Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IRS issues new Form 990
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikimedia Foundation
thekohser
The Internal Revenue Service has beefed up its Form 990 (required filing for U.S. non-profits). According to this non-partisan review, the new form addresses "the increased demand for transparency and accountability."

That will be bad news for the notoriously less-than-transparent and legally-unaccountable WMF.

Greg
Samuel Culper Sr.
Might not mean terribly much to people around here, but that's one of the bad things about Danny leaving.

The one that was actually pushing for transparency/accountability in the high levels leaves. Look at the storm that has followed his departure.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Samuel Culper Sr. @ Fri 4th January 2008, 11:57am) *

Might not mean terribly much to people around here, but that's one of the bad things about Danny leaving.

The one that was actually pushing for transparency/accountability in the high levels leaves. Look at the storm that has followed his departure.

I would rather the IRS insist on transparency than Danny talk about it. Also Danny stood for RfA (reconfirmation) on a platform of "oh if you knew what I know" indicating he was saving more disclosures for Board of Trustee run, which ultimately failed. Funny kind of transparency.
KStreetSlave
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 4th January 2008, 12:10pm) *

QUOTE(Samuel Culper Sr. @ Fri 4th January 2008, 11:57am) *

I would rather the IRS insist on transparency than Danny talk about it. Also Danny stood for RfA (reconfirmation) on a platform of "oh if you knew what I know" indicating he was saving more disclosures for Board of Trustee run, which ultimately failed. Funny kind of transparency.

Danny's board run failed because he went public with dirty laundry about Oscar and Florence, that they didn't want public, so they said "oh how dare you slander me". Keep in mind that Danny probably had to sign an NDA when he left so he can't disclose much (Carolyn did, anyway).

Danny filed the grant requests. He did the audits. He tracked the finances. And in his own words, when he left, none of that stuff got touched, and is still sitting there. I've seen him say multiple times in multiple venues that "If you look in such and such a place in the office you'll see my files on blah blah blah". Said files are still sitting there, untouched by everyone else since then.

Danny is a disagreeable person when he doesn't like something. So, not too different than the current board. We should convince him to run again and push to elect him: then we'll have an experienced board member, who already knows the system and to some extent the community, who is FOR transparency.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.