Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sam Vaknin : Wikipedia’s Six Cardinal Sins
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
WR Editorials
The following post was written by Sam Vaknin, author and a noted critic of Wikipedia. The piece was written in response to an article supporting Wikipedia that appeared in Science Progress journal, and is reproduced here with the author’s permission.

It is a question of time before the Wikipedia self-destructs and implodes. It poses [...]

http://wikipediareview.com/blog/20080229/s...-cardinal-sins/
Moulton
Moulton nods in approval.
Saltimbanco
Who added the Hieronymous Bosch images? Brilliant!
dogbiscuit
I was impressed there was a writer who could use the word retarded in its correct sense.
whatever
That's a much better criticism of Wikipedia, and pretty much nails it.
Jonny Cache
QUOTE(Saltimbanco @ Fri 29th February 2008, 9:01am) *

Who added the Hieronymous Bosch images? Brilliant!

That's actually his dumber brother, Anonymous Bosch —

"The Garden Of Nerdly Bee Fights"

Jonny cool.gif
Moulton
Can Colony Collapse be far behind?
Kato
This is a fantastic piece, I'm glad we saved it from a comments section of another blog and highlighted it. It's like a laser searing through the blubbery bloated fat of pro-Wikipedia assumptions.

This paragraph here expresses some of my thoughts on WP far better than I ever could. Wikipedia is an American animal.
QUOTE(Sam Vaknin)

This may reflect the difference in academic traditions between the United States and the rest of the world. Members of individualistic, self-reliant and narcissistic societies inevitably rebel against authority and tend to believe in their own omnipotence and omniscience. Conversely, the denizens of more collectivist and consensus-seeking cultures, are less sanguine and grandiose and more willing to accept teachings ex-cathedra. So said Theodore Millon, a great scholar and an undisputed authority on personality disorders.

A User
One of the best essays on wikipedia. Thanks for keeping it and linking to it. B`
Moulton
Vaknin's credentials notwithstanding, he has identified and analyzed crucial systemic problems with Wikipedia, from the perspective of someone conversant with issues of narcissism.

To my mind, these issues need to be studied and analyzed by a team of world-class professionals who are well trained in all aspects of Cluster B Personality Disorders.

antoniohernandez
I just skimmed this excellent article, but I think he sort of wasted his breath/ink....

It could just as easily be stated that WP is the equivalent of an in-school detention at any middle school, in which the students were given full administrative control.

Then somehow, these dipshit kids manage to vomit out a strange version of the communist book of rules, subject to their immediate and whimsical alteration.

It should be noted that these are kids who were supplied with the best of high-tech ammo before suspension. So they get to shoot out windows or blow holes in the detention room floor and piss down on the working students below.

That's who put the pee in Wikipedia!

Oh, I forget the best part: these kids then proclaim themselves to be the alpha and the omega of wisdom. After all, they can revert disagreements easily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.