Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Durova Mitty is a Reliable Source on Harvard
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > Durova
Piperdown
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=176625768

::::::::::Slim, it's a ''Harvard thesis''. I spent a summer at Harvard; I know what their expectations are. People have gotten expelled from that university for honestly forgetting to include citations. They don't mess around. And it's not about a citation that was in the article. A diff of the article itself is being cited for analytical study of site dynamics. <font face="Verdana">[[User:Durova|<span style="color:#009">Durova</span>]]</font><sup>''[[User talk:Durova|Charge!]]''</sup> 20:09, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

The things I learn from Durova!

a - She spent a summer at Harvard, so she's a reliable source on "Harvard". I once spent a summer at a college drunk on gin, but couldn't really tell you how it's made. Something about juniper berries.

b - Harvard's kicked people out for not citing something? No, no they haven't durova. They might have expelled someone for plagiarising. A lot. After warnings. Unlike what WP does to editors, who are expelled for politely pointing out things that prove you're an idiot.

c - Harvard doesn't mess around? I've messed around at Harvard. I've messed around with some chick surnamed Harvey. Harvard messed around a lot. Especially if you are a legacy.

I think we're going to need a reliable source of summer school transcripts before we can declare Durova a resident expert on Harvard. Recuse SV from that judgement, she declared Chip Berlet an expert once.
Robster
Alas... where is this generation's Lloyd Bentsen, to say "Durova, I served with Harvard students: I knew Harvard students; Harvard students were friends of mine. Durova, you're no Harvard student"?

It's becoming laughable and sad at the same time - she's shoved her foot so far into her mouth that she can kick her own [redacted].

One wonders if WP is going to run her off before the damage she causes the project becomes irreversible.
Disillusioned Lackey
I know people don't like Slim much(and some actively hate her), but she was a PhD candidate at Cambridge for a while, so I'm thinking that she knows how to cite sources. Durova needs to learn to stop bossing people around and throwing whatever weight she can pull out of her behind, because when she's doing it to Slim, that's kind of pushing the envelope (if there's any envelope left). Anyways, can Durova not stop showing off for 5 minutes when she's in international disgrace? Really, someone should shake her and tell her to go on a vacation.
Somey
I suspect this is an honest mistake - or rather, Durova is probably just a little confused, misremembering the notorious scandal back in 1978 when a Harvard student was expelled for operating an international car-thievery ring out of his dorm room. Apparently the school's administration didn't mind the actual thievery itself, but they were incensed that no Chevy Citations were stolen, since as is well known, the 1975 Chevy Citation is the Official Cheap Ol' Busted-Ass Ride™ of Harvard University.

FORUM Image

At least that's how I remember it... admittedly, I didn't look it up just now. Maybe I'll get to that tomorrow, or next week...

unsure.gif

Seriously, though, couldn't she, or the foundation, be sued by Harvard for making such an outlandish claim? I mean, shee-it - lying about something Greg Kohs or someone on WR said is one thing, but if this sort of ludicrous allegation actually became widely believed somehow, it could affect Harvard's applicant-pool numbers, maybe even their alumni donations. And then they probably wouldn't "mess around."
Piperdown
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Sat 8th December 2007, 11:46pm) *

I know people don't like Slim much(and some actively hate her), but she was a PhD candidate at Cambridge for a while

Yes, she was. With Patrick M. Byrne.

Who made her cry once. Not that it was very difficult to do. Word on the Cambridge street is that saying "hi" would be likely to have the same effect.

I'm sure Wikipedia being on an Byrne is evil jihad is just a coincidence.

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 9th December 2007, 12:29am) *

Apparently the school's administration didn't mind the actual thievery itself, but they were incensed that no Chevy Citations were stolen, since as is well known, the 1975 Chevy Citation is the Official Cheap Ol' Busted-Ass Ride™ of Harvard University.

FORUM Image

as my ongoing parallels theme, I once spent a summer driving a late-70's Chevy Citation (not by choice). I was never cited for it though, but did drive around in good faith.

i am not a reliable source on Chevy Citations though, so you'd better ask Durova. Who probably invented them.
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Piperdown @ Sat 8th December 2007, 2:58pm) *

I think we're going to need a reliable source of summer school transcripts before we can declare Durova a resident expert on Harvard. Recuse SV from that judgement, she declared Chip Berlet an expert once.

