Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unverified credentials, ArbCom, and User:Newyorkbrad
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(Somey @ March 2, 2008)
This thread has now been restored after the removal of wording (and photographs) which, either overtly or subtly, could have encouraged readers to seek out the identity of the thread's subject, or given the impression that The Wikipedia Review (as an entity) meant to encourage readers to do so.

We (the administrators and moderators of The Wikipedia Review) understand that the removal of this material will be controversial. Nevertheless, we wish to make it clear that while this website does not specifically prohibit the discussion of the actual or possible real-life identities of various users and administrators of the Wikipedia website, discussions of this nature must be justified by the prior actions of those users and administrators, rather than merely the potential for future damage to personal reputations, or to the historical record, due to incompetence, inaction, or deliberate malfeasance. In this case, it was determined that the standard for justification had not been met.

In particular, the posting of photographs purported to be of the thread's subject was a hotly-contested issue, despite the fact that the photographs were originally posted on Wikimedia Foundation servers under the GFDL and obtained from there. In the end, since the issue had already been raised, we decided to allow two of the three photos - with a link to the third showing its overall pictorial context - in the hopes that this might at least prevent anyone interested in the person's identity from pursuing a "false positive."

- Somey

On February 20, 2008 I asked administrators on this Board to remove this thread that I started about Newyorkbrad. This thread provoked 4,611 page views in just over three days. It generated hostility toward me, even though I've been consistent in my criticisms of Wikipedia for more than two years now.

I made a mistake by requesting that this thread be removed. While I appreciate Wikipedia Review's administrators and moderators for their willingness to honor my request, I have now asked them to restore this thread. It is locked down because I still feel that the hostility toward me caused the thread to take an objectionable turn, and it seemed to be gaining momentum in this direction. Now that tempers have cooled after nearly two weeks, any new comments about this issue are better placed in a new thread.

—Daniel Brandt

Who is Newyorkbrad? We know the names of almost all arbitrators. Stewards and members of the Board are required to reveal their real names.

Who is Newyorkbrad? I want to know for the record, even if he's universally acknowledged as a nice guy. He wrote recently, "My off-wiki resume includes 20 years of experience as a litigation attorney in Manhattan."

He goes to Wikipedia meets in NYC:

FORUM ImageFORUM Image [redacted; see here]

Someone must know his name. Email me: wiki-watch AT sbcglobal.net
Kato
Whoever he is, NewYorkBrad is streets ahead of any other leading Wikipedian in terms of common sense and good practice. He's probably WPs best hope of reform before its too late, and one of the only people standing between folks like JzG pulling down the whole place in a blaze of ridiculous scandals.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 17th February 2008, 8:21am) *

Whoever he is, NewYorkBrad is streets ahead of any other leading Wikipedian in terms of common sense and good practice. He's probably WPs best hope of reform before its too late, and one of the only people standing between folks like JzG pulling down the whole place in a blaze of ridiculous scandals.

Caution can avoid you controversy, but isn't a substitute for leadership. What I've seen so far is that New York Brad gets the best of every discussion by holding back and letting others make all the tough calls as he climbs through the hierarchy. Perhaps this will no longer be true as he amasses power.

But as of now, I've seen no evidence (or is it only that I haven't seen it?) that NYB is willing to confront the community's excesses, beyond declining to participate in them himself.
Aloft
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 17th February 2008, 4:53am) *
Caution can avoid you controversy, but isn't a substitute for leadership. What I've seen so far is that New York Brad gets the best of every discussion by holding back and letting others make all the tough calls as he climbs through the hierarchy.
Yep, exactly. The key to power on Wikipedia isn't making friends, it's avoiding enemies. I've never seen him risk his popularity to take a stand on what he thought was right. Compare him to people like Giano, Cla68, Cool Hand Luke, SirFozzie, etc. These people are willing to risk their necks to do what's right, and that's why they will never rise any farther in the power structure.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Aloft @ Sun 17th February 2008, 11:54am) *

The key to power on Wikipedia isn't making friends, it's avoiding enemies. I've never seen him risk his popularity to take a stand on what he thought was right. Compare him to people like Giano, Cla68, Cool Hand Luke, SirFozzie, etc. These people are willing to risk their necks to do what's right, and that's why they will never rise any farther in the power structure.

This is true in real life, is it not.
Aloft
Not to the extent that it is on Wikipedia. Take a look at any RFA.

LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 17th February 2008, 10:53am) *

Caution can avoid you controversy, but isn't a substitute for leadership. What I've seen so far is that New York Brad gets the best of every discussion by holding back and letting others make all the tough calls as he climbs through the hierarchy. Perhaps this will no longer be true as he amasses power.

But as of now, I've seen no evidence (or is it only that I haven't seen it?) that NYB is willing to confront the community's excesses, beyond declining to participate in them himself.

Hmmm... we touched upon this discussion before in the ArbCom election discussion; Gorbachev or Palladin (I really hope that if I mispelt either it is the Star Wars character).

My concern with his actions at ArbCom is that his language has changed a bit from that he may have used with clients to that he uses with RL colleagues; he has lost me on one section, and I hate that! rolleyes.gif
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sun 17th February 2008, 11:07am) *

"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the TickTockMan — Harlen Ellison [sic]

"Repent, Misspeller!", Said the [Sic]SocMan — ¬Harlan Ellison

Jonny cool.gif
Daniel Brandt
I am curious about whether Newyorkbrad should claim he's an attorney, and answer questions about the law on Wikipedia talk pages, at the same time that he refuses to identify himself in real life and leaves us unable to verify his credentials. Now that he's an arbitrator, this question is more important. I thought that the legal profession tended to frown on this.

Isn't this the same issue that we had with Essjay? Didn't Jimbo brag to the press that he was going to fix this so that credentials could be verified?

