th October 2007, 8:26pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 10th October 2007, 10:18pm) *

Agger doesn't just attribute the notion to Daniel, as you might expect, but endorses it by labeling SV "a likely agent".

bump////

What the hell is this bump and ping stuff lately ???

Have attention spans suddenly shrunk to nil ???

Jonny cool.gif
Daniel Brandt
True words written by John Lee Ming Keong. I nominate him as the smartest and most articulate teenager on Wikipedia. (Sorry, John, I realize that this sounds like faint praise. Consider it an accident, because my nomination is truly meant as a compliment.)

I know this sounds like beating a dead horse, but correct me if I'm mistaken - we have never been given an assurance by proponents of this rigid definition that "reliable sources" like Slate cannot be given blanket treatment as attack sites and suddenly have all external links to them suppressed.

Johnleemk
jorge
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 11th October 2007, 2:46am) *

bump////

Jonny cool.gif

Sorry Jonny I was about to fall into the land of nod so felt unable to elaborate.. I'm not sure why this thread hasn't received much attention as Slate.com is a lot higher profile than Ohmynews and similar...

EDIT: I think the thread title doesn't make clear the significance...requested title change
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(jorge @ Thu 11th October 2007, 1:39pm) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Thu 11th October 2007, 2:46am) *

bump////

Jonny cool.gif

Sorry Jonny I was about to fall into the land of nod so felt unable to elaborate … I'm not sure why this thread hasn't received much attention as Slate.com is a lot higher profile than Ohmynews and similar …

EDIT: I think the thread title doesn't make clear the significance … requested title change.

Here's an H<sub>0</sub> — folks coming here from Tabula Rasa Land, unlike most Wikipediots, already know where they're coming from, so they hardly need to hit this thread. What they are hitting is the Skinny On Slimmy (SOS) thread that brought them here from the Wild Blank Yonder (no, the other WBY).

∂'Ôh! — I see you fooled me with the title change …

Jonny cool.gif
Daniel Brandt
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikie...ber/082642.html

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:11:59 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm usually a big fan of Slate, but this is disgraceful. Can someone
> more articulate and who is able to make the point better try and raise
> the issue in Slate's Fray, show them who Brandt is from our
> perspective?

Our article on [[Daniel Brandt]] would have been a good starting point
were it not protected blank.

Good luck explaining this situation to Mr. Agger and his readers.
I doubt anybody is articulate enough to make Wikipedia not sound
unbelievably fucking stupid for being an easy tool in the hands of a
notorious cyber-crackpot.

If somebody told me to put a positive spin on that I wouldn't know
where to begin.

C.W.

Now there's an interesting solution — unprotect the blanked Brandt bio and let everyone write a malicious, defamatory article about what a notorious cyber-crackpot I am.

Should I be laughing or crying? Charlotte got one part right: Wikipedia sounds unbelievably fucking stupid.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Thu 11th October 2007, 6:12pm) *

Charlotte got one part right: Wikipedia sounds unbelievably fucking stupid.

No, I believe it.

Jonny cool.gif
Kato
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Thu 11th October 2007, 11:12pm) *

Now there's an interesting solution — unprotect the blanked Brandt bio and let everyone write a malicious, defamatory article about what a notorious cyber-crackpot I am.

Should I be laughing or crying? Charlotte got one part right: Wikipedia sounds unbelievably fucking stupid.

Indeed. The whole problem with wikipedia is that there just aren't enough revenge articles about people out there.

This cute story reveals more about WP than anything I've ever read elsewhere.

http://adamcadre.ac/content/brown/
Derktar
And from his seat as the High Judge, the supreme enforcer of the codified laws of Wikipedia, and the last bastion of justice, he spoke at last on the matter of Slate as an attack site:

No

Fred

So Slate, even with its pronouncement about SlimVirgin, isn't an attack site, but the same pronouncement coming from Wordbomb qualifies as moral depravity. Clearly there is only one logical choice...Wordbomb should start working for Slate. But if Slate likes its links on Wikipedia they probably wouldn't make that tactical error.
Kato
QUOTE(Derktar @ Fri 12th October 2007, 12:17am) *

but the same pronouncement coming from Wordbomb qualifies as moral depravity.

You mean.....
FORUM Image

Leaning... leaning... safe and secure from all alarms.
Leaning... leaning... leaning on the everlasting arms.

For those who asked about this previously,
the above pic is a cheeky photoshop of
Fred Bauder's head on another body.
Derktar
Damn I always forget the emphasis...hmm is this better?

FORUM Image
OH THE MORAL DEPRAVITY
Piperdown
QUOTE(Derktar @ Thu 11th October 2007, 11:17pm) *

And from his seat as the High Judge, the supreme enforcer of the codified laws of Wikipedia, and the last bastion of justice, he spoke at last on the matter of Slate as an attack site:

No

Fred

So Slate, even with its pronouncement about SlimVirgin, isn't an attack site, but the same pronouncement coming from Wordbomb qualifies as moral depravity. Clearly there is only one logical choice...Wordbomb should start working for Slate. But if Slate likes its links on Wikipedia they probably wouldn't make that tactical error.

