Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Madame Wikiwiki gives her take on the funddrive
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikimedia Foundation
the fieryangel
From her Wiki Signpost interview

WS: How do you feel the current fundraiser is going? Are there any current plans to team up with large donors or corporate organizations, either through matching funds donations or individual donations, during this drive?

FD: The fundraiser began October 23 and runs until December 23. In its first 25 days, we brought in USD 708K. If we continue to receive donations at the same average rate of ~28K per day, we will total just a little more than 1m in donations by December 23. However, we have at least two commitments for major donations expected, matching donation type. Some more in the works.
<====Note that she's not mentioning any names about these so-called matching grants. It seems to me that this is awfully sketchy....Generally, these are announced BEFORE a fund drive starts, in order to motivate people to give more. Doing it this way just defeats the purpose, Floflo!

Change in the sitenotice (more attention-grabbing, brighter, bolder) made a significant visible change. Therefore, we continue to make small changes/improvements, with the hope of maintaining people's interest and keeping donations. Some communication initiatives are also planned before the end of the fundraiser (new fundraising landing pages, more translations, bloggers outreach, information package for big donors, fundraising blog, more press releases, Edit Wikipedia Week, holidays gift certificates etc...).
<===You mean that they couldn't create this stuff BEFORE the funddrive began? How amateur, Floflo!

But overall, my personal feeling is that it is not terribly successful. Though I do not have any actual figures to support this, I fear that the current pretty bad financial situation in the USA is impacting our fundraiser. My hope is that all the ongoing initiatives will in particular catch the attention of big donors.
<===Not to mention the Durova fiasco and WP's increasingly bad press! Keep it up, folks!!
Moulton
Money, Money, Token and Portion

The handwriting is on the wall, and the handwringing has now begun.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Fri 23rd November 2007, 11:54am) *

<====Note that she's not mentioning any names about these so-called matching grants. It seems to me that this is awfully sketchy....Generally, these are announced BEFORE a fund drive starts, in order to motivate people to give more. Doing it this way just defeats the purpose, Floflo!

That is indeed strange. So who makes a blind matching pledge? Wait a minute...isn't that like a bet as in wager? As in "I don't think you can raise that much and if you do I'll kick in $XXXX too." So the question is what is on the other side of the wager? What does WP have to do if the money doesn't come in? It is also interesting that more than one party would be involved in the betting. Maybe something about changing business models?
Joseph100
QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 23rd November 2007, 10:57am) *

Money, Money, Token and Portion

The handwriting is on the wall, and the handwringing has now begun.

Money is the milk of wikipeida.. with out it, no servers, no access to the Internet.

My opinion now is that, that efforts should be placed on
a. finding, and watching for "outrages events, positions, hurt, wikipeida and it's leaders admins
participate, and bringing attention to the Mainstream media.

b. To contact your congressmen (democrat or republican since both are at risk for a wiki shine job) and point out the flaws in section 230 in the CDA of 1996 and the need to define better what is a "service provider" vers a "Content provider" and explain what wikipeida is a danger due to the fact that dominates the internet and search engines with misinformation as well as defamation. That Wikipeida is out of control and unaccountable for it's actions and hurt it does. And that blogs like wikipeida should (as in real life law regarding Defamation, Slander, Liable etc be held to account for it's actions.

This is what has to happen...

To the extent, WR has be good as to bring forward the more nasty examples of abuses but more attention (light) needs to be bought on wikipedia and with light the money will dry up.
Robster
She has to keep shearing the sheep pushing the faithful to contribute... who's going to pay the babysitter?
The Joy
QUOTE(Mark Twain)

Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, & over these ideals they dispute & cannot unite — but they all worship money.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.