In terms of his on-wiki behavior, he appears to be rational and even-tempered, but it's true that he never takes sides. He's sort of a process technician, which amounts to an implicit endorsement for Wikipedia and all of its processes. We all know that the system is utterly corrupt and bleeding to death. A box of nice little bandages offered by a polite technician is not what Wikipedia needs, nor does the offer deserve much credit.

Essjay too was generally well-liked for his on-wiki activities, and that didn't cut it at all in the real world.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Sun 17th February 2008, 11:39am) *

I am curious about whether Newyorkbrad should claim he's an attorney, and answer questions about the law on Wikipedia talk pages, at the same time that he refuses to identify himself in real life and leaves us unable to verify his credentials. Now that he's an arbitrator, this question is more important. I thought that the legal profession tended to frown on this.

Isn't this the same issue that we had with Essjay? Didn't Jimbo brag to the press that he was going to fix this so that credentials could be verified?

In terms of his on-wiki behavior, he appears to be rational and even-tempered, but it's true that he never takes sides. He's sort of a process technician, which amounts to an implicit endorsement for Wikipedia and all of its processes. We all know that the system is utterly corrupt and bleeding to death. A box of nice little bandages offered by a polite technician is not what Wikipedia needs, nor does the offer deserve much credit.

Essjay too was generally well-liked for his on-wiki activities, and that didn't cut it at all in the real world.

I think you have a good point Daniel. Pseudonymous identities are completely incompatible with asserting credentials. NYB should reveal his identity if he claims a professional credential. This can be argued even if you do not accept the need to completely eliminate anonymous and pseudonymous editing. The honest cost of acting under a pseudonym is forgoing any claim to the credential even if you actually possess it. The user of the pseudonym may use their skills to persuade but should not have any recourse to the authority of the credential. It is as if nothing whatsoever was learned from the Essjay scandal.
D.A.F.
Taking sides, particularly the right side is a wikisuicide for anyone who wants to climb on the top of the wikihierarchy. Newyorkbrad is not immune to that, and I don't see why so many have such expectations. Right now he sit with Paul August on the moderate side, we still don't know if he will remain that way, it's too soon to know if the system will corrupt him.
Robster

Not just the legal profession, but the law itself.

Unless he provides evidence of being a lawyer (i.e., a license with his name on it), isn't he illegally practicing law without a license?
KamrynMatika
QUOTE(Robster @ Sun 17th February 2008, 8:32pm) *

Unless he provides evidence of being a lawyer (i.e., a license with his name on it), isn't he illegally practicing law without a license?

Well no, because he's not practicing law on Wikipedia.
One
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Sun 17th February 2008, 9:04pm) *

Well no, because he's not practicing law on Wikipedia.

Yeah... (sheesh)

Unless, of course, he's writing contracts in user space and telling someone about their particular obligations under ADA. The closest he comes is when someone tries to make him answer whether he thinks something is a copyright violation (or the like), and as far as I can tell he's always appropriately reserved in those cases.
guy
QUOTE(Aloft @ Sun 17th February 2008, 11:54am) *

I've never seen him risk his popularity to take a stand on what he thought was right.

Let's see him act on any of the innumerable unfair blocks we've discussed. If Poetlister is too hot a potato, how about Taxwoman? Oh, FT2 will stop him.
Daniel Brandt
If we're still stuck on this a month from now, I'll snail-mail a letter to all the bald litigation attorneys named Brad in Manhattan who look like him, and explain that someone suggested the Wikipedia Brad is one and the same as yours truly, and invite them to deny it.

I have a feeling that the innocent ones would want to respond with a denial for the record. At the same time, a guilty party would be taking a huge risk with a false denial in writing. If Brad has been in Manhattan for 20 years, any attorney who looks like him has probably been confused with him previously, and may even know who he is.

I think Brad should just give his real name on his user page, before this issue gets more involved. Jimbo is on record in the mainstream media as stating that claimed credentials should be verifiable. That means Brad cannot expect much support from Jimbo on this issue. And Jimbo is involved, whether he likes it or not, because Jimbo technically appointed Brad to the ArbCom.

One possibility is for Jimbo to claim that he has verified Brad to his own satisfaction, but mere Wikipedians are not allowed to see the evidence. That would make Jimbo look stupid to any reporter who asks about this.

Oh wait, what am I saying? Jimbo always looks stupid to reporters these days.
guy
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Sun 17th February 2008, 10:10pm) *

Jimbo is on record in the mainstream media as stating that claimed credentials should be verifiable.

Jimbo's got an obvious get-out. He was referring to the use of claimed credentials when arguing over disputed factual points in articles (Essjay on religious articles) not when standing for ArbCom. It may look good to him, though maybe not to outsiders.

Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 17th February 2008, 4:19pm) *

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Sun 17th February 2008, 10:10pm) *

Jimbo is on record in the mainstream media as stating that claimed credentials should be verifiable.

Jimbo's got an obvious get-out. He was referring to the use of claimed credentials when arguing over disputed factual points in articles (Essjay on religious articles) not when standing for ArbCom. It may look good to him, though maybe not to outsiders.

Doesn't hold water. Legal training and credentials, and the reputation of being legally qualified that Newyorkbrad enjoys, is useful for any ArbCom member who has to make statements on obscure matters of procedure. It's much more crucial and relevant in this case than it was when Essjay made edits concerning obscure points within Roman Catholic tradition, practice, and canon law.
WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Sun 17th February 2008, 12:07am) *
I want to know for the record, even if he's universally acknowledged as a nice guy. He wrote recently, "My off-wiki resume includes 20 years of experience as a litigation attorney in Manhattan."

