Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ClueBot strikes again
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
thekohser
The ClueBot failed to understand how to properly revert some vandalism, so for two-and-a-half-hours, the Wiki (disambiguation) page contained utter drivel.

How many people saw this page? We have evidence that this page gets about 240 views per Thursday. So, in 2.5 hours, maybe 25 visitors viewed the page and did nothing to fix it.

Great system, this Wikipedia. You know, the whole "vandalism and mistakes are usually detected and repaired quickly" thing?

Great bot, this ClueBot.

Greg
Sceptre
No system is 100% perfect. No amount of rollbacks don't work if person B puts vandalism on person A's vandalism.
Somey
QUOTE(Sceptre @ Thu 28th February 2008, 5:02pm) *
No amount of rollbacks don't work if person B puts vandalism on person A's vandalism.

I think you meant to write "no amount of rollbacks will work..."?

Besides, I'd hardly call this "vandalism." There's certainly nothing inaccurate about the assertion that boys are "gayyy ass crapp," and while there isn't a reliable published source (that I know of) to back up the claim that the author likes cheesesee wizzzzzzzzzzz, I can say that I've met Andrea personally, and I think it's fairly self-evident that she's co0o0o0ol.

So what's the problem, really? unsure.gif
dtobias
This criticism is kind of grasping at straws... sometimes there will be several vandal edits in a row from different users or IPs, and an anti-vandal bot might accidentally revert from one vandalized state of the article to another. Hopefully a human will notice sooner or later and fix it.
thekohser
QUOTE(dtobias @ Thu 28th February 2008, 7:12pm) *

This criticism is kind of grasping at straws...

I thought I was adding some light humor to everyone's day. Easy, boy.

Still -- my rationale for calculating the number of views-before-correction had to have some merit, no? Twenty-five people across 150+ minutes looking at that page and not doing anything about it? That's at least somewhat bad, don't you think?
Random832
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 29th February 2008, 2:53am) *

Still -- my rationale for calculating the number of views-before-correction had to have some merit, no? Twenty-five people across 150+ minutes looking at that page and not doing anything about it? That's at least somewhat bad, don't you think?

Someone did try to do something (not the right thing, but certainly something) - they were reverted. Kind of discouraging to others, when you think about it.
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 28th February 2008, 9:53pm) *

Don't mind Dan, he's probably cranky because there is a Mensa meeting the same night he planned to listen to all of his Tiffany records consecutively. Quite the dilemma for any red blooded Mensa member/Tiffany fan, I would guess. biggrin.gif

I enjoy your light hearted, funny posts Greg. Don't let Mensa boy get you down.

(ps: can we use the word filter to make "Dan Tobias" read out as "Mensa boy"? please?)

I'm joking, Dan!
Miltopia
If your really want to use this to add humor to ppl's day you should take advantage and vandalize using this method smile.gif

Just today I did, in fact, on a non-Wikipedia (but still Wikimedia) wiki. I just checked and it's still up.
Random832
QUOTE(Random832 @ Fri 29th February 2008, 3:20am) *

Someone did try to do something (not the right thing, but certainly something) - they were reverted. Kind of discouraging to others, when you think about it.

This actually becomes a real problem, too, when the bots revert additions that are legitimate but happen to contain "obscenities" such as honeysuck]le, brouhaha, fleetingly, and adumbration. (yes, the tame words have a low score, but reverting a large removal tends to run that up)
whatever
It makes you wonder, if all humanity stopped now, would the bots start revert warring on Wikipedia?
Moulton
One of the early lessons of Automata Theory (especially TCP/IP Protocols) is that recursive loops are a bedevilment that calls for intelligent design principles and practices.

Early on, in the annals of Ethernet development, there were ARP Wars that arose when too many nodes competed for too few node address identifiers.
The Joy
Just you wait until they invent bots with the capability of banning you, protecting your talkpage, and disabling your e-mail. Then, a bot worthy of being an administrator will be made!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.