That's because Wordbomb gives you unbrideled evidence. Slate gives opinion. So wordbomb is dang-ger-ous.

People who are guilty of something don't worry much about gossip. They worry about da folks who got da goods.
The Joy
Given the whimsical and goofy style of this article and it being an opinion, I doubt too many people are going to take Agger and this article seriously.

Based on the tone of the article, I'm not sure even believes that SV is a likely agent.

I think he's just humoring WR, unfortunately.

The Joy ducking and covering now.
Somey
QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 12th October 2007, 12:33am) *
Based on the tone of the article, I'm not sure even believes that SV is a likely agent.

Nor should he, nor do I, nor should it even be an issue. The issue is that she showed up on WP to push a personal agenda, obtained admin powers to make that easier to do, found a bunch of patsies and stooges to help her, and in the process drove off a bunch of more-worthy editors. But that doesn't make for a snappy hook in a news article, or a sexy sound-bite, or whatever it is they're looking for out there.

But hey, no harm done, right? I mean, if all of this is completely false, then what's the big deal?
blissyu2
It links to WR rather obscurely with a link saying "here", and that's it.
jorge
QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 12th October 2007, 6:33am) *

Given the whimsical and goofy style of this article and it being an opinion, I doubt too many people are going to take Agger and this article seriously.

I don't read a whimsical or goofy nature at all to the article apart from the picture.
Kato
QUOTE(jorge @ Fri 12th October 2007, 12:45pm) *

QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 12th October 2007, 6:33am) *

I don't read a whimsical or goofy nature at all to the article apart from the picture.

I do. He's writing with one eyebrow raised.
jorge
QUOTE(Kato @ Fri 12th October 2007, 1:22pm) *

Actually he goes into a lot of detail and has clearly done a lot of research on it, so I definitely wouldn't ascribe whimsical or goofy to it although he's clearly still not convinced that Google poses a risk to anyone. I think the fact he actually mentioned that SV is a likely agent is something quite significant as there was no reason why he had to include that in the article.
Kato
QUOTE(jorge @ Fri 12th October 2007, 1:37pm) *

Actually he goes into a lot of detail and has clearly done a lot of research on it, so I definitely wouldn't ascribe whimsical or goofy to it although he's clearly still not convinced that Google poses a risk to anyone. I think the fact he actually mentioned that SV is a likely agent is something quite significant as there was no reason why he had to include that in the article.

The reason was to say "Brandt's got a point about this google business, but then Brandt lives in a strange world where he implies that wikipedia editors are likely MI5 agents" or some such message. It isn't pouring scorn on the claim per se, but it is telling the reader to "be warned", that they are "entering a strange world". Still, it has given wider publicity to the strange world of the Slim, which was the point of the posts in the first place.

Somey's right though. It would have been helpful if, long ago, people had taken onboard the very easily proven truth that there was someone controlling a vast number of WP articles and processes, and virtually declaring the whole site to be hers by fiat.
jorge
QUOTE(Kato @ Fri 12th October 2007, 1:46pm) *

The reason was to say "Brandt's got a point about this google business, but then Brandt lives in a strange world where he implies that wikipedia editors are likely MI5 agents" or some such message. It isn't pouring scorn on the claim per se, but it is telling the reader to be warned, that they are entering a strange world.

That's your reading, I don't read that. The fact is Brandt is a good researcher and campaigner. He's not someone who just lies down and lets corporations and special interest groups do whatever they feel like doing.
blissyu2
This section only:

Brandt also has an interesting take on how Google props up Wikipedia as a premier information source, since more than 50 percent of Wikipedia's traffic comes from Google searches. If you wish to enter further into Brandt's matrix, read about how he uncovered a likely MI-5 agent operating on Wikipedia under the alias Slimvirgin. The winding road starts here.

With here pointing to http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showt...st=&#entry40014

Which in turn means that you have to change the setup from threaded to normal by clicking here: http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showt...014&#entry40014
jorge
QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Fri 12th October 2007, 1:54pm) *

This section only:

Brandt also has an interesting take on how Google props up Wikipedia as a premier information source, since more than 50 percent of Wikipedia's traffic comes from Google searches. If you wish to enter further into Brandt's matrix, read about how he uncovered a likely MI-5 agent operating on Wikipedia under the alias Slimvirgin. The winding road starts here.