Daniel,

When you have established a good sense of who he is, remember, I have warned him several times that a law license is not something he should be willing to risk, for the sake of joining a band of kids playing an internet game called Wikipedia. He cannot and should not be allowed to practice law in New York and then play law at Jimmy's game. One is real, the other is not.
Error59
QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Sun 17th February 2008, 11:49pm) *

When you have established a good sense of who he is, remember, I have warned him several times that a law license is not something he should be willing to risk, for the sake of joining a band of kids playing an internet game called Wikipedia. He cannot and should not be allowed to practice law in New York and then play law at Jimmy's game. One is real, the other is not.

How on earth would Brad's law license be at risk? And why can't someone practicing law be involved in Wikipedia? It's not illegal.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Robster @ Sun 17th February 2008, 3:32pm) *

I don't see how you can "practice law without a license" if you actually have a license, although giving advice in a jurisdiction you are not admitted to might be unauthorized practice. Anyone is free to discuss the law with or without a license. In fact many faculty members of very fine law schools do not belong to any bar. Practicing law would require that someone applied the law to a specific set of facts and could reasonably expect someone to act in accordance with their advice. If that was the case I would think the bar authority that one claimed membership in would at least want to verify. Even without "practicing law" holding yourself out as an attorney when you are not would be a serious matter. Of course this post is for discussion purposes only and is not legal advice. If someone has a concern that someone might be practicing law without a license they should consult a local attorney or the relevant bar authority.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(dtobias @ Sun 17th February 2008, 6:03pm) *
Granted, if it should actually turn out that he's not a real lawyer after all, that would be another Essjay-style scandal, but if he is exactly what he says he is, is there really any need to expose exactly which New York lawyer he is and threaten to cause trouble for his career, in retaliation for... exactly what?

That's exactly the point — we have no evidence that he isn't another Essjay. Given Wikipedia's track record, odds are fairly good that he could be another Essjay. The burden of proof should be on him and/or on Jimbo to provide evidence of his credentials. It should not be on me. I don't have the resources to check out every admin on Wikipedia.
Somey
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=192075187
Statement by Newyorkbrad

I am currently the subject of a discussion thread on an external site, in which contributors are attempting to locate my real-world name and biographical information. I object as a matter of principle to this type of activity, which is calculated if not designed to deter editors who prefer to edit anonymously from continuing to contribute to Wikipedia, but obviously I am powerless to stop it.

I have thus far chosen to edit Wikipedia under a username without disclosing my real-world identity on-wiki, because I maintain a separation between my work on this project and my other activities. I came here originally to write articles and have, somewhat to my surprise, become more and more involved in the administrative and dispute-resolution aspects of the site. None of these activities have anything to do with my real-world employment or other activities, other than the occasional Wikipedia meet-up.

The related question has been raised whether the credentials I have claimed on-wiki (primarily my 20 years of experience as a litigation attorney in New York) are legitimate. Although I prefer to edit anonymously, my identity is known to members of the Board of Trustees (from when I was appointed as a member of the committee that supervised the Board elections) and the Arbitration Committee (from when I was appointed as a Clerk). I have also attended a number of meet-ups and have identified myself to several other Wikipedians in good standing who were kind enough to express interest. I have never used my legal qualifications in a dispute over article content (my article contributions are generally obscure enough that there are generally no disputes, though I sometimes fear that there also is generally no readership). However, if the concern being expressed on the external site is that I might be inventing a false identity to look more qualified to be an administrator or an arbitrator, then the alleged concern could certainly have been addressed by means short of posting enlargements of three photographs from meet-ups and an all-points-bulletin for identification of New York lawyers with the name Brad.

The perception has also been expressed on the external site that I have "amassed power" on Wikipedia (power? to do what? to spend my free time looking at diffs of evidence?) by focusing on "process" while rarely expressing opinions about controversial matters. It is quite true that my style has been to try to resolve disputes rather than to create them. Over the past year and a half, though, I think I've spoken out on various divisive and complex issues and expressed strong opinions as much as any other Wikipedian, though I'm not going to bother to enumerate examples here. For what it's worth, some of the time I have agreed with views expressed on the external site in question; and some of the time I've disagreed with them; and at other times it is hard to say because the contributors to that site are themselves divided on the issue, although they rarely stop to consider that this fact might suggest that the issues are more complex than they otherwise posit.

Now that I am on the Arbitration Committee, I will probably be wading into fewer disputes on the noticeboards—partly for the reason that Miltopia identified in a post a couple of months ago, i.e., to avoid a perception of partiality if the disputes later come to arbitration, and partly because sometimes anything an arbitrator says is perceived as some sort of official pronouncement even when it is not meant that way. (Miltopia's thoughts combined with the calls for various arbitrators to recuse in the pending Mantanmoreland case raise the question of how far, in the name of disinterestedness and the creation of recusal standards, we want to go toward creating a class of arbitrators who are somewhat cut off from the general administrator community—a concern that parallels the oft-expressed concern that we have a class of administrators somewhat cut off from the general editing community. But I digress.)

However, I'll certainly be taking sides and casting votes for the next three years as an arbitrator, so if my strategy had been to attain an arbitrator position by not taking sides on any controversial matter, which it was not, such a strategy would certainly have been a self-limiting and self-defeating one. I was enormously flattered and gratified by the level of support I received during the ArbCom election, but I was also aware that the day the election closed marked the maximum level of popularity I could ever enjoy here, because once I started voting on cases, I would begin upsetting and disappointing people. Which is exactly what is happening, albeit even sooner than I expected, and sometimes with editors whose friendship I have been very disappointed seemingly to lose.

As for the "outing" attempt, it is, I submit, counterproductive to the goals that many of the contributors to Wikipedia Review (okay, I got tired of typing "the external site") say they strive for. Threads on WR sometimes express concern that too much of Wikipedia is run by "a bunch of teenagers." Now I happen to think that many of the teenagers are doing exemplary jobs and I believe strongly in the principle of equal rights among contributors—but let's accept, as a working hypothesis, that older and more experienced people have a role to play in carrying out responsibilities such as dispute resolution. Let's even accept, purely as a working hypothesis and without prejudice, that there is a possibility that I am doing a halfway decent job. In that case, I cannot for the life of me understand why one would undertake an effort to unearth private information that I have chosen, obviously intentionally, not to reveal on-wiki and risk causing me or others similarly situated to want to leave.