First of all, this was all about getting Brandt's page to a student for a thesis. That is tree stump stupid, and Durova should know that. Maybe she's trying to be nasty to Brandt. For her sake, I hope so. Because if she is this stupid, it bodes ill for her. Second of all, SV is right. Sourcing for academic papers is about the same worldwide. Harvard or no Harvard, citations are citations.

Third of all, I've gone to summer university programs in some interesting places, and the most defining aspect of the experience is that I learned nothing about the institution(s) hosting the summer program. Some of the programs were hosted by a school in one place, and implemented in another. Some were on the campus. But in all cases, I learned nothing about how the actual institutional factory. I learned things, I had a great time, I had an amazing life experience. But the nature of a summer program is it is

SUMMER
Disillusioned Lackey
NEWSFLASH: "HARVARD THESIS" INSPIRED DUROVA's ANGELA AFD

Uncomplimentary comments on Durova Talk Page by Cluduc (who quit shortly thereafter) This is actually about the Angela AFD, but somehow seems appropriate here. Durova told him to "refactor his edit" which opposed the AFD.

My comments

... are rather strong, but so is the strong whiff of "courteous" relationships going on in this community. My communications with all other members are aboveboard, for all to see. Any other arrangement is, by my definition, corruption of the principles of openness which Wikipedia once stood for. So no thank you, I do not care to "refactor" my comments, nor do I wish to hide them on a secret mailing list. Cleduc (talk)

Well, I apologize for having offended you. I confirmed this biography subject's wishes by the same means as I confirmed every other BLP article I nominated for deletion. Although I respect the impulse to see these requests posted directly onsite, confirming their authenticity would be problematic that way. Do you have a better suggestion for how to go about it, if this isn't sufficiently above board? DurovaCharge! 23:45, 8 December 2007 (UTC)

You have not offended me, so no apology is necessary on that account. Your recent actions damaged this project, for which you have already apologized. This AFD draws disturbing parallels with the ongoing controversy, particularly as it involves the now-ominous word "courtesy" and a Foundation insider. The timing of this action could not have been worse: you presently have poor credibility with the community at large. In the best case, this AFD demonstrates very poor judgment on your part. Cleduc (talk) 00:05, 9 December 2007 (UTC)

The previous history of nominating two of Wikipedia's most prominent critics' biographies on the same basis ought to dispel that supposition. Our policy is WP:AGF. I hope everyone weighs the nomination on its own merits, and in light of the precedents cited, without reference to unrelated events. WP:AFD is supposed to be a referendum on the article, not the nominator. DurovaCharge! 00:12, 9 December 2007 (UTC)

I understand AGF quite well, thank you, along with the line in red – so if I were you, I wouldn't be dropping that particular card right about now. In any case, thanks for the memories. Cleduc (talk) 00:41, 9 December 2007 (UTC)

Well said, and I apologize for any impropriety. DurovaCharge! 01:14, 9 December 2007 (UTC)

If it makes any difference to clarify, this nomination was an outgrowth of a discussion I've been having with a Harvard student who's writing a thesis on Wikipedia. For about six weeks we've been in periodic contact.
This site's deletion dynamics play a role in her study and she recently mentioned the different outcomes of some similar biography nominations. I had nominated some of the other pages, but never this one. The timing was awkward, I agree, but the previous nominations set such a clear precedent for objectivity that I doubted anyone would contstrue mischief. I haven't nominated anything on that student's behalf, really, (this was my idea) and it's doubtful the result of this would even happen in time for the thesis deadline.(babble babble babble babble droooool) I won't deny we were curious. Another nomination seemed justifiable after half a year and the other precedents. Angela Beesley agreed to try it. DurovaCharge!

(oh! HARVARD you said! BECAUSE THAT MEANS EVERYTHING YOU DO IS OK - (remember Harvard was the reason Durova gave for Brandt's bio being undeleted)

We didn't know that this was related to the HARVARD thesis request. It all ties together! The nutjob Harvard thesis Durova request to undelete Brandt, the Angela AFD, and the chocolate cookies she backed yesterday)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.