With here pointing to http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showt...st=&#entry40014

Which in turn means that you have to change the setup from threaded to normal by clicking here: http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showt...014&#entry40014

Yup, that single topic had 56 guests at one point.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(jorge @ Fri 12th October 2007, 6:37am) *

I read the tone as "Brandt might live on the wrong side of the grassy knoll but you discount him at your own peril."
Daniel Brandt
His ID blurb on a staff page at Slate says that "Michael Agger is an associate editor in Slate's New York office. Before joining Slate, he was an editor of the "Goings on About Town" section of The New Yorker. His writing has appeared in that magazine as well as in New York, the New York Times Book Review, Film Comment, and other places."

I spoke with him for over an hour. I can't remember how I got sidetracked and started my SlimVirgin rant. My impression is that he's an excellent journalist, and I think he handled the issues well in his article. He seemed genuinely concerned about how he had been too trusting when it came to Google.

The important thing to remember is that Slate readers are not bloggers, geeks, Usenet veterans, or Wikipedia addicts. They're bourgeois non-technical professionals who cruise on their laptops with their morning coffee, the way they used to read a newspaper. For my concerns about Google, this is an audience that I'm delighted to reach. These readers start out presuming that if Slate spends any amount of space writing about something, then there's something interesting going on, and there's more to it than a bunch of wackos talking about alien abductions. That's how they approach Slate, and that's because Slate is probably the most professional magazine that has ever been created for web-only distribution. By "professional" I mean real-world, old-style, vaguely-liberal journalism that isn't fixated on Silicon Valley.

I was delighted that WR got the link. If someone is not interested in Wikipedia, or the possible role of intelligence agencies in the new digital media, then they don't have to click on it. If they are interested, then there's enough material behind that link for them to chew on.

I believe that Agger took me seriously in the interview, and I felt that his article reflected this. His apparent hedging about the wacky world where I'm coming from is a form of covering himself, sort of like a warning on TV: "This may be inappropriate for children."

He wasn't trying to diss me with that link, but was trying to prepare his readers. There are lots of other links he could have used if he was trying to make me look foolish — some Wikipedia talk pages, for example, or Wikipedia's mailing list.
Kato
Regardless of the differing takes on the link, good work Daniel. With Greg's interviews coming up elsewhere, it's all coming together rather nicely. The message is getting across. And we may just get someone here on the Colbert report still!
blissyu2
Yeah I guess its good if people click on the link, but its just a pity that its a little obscure.
Kato
FORUM ImageBANG! BANG!FORUM Image

Maxwell's Silver Hammer comes down upon Fred's head again!

Love this edit. Of course Maxwell is referring to Fred's crazy clown proposal to the BADSITES case.

It seems a shame we all came down so hard on Maxwell not so long ago. He's certainly fulfilling his promise.
Jonny Cache
Can you spell R-E-D-I-R-E-C-T ???

Too bad Maxwell couldn't …

Jonny cool.gif
guy
QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 12th October 2007, 5:39pm) *

Can you spell R-E-D-I-R-E-C-T ???

Too bad Maxwell couldn't ?Ǫ

Maybe that was deliberate, so that it wouldn't redirect.
The Joy
QUOTE(Kato @ Fri 12th October 2007, 10:21am) *

Regardless of the differing takes on the link, good work Daniel. With Greg's interviews coming up elsewhere, it's all coming together rather nicely. The message is getting across. And we may just get someone here on the Colbert report still!

Yes, good work, Daniel. I just wished Agger had elaborated more on SV and others like her on WP. Of course, the article was more about Google than Wikipedia although Google and WP are becoming more and more like conjoined twins to the point that criticizing one will be criticizing the other.
GlassBeadGame
Fred toys with blackmail here.

We possibly erred in deleting the article on him. This latest mention in the Slate article may have tipped the balance with respect to notability. If he is taken serious by mainstream media, perhaps we ought to have an article. Or perhaps we should make an explicit exception for subjects we are too close to, and not have articles for such subjects.

Fred

...or if you effectively criticize us we will put the article back. Blackmail by editorial policy.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 12th October 2007, 4:15pm) *

Fred toys with blackmail here.

We possibly erred in deleting the article on him. This latest mention in the Slate article may have tipped the balance with respect to notability. If he is taken serious by mainstream media, perhaps we ought to have an article. Or perhaps we should make an explicit exception for subjects we are too close to, and not have articles for such subjects.

Fred

… or if you effectively criticize us we will put the article back. Blackmail by editorial policy.

Yeah, that's the ticket — 'cause it worked so well before !!!

Jonny cool.gif
guy
If he is taken serious by mainstream media

So Slate is mainstream media so can't be an attack site. Good.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(guy @ Fri 12th October 2007, 5:05pm) *

If he is taken serious by mainstream media

So Slate is mainstream media so can't be an attack site. Good.

Developing the syllygism —

"Mainstream Media" (M&M) are allowed to criticize Wikipedia in no uncertain terms and to investigate the real-life identities of its personnel, but nobody else is?

Inquiring minds want to know …

Jonny cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.