While part of me is enraged at the attempt to identify me, another part of me is not surprised that this is happening and was expecting it to happen a good deal sooner. This is, however, an example of the sort of thing that I believe gives some of Wikipedia's critics a reputation for seeking purely to hurt our project rather than improve it. Unlike many other Wikipedians who ignore Wikipedia Review, for the past several months I have read substantially every word written on the publicly accessible portions of that site. Some of what is said there is right. Some of what is said there is wrong, or at best debatable, but it provides insight into what people think. As I said when I was asked the question during the election, the site is a mixed bag. But a thread like today's provides powerful ammunition for those who believe that Wikipedia Review is unworthy of respect or engagement because it is a place populated primarily by people who hate Wikipedia and hate Wikipedians.

In any event, whatever happens, I will do my best not to let this situation affect my work as an editor, an administrator, or an arbitrator.

Like anything else on Wikipedia, this post is GFDL licensed and may be copied to other sites, but as a courtesy I ask that anyone copying it do so only in its entirety. Newyorkbrad (talk) 23:38, 17 February 2008 (UTC)

P.S. I would also like to express my thanks to those who have posted supportively. Newyorkbrad (talk) 00:26, 18 February 2008 (UTC)
Somey
Look, there's nothing morally or ethically wrong with wanting to know who the guy is, given that he's representing himself on WP as an attorney. I'm sorry, but "because I maintain a separation between my work on this project and my other activities" just doesn't cut it. He should probably either tell everyone that he's been lying about his legal background, or identify himself. Then again, if the Board of Trustees believes him, then that's going to be good enough for the WP'ers, I suppose...

Anyway, the guy obviously doesn't want to be identified, and frankly I see no reason why he should be. If Daniel wants to go out of his way and figure out who he is, then fine - but I'd rather not see Wikipedia Review dragged into this, given that this person is generally well-liked and not really abusive, or even especially biased from what I can tell.

He hasn't been identified yet, so frankly I don't see what harm has been done so far, other than putting up those godawful photos. I've got half a mind to excise them myself, if only to improve the site's overall aesthetic appearance. (Then again, like I should talk... I ought to lose at least 15 pounds myself, mostly off the midsection, and I'm not even a lawyer!)
badlydrawnjeff
For what it's worth, I always viewed NYB as one of the Good Guys, and I only learned he was a lawyer after I had finished things up with the project. If there was any evidence of him using his position as a cudgel, I didn't see it and we crossed paths fairly often. I actually always assumed we were around the same age (I'll be 27 in a few weeks).

I do wonder, however, how many people did vote for him for ArbCom because he's a Real! Live! Lawyer! and thus would understand those sorts of disputes better. If I didn't trust him (and I do), I'd probably be more than a little concerned, and god knows what the prevaling attitude here is about the WP power structure, so I don't think NYB can win in this - if he gives out his real name, it inevitably results in the firm(s?) he works/worked for, and then becomes a sort of situation like Fred, where one thing that might not be great comes out and takes precedence, and for no good reason.

Let me put it another way - for a guy who buys into the project as much as he does, he's not drinking the kool aid the way (the royal) we can point in obvious ways to other folks of power and prestige in the Wikipedia community. If there's anyone who's got the power to be a difference maker and can actually be somewhat of an advocate toward those here who have been wronged in the past, it's likely him, and it's probably not a good idea to assume he's Essjay II unless there's some pretty compelling evidence to suggest it. Of all the problem characters who remain on the project, it's probably a better strategy to focus on outside reform about those characters rather than going off on the one guy who might actually do the right thing when it comes around. After all, we already know we largely can't trust his ArbCom colleagues.
Aaron Brenneman
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 18th February 2008, 1:50pm) *

...given that he's representing himself on WP as an attorney.

I only looked very briefly, but I was not able to find where NYB has done anything beyond a simple statement of fact in his arbcom nomination* and some questions from the peanut gallery before the voting.** If and when there are diffs showing NYB performing an "expert close"*** or something similar, then this discussion might be tenable.

Even then, given the divisive nature of such an inquiry, it would best be performed on-wiki to avoid stirring up any further BADSITES paranoia.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arb...nts#Newyorkbrad
** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arb...r_the_candidate
*** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...h_nomination%29
BobbyBombastic
Heh, well, Brad really does seem like a thoughtful guy. I cannot think of one thing that he did that I dislike.

Daniel Brandt wants to find out who he is and is probably going to find out who he is. I'm not really sure I agree with that, but I don't have to. Daniel Brandt has his own reasons for doing things.

That said, I cannot think of another person on WP that has or would respond the way NYB did. To me that suggests that he's genuine and wants to help change things that he (apparently) reads us bitch about on a daily basis. The opposite could be true, of course, and he could be a master politician. I am usually suspicious of anyone that is very well liked (because I assume they are not very well known) but at this point I personally suspend that suspicion of Brad.

BUT, very few people here are in any position to morally judge Daniel Brandt for the way he goes about things, because most of us have not been through what he has.
WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 17th February 2008, 8:50pm) *

Look, there's nothing morally or ethically wrong with wanting to know who the guy is, given that he's representing himself on WP as an attorney. I'm sorry, but "because I maintain a separation between my work on this project and my other activities" just doesn't cut it. He should probably either tell everyone that he's been lying about his legal background, or identify himself. Then again, if the Board of Trustees believes him, then that's going to be good enough for the WP'ers, I suppose...

Anyway, the guy obviously doesn't want to be identified, and frankly I see no reason why he should be. If Daniel wants to go out of his way and figure out who he is, then fine - but I'd rather not see Wikipedia Review dragged into this, given that this person is generally well-liked and not really abusive, or even especially biased from what I can tell.

He hasn't been identified yet, so frankly I don't see what harm has been done so far, other than putting up those godawful photos. I've got half a mind to excise them myself, if only to improve the site's overall aesthetic appearance. (Then again, like I should talk... I ought to lose at least 15 pounds myself, mostly off the midsection, and I'm not even a lawyer!)

I, for one, have nothing against Brad, or anyone at Wikipedia, for that matter. I believe it was Brad that deleted the guy claiming to be me, or at least the account that was set up to appear to be me. Along with Isotope23, Brad did me a favor, in my opinion. Because I run several businesses, I certainly do not want, nor do I need, a bunch of kids making up stories about me or my family.

My only problem with Wikipedia is the basic business and moral model (or lack thereof) from which the site operates. It is fatally flawed and will ultimately fail. Mediocre and the mean, is the default result toward which their consensus operates. Without being careful, Wikipedia will end up right where it is headed. It should be merged and redirected to a corporate structure with real live laws and a hierarchy of wise people. Wisdom comes from age; not being smart.

As for outing Brad, I suppose I could do that, albeit, I do not find that necessary, nor do I find it seemly. He knows who he is, as does anyone in his chosen profession. It is not that difficult to understand why he would prefer to stay private. I wish the people at Wikipedia would respect that thesis and live by it. I am grateful to not have a presence there.

smile.gif

GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Sun 17th February 2008, 9:56pm) *

Let me put it another way - for a guy who buys into the project as much as he does, he's not drinking the kool aid the way (the royal) we can point in obvious ways to other folks of power and prestige in the Wikipedia community. If there's anyone who's got the power to be a difference maker and can actually be somewhat of an advocate toward those here who have been wronged in the past, it's likely him, and it's probably not a good idea to assume he's Essjay II unless there's some pretty compelling evidence to suggest it. Of all the problem characters who remain on the project, it's probably a better strategy to focus on outside reform about those characters rather than going off on the one guy who might actually do the right thing when it comes around. After all, we already know we largely can't trust his ArbCom colleagues.

Nonsense. External dispute resolution, by real professionals who know that credibility requires they have no need or even desire to hide their identity is the the only realistic hope of reform. Anyone willing to serve on a forum at Mr. Wales pleasure is by definition suspect. That he hides his identity ought to be a significant concern.
Somey
QUOTE(Aaron Brenneman @ Sun 17th February 2008, 9:07pm) *
I only looked very briefly, but I was not able to find where NYB has done anything beyond a simple statement of fact in his arbcom nomination and some questions from the peanut gallery before the voting.

That's actually enough in my opinion to at least justify the question being asked, but like I say, I'm old-school... Others will of course disagree, and that's perfectly fine. As has been pointed out, given that he's not using his claimed expertise in such a way as to influence anything of real significance, I'd say let him skate on it. If the WP'ers want to allow themselves to be swayed or dazzled by claims of professional or academic standing that aren't backed up with verifiable facts, then let 'em.

But nobody should be accusing WR of being some sort of Evil Den of Iniquity just because someone wants to bring up the issue and ask who he is - this guy is now in an extremely high-ranking and influential leadership role on a Top Ten website that claims to be the World's Biggest Encyclopedia, and nobody who's that far up in the WP food chain should be acting anonymously in the first place. Most of them obviously are, of course, but that certainly wouldn't be the case in an ideal world.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 18th February 2008, 3:17am) *

Nonsense. External dispute resolution, by real professionals who know that credibility requires they have no need or even desire to hide their identity is the the only realistic hope of reform. Anyone willing to serve on a forum at Mr. Wales pleasure is by definition suspect. That he hides his identity ought to be a significant concern.

That may all be true, but the question in this thread has been, is Newyorkbrad someone we have any cause to single out for scrutiny at this time? The consensus seems to be no.

For my own part, if he's not using Wikipedia to violate anyone else's privacy (and no one's saying he has,) I think he deserves the same consideration.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 17th February 2008, 10:22pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 18th February 2008, 3:17am) *

That may all be true, but the question in this thread has been, is Newyorkbrad someone we have any cause to single out for scrutiny at this time? The consensus seems to be no.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Timp
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 17th February 2008, 10:53am) *

I was impressed by his stance against the block of !!. I remember him being there right at the beginning. And even when he's talking process, that's normally for the better.

The fact that he says he is a lawyer seems like a red herring, unless there is some reason to think he's lying.

I do see Brandt's point, that the amount of power some of these guys have is reason for them to share their names. My problem with his approach in general is going underground to force them into it rather than criticizing the choice they've made. This makes more sense considering Brandt's experience, but it's a bit of a shame when it plays out as a pain in the side of decent people....
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Timp @ Mon 18th February 2008, 3:28am) *

I was impressed by his stance against the block of !!. I remember him being there right at the beginning.

That's a point in his favor, certainly.
dtobias
Well, I do have one thing against him... he's admitted responsibility for drafting the original proposal in the MONGO ArbCom case that ultimately led to BADSITES. That's a pretty big black mark on his record, though many of his actions since then have been much more exemplary.
Robster
I asked the semi-rhetorical question about practicing law (about three pages ago) because I had a concern that's been voiced again here.

Given the nature of Wikipedia, isn't it incumbent on someone who is (1) one of the most powerful users of the site and (2) claiming to be a lawyer -- a licensed and regulated profession anywhere Wikipedia operates -- to provide some proof of the claim?

I can't prove a negative -- thus I can't prove he's NOT a lawyer.

He's making the claim. If he wants to be believed in the post-Essjay Wikipedia, at some point, he's going to have to provide proof.

I have no reason to disbelieve him right now.

It's just that I have no reason to believe him, either.

I think I know why Daniel is asking -- it's his belief, as I understand it, that NO Wikipedia bureaucrat should be anonymous.

It's an argument I agree with. When you reach the levels of power over content and membership that the Arbs have at WP, and given the non-profit status of the WMF (and thus, WP)... isn't transparency necessary?
WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(Robster @ Sun 17th February 2008, 10:55pm) *

I asked the semi-rhetorical question about practicing law (about three pages ago) because I had a concern that's been voiced again here.

Given the nature of Wikipedia, isn't it incumbent on someone who is (1) one of the most powerful users of the site and (2) claiming to be a lawyer -- a licensed and regulated profession anywhere Wikipedia operates -- to provide some proof of the claim?

I can't prove a negative -- thus I can't prove he's NOT a lawyer.

He's making the claim. If he wants to be believed in the post-Essjay Wikipedia, at some point, he's going to have to provide proof.

I have no reason to disbelieve him right now.

It's just that I have no reason to believe him, either.

I think I know why Daniel is asking -- it's his belief, as I understand it, that NO Wikipedia bureaucrat should be anonymous.

It's an argument I agree with. When you reach the levels of power over content and membership that the Arbs have at WP, and given the non-profit status of the WMF (and thus, WP)... isn't transparency necessary?

You may, in fact, be accurate and indeed correct in your analysis of the above situation, while at the same time, Brad cannot and should not be practicing real live law while playing pretend lawyer at Wikipedia. He cannot claim to have any legal standing in anything without full and transparent disclosure. This has been my contention all along. If it is full disclosure that Daniel is seeking, then I believe Brad will be forced to choose his real live office over the feaux legal proceedings at the game called Wikipedia, or in the alternative, he can give up his N.Y license and let the games begin.

Come on people, is that so difficult to grasp? It is a basis in LAW in every state within the U.S.A.

Brad must fully disclose his activities to his employer, and he must also gain approval for same.

Further, Brad may not be able to practice in Florida or California unless he has passed the bar in those states.

I suspect that his time at WP has been much more than the time normally accepted as a hobby.

A log of his activities would surely show how much time he spends at WP. wink.gif

Daniel Brandt
On 2006-04-20, Danny Wool reported this incident from the Wikipedia office:
1. This week, the Foundation received a legal threat, termed by Brad [Patrick] "the most serious legal threat we have received so far." The basis of this threat was the statement by a very serious Florida-based group with a very serious New York attorney that the Wikimedia Foundation alone is legally liable for the actions of its admins, as they are working on behalf of the Foundation.

2. In other words, we are acting as publisher, rather than as bulletin board, negating the basis of any legal protection we might have--anywhere.

3. Brad, myself, and a very small handful of En admins were aware of this.

4. At Brad's request, the two articles in question were stubbed and protected. Brad wanted this to be done specifically by me, as an employee of the Foundation, and not as an admin, which would feed into the argument of those threatening us. The nature of the threat was, and is, to be kept highly confidential. While the threat may have been resolved in this instance, it could be used again, and we do NOT as yet have a satisfactory answer to it.

Now isn't that interesting? Because just months later, Brad Patrick claimed in a news article that Wikipedia was immune to lawsuits.

There is so much bullshit from the Wikipedia bureaucracy, starting with Jimmy Wales, that I had to start hivemind in December 2005 to identify those who were defaming me in my biography. This meant that I had to identify a lot of anonymous editors. If you accept the legal song and dance from the Wikipedia bureaucracy about the Foundation's immunity, then you have no choice but to identify the administrators and editors who are a problem.

Now it's more than two years later. I've expanded hivemind so that it focuses on Wikipedia as a whole, rather than on those who defamed me on my bio. By identifying admins, this potentially helps anyone who lacks massive amounts of money to pay lawyers. If they cannot identify the power structure at Wikipedia in terms of responsible individuals, then their only alternative is to challenge the Foundation's presumed Section 230 immunity. Even Mike Godwin subscribes to the Section 230 immunity position, according to a statement he made soon after he was hired. This means that nothing has changed, and hivemind must continue.

The project of identifying those in positions of power at Wikipedia is essentially a public-spirited act. It's inconceivable that no one is responsible for defamation and invasions of privacy on Wikipedia when these incidents occur. By identifying powerful Wikipedians in advance, victims have the option of suing top individuals instead of suing the Foundation. It is prohibitively expensive to sue the Foundation, as they can tie up the issue in federal court over Section 230 for several years or more. There is no possibility of justice for the little guy until all of the powerful individuals at Wikipedia are identified.

The quoted inside information above proves that it's the big guys with big lawyers who are able to get the attention of the Wikimedia office. Little people like me just get ignored, and on one occasion I was even defamed and insulted by Jimbo in a quotation he gave to the press.

Another alternative, of course, is for the Foundation to take responsibility for the content on Wikipedia, and state openly that they consider themselves a publisher rather than a service provider. In more than two years, I don't see any evidence that this is about to happen.

In the context of this history, it is outrageous for an experienced litigation attorney like Newyorkbrad to deny me access to his real name. What worries him is that his colleagues in the legal profession would not support his right to be anonymous on Wikipedia.
Poetlister
QUOTE(Error59 @ Mon 18th February 2008, 1:25am) *

If you're expecting full disclosure from NYB, you should be prepared to do the same if you're going to claim a legal expertise.

But we know who WoW is - he's never tried to hide it.

And may I state categorically:

If Daniel Brandt wants to pursue his enquiries, he is surely entitled to do so. If he wants to suggest that this site collectively, or any of the staff or moderators, is seeking to "out" NYB then he is wrong. I for one neither know nor care. Is that clear, Daniel? Brad?
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Poetlister @ Mon 18th February 2008, 10:22am) *

If Daniel Brandt wants to pursue his enquiries, he is surely entitled to do so. If he wants to suggest that this site collectively, or any of the staff or moderators, is seeking to "out" NYB then he is wrong. I for one neither know nor care. Is that clear, Daniel? Brad?

There are days when Wikipedia-bating is the name of the game, and others where there are serious things afoot.

For those on WR who see Wikipedia as in need of reform rather than fatally flawed, it is clearly dangerous to attack those who act reasonably as that drives the reasonable into the Hive, much as WR could be said to be a membership of once reasonable Wikipedians who were driven to question WP, whether by bans or other politics.

Brad makes some reasonable points, among which I am sympathetic to the "don't complain about someone mature getting involved if your problem is that it is run by a bunch of kids."

NYB should be measured by his own activities. He knows his every word is scrutinised. If that makes ArbCom work a little better, then that is a good thing for the reformists. If you are not a reformist, then NYB is worthy of attack for the same reason, though I am not sure that is right.

Finally, with the WordBomb ArbCom dispute playing out satisfactorily, it would be foolish to give those who seek to discredit WR ammunition, and the motivation to do so.
msharma
I think it bears repeating that NYB did a good thing by publicly stating that he reads here, and provided an excellent summary of what things are actually like here. If I had that much audacity - or if I was on ArbCom - I'd make a similar statement.

As for NYB's identity, we know Brandt wants to know who everyone is. Whatever. I find myself more puzzled by those who're trying to give reasons to find out just because he he's said he's a lawyer. Nonsense. If anyone voted for him just because they thought "Hey! a lawyer! Just what we need on our judiciary!" then they're too stupid to gain my sympathy if they were misled. He has a perfect right to claim to be President Bush if he wants if he doesn't intend to win content disputes through that.
Daniel Brandt
QUOTE(msharma @ Mon 18th February 2008, 5:04am) *

He has a perfect right to claim to be President Bush if he wants if he doesn't intend to win content disputes through that.

That's not true in the public sphere. Once enough people noticed his claims, he'd be sent to some sort of institution. There, in a restrictive environment, and among any friends he can make, he'd have the right to claim he's President Bush.

I want Newyorkbrad's name for the same reason that you need a driver's license to use public roadways. It has nothing to do with what he's done, but has to do with what he might do now that he is on ArbCom. In this new position, he has the power to make people's lives miserable.

When you get behind the wheel and drive on public roads, you need a driver's license. It has your picture, and the cop cars have computer links to your criminal and traffic-violation history. You need proof of liability insurance in Texas and you need a vehicle registration that ties into the license plates displayed front and rear of your vehicle, as well as the vehicle identification number on the dashboard. You need a current safety-check sticker also.

If a cop pulls you over and you don't have any of this stuff, depending on your record you might end up in jail and your car will get towed to the impound lot. If you claim that you're President Bush on top of that, I guarantee that the cop won't say, "Well, sir, you have the right to claim that, and I'm sorry I bothered you, Mr. President."

Wikipedia is very much a project that has certain responsibilities to the public. This starts with its claim to be a factual encyclopedia, and continues with its tax-exempt status, and the fact that donations are tax-deductible.

Newyorkbrad does not have the right to claim that he is President Bush. And he also does not have the right to remain anonymous as a member of ArbCom, in my opinion.

When I hear all of the uninformed opinions in this thread about who has the right to do what, I'm convinced that there is a tremendous disconnect between Wikipedia's editors and the real world. That ought to be a source of concern for a so-called "encyclopedia," it seems to me.

It isn't a source of concern. On the contrary, the Foundation and Jimbo avoid the issue instead of dealing with it. This is why Wikipedia has a limited life expectancy. Some of the people in this thread couldn't pass Philosophy 101 if their lives depended on it. I spent three years in grad school studying Social Ethics. That doesn't make me right, but at least I'm able to see stupid posts for what they are.

No, my grad school education never made it into my bio. No one asked me, so no one knew about it. Even if they asked, I probably would have just said, "Excuse me, but I don't want to be in your encyclopedia because it's unreliable and irresponsible." How far do you think I'd get if I said that?

We all know the answer to that question by now, because that's what happened more than two years ago.
msharma
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Mon 18th February 2008, 1:47pm) *

He has a perfect right to claim to be President Bush if he wants if he doesn't intend to win content disputes through that.

Wikipedia is very much a project that has certain responsibilities to the public. This starts with its claim to be a factual encyclopedia, and continues with its tax-exempt status, and the fact that donations are tax-deductible.

Newyorkbrad does not have the right to claim that he is President Bush. And he also does not have the right to remain anonymous as a member of ArbCom, in my opinion.

When I hear all of the uninformed opinions in this thread about who has the right to do what, I'm convinced that there is a tremendous disconnect between Wikipedia's editors and the real world. That ought to be a source of concern for a so-called "encyclopedia," it seems to me.

It isn't a source of concern. On the contrary, the Foundation and Jimbo avoid the issue instead of dealing with it. This is why Wikipedia has a limited life expectancy. Some of the people in this thread couldn't pass Philosophy 101 if their lives depended on it. I spent three years in grad school studying Social Ethics. That doesn't make me right, but at least I'm able to see stupid posts for what they are.

No, my grad school education never made it into my bio. No one asked me, so no one knew about it. Even if they asked, I probably would have just said, "Excuse me, but I don't want to be in your encyclopedia because it's unreliable and irresponsible." How far do you think I'd get if I said that?

We all know the answer to that question by now, because that's what happened more than two years ago.

Daniel, I understand and respect your point of view about this, but I think you're wrong. However, I wasn't engaging you with the Bush remark, because its not an answer to your general concerns about anonymity. I was engaging those who think that the content of what he claimed makes it necessary to investigate its truth, rather than those who think everyone should reveal everything.

And about responsibility and nonprofits - you're entitled to your view, but if you stopped to actually consider some of the things that are tax-deductible in the US, you wouldn't even put that in your post.

Finally - Wikipedia doesn't claim to be factual. Right the opposite - it claims to be something anyone can edit!
Poetlister
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Mon 18th February 2008, 1:32pm) *

Isn't the position that "WR is not responsible for the actions of its contributors" exactly the position that Brandt denies?

Wikipedia is an encyclopaedia. The board of an encyclopaedia accepts responsibility for every word of its contents. Who, in this context, constitute the Board of Wikipedia?

It seems to me that the moderators on a bulletin board cannot accept responsibility to the same degree because of freedom of speech, but of course I'm just a little blonde English girl who doesn't understand American law.
WhispersOfWisdom
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Mon 18th February 2008, 7:47am) *

That's not true in the public sphere. Once enough people noticed his claims, he'd be sent to some sort of institution. There, in a restrictive environment, and among any friends he can make, he'd have the right to claim he's President Bush.

I want Newyorkbrad's name for the same reason that you need a driver's license to use public roadways. It has nothing to do with what he's done, but has to do with what he might do now that he is on ArbCom. In this new position, he has the power to make people's lives miserable.

When you get behind the wheel and drive on public roads, you need a driver's license. It has your picture, and the cop cars have computer links to your criminal and traffic-violation history. You need proof of liability insurance in Texas and you need a vehicle registration that ties into the license plates displayed front and rear of your vehicle, as well as the vehicle identification number on the dashboard. You need a current safety-check sticker also.

If a cop pulls you over and you don't have any of this stuff, depending on your record you might end up in jail and your car will get towed to the impound lot. If you claim that you're President Bush on top of that, I guarantee that the cop won't say, "Well, sir, you have the right to claim that, and I'm sorry I bothered you, Mr. President."

Agreed.

It is not just an opinion, or your opinion, Daniel, it is the law.

Brad knows the law, or he is, in fact, not a licensed officer of any court of competent jurisdiction in the U.S.A...... or he has given up his license to practice, .......or he lost his license for some unknown reason. All of the above can be included in any reasonable request for any of us to know his real life identity if he is to ever mention that he is, in fact, an officer of any court in the U.S.

I further state that if he represents clients, he must fully disclose to them and his supervisors that he is giving legal advice, outside of his regular duties as an officer of any court within the U.S.A.

If Wikipedia is to ever be trusted, seen as reliable, deemed to be a legitimate source of anything,
they must obey the laws of the U.S. A.

Now I will go back down to my warm air, white sand and blue water and let the WP kids do what they must do to survive the Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Knol ........ corporate "real world" invasion.
One
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 18th February 2008, 4:34pm) *

Not really much of a threat. Suppose Brad spent his free time playing a first person shooter game "Law Rage" in which a discredited lawyer hunts down and kills lying spouses and girlfriends of clients who acted in cahoots and drove him from the practice of law. Not a very healthy activity but hardly a matter for the bar association to be concerned. Same thing about Wikipedia I should think.

I would think so too, but WoW is very explicit about his normative position. NYB "cannot and should not" be allowed to do both. Clients should be informed.

I was of two minds about Brandt's request, but if appears to me that the information will be used by some to harass one of the few people doing anything good.
Error59
QUOTE(Poetlister @ Mon 18th February 2008, 2:53pm) *

Wikipedia is an encyclopaedia. The board of an encyclopaedia accepts responsibility for every word of its contents. Who, in this context, constitute the Board of Wikipedia?

It seems to me that the moderators on a bulletin board cannot accept responsibility to the same degree because of freedom of speech, but of course I'm just a little blonde English girl who doesn't understand American law.

Do the talk pages / meta spaces / etc of Wikipedia have the same status as the (encyclopedia's) article pages? Or would their legal status be considered more akin to this forum? The WMF board certainly could be considered to have final responsibility for the contents of the encyclopedia itself, but the other pages?
Piperdown
I don't know about NYB specifically, and what he has or hasn't claimed on WP, but in general, if someone on WP is claiming to be a lawyer, they should put up their real name, state bar reference link/record/etc, or they should just shut up about being a lawyer.

There is no reason to claim this whether true or not on WP unless you are trying to gain an upper hand in a consensus debate, as you know others will be intimidated or just respectfully defer to your input.

After the Baudy affair, I doubt this will occur. So unless you have a WP:LEGAL reason, as in you are legally representing WP or anything else on-WP, just shut up about what big bad barrister you are, whether it's true or not.

I think WP has had enough of the Essjays and supposedly Neutral Jesuit Nazifying Luther with their sockshow. Instead of trying to play Walter Mitty or DontYouKnowWhoIam,Punk? on WP, let your input stand on equal ground with your fellow anonymous wikipedians if anonymity is the route you need to go. Not false anonymity used to mislead.
Yehudi
QUOTE(Error59 @ Mon 18th February 2008, 5:26pm) *

Do the talk pages / meta spaces / etc of Wikipedia have the same status as the (encyclopedia's) article pages?

Encyclopaedias have introductions, which are at least as much the responsibility of the Board as the articles are (more so, as they are probably written by Board members). Thus at least the policy pages are entirely the responsibility of those in charge. I'll agree that talk pages are dodgy in this context.
dtobias
QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Mon 18th February 2008, 8:47am) *

However, given that you're not a cop, you have no authority to put up a personal roadblock on a public road and start stopping people and demanding to see their license, registration, proof of insurance, and all required stickers and plates. If they ignore your not-legally-authorized attempts to get this information, it would be very morally questionable on your part if you started a Web site listing as much personal information about these drivers that you were able to find out (including their political leanings as evidenced by their bumper stickers) along with speculation that they're possibly driving without a license or insurance (something you haven't actually proven).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.