Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Iamandrewriceee/Benniguy "fiasco"
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
bluevictim
Sometime back in November, a problem arose with a user named User:Iamandrewrice, who was very incivil towards his mentor User:Jeffpw (in my opinion a great mentor) and others. He (real name Ben) introduced himself as "Annabelle" in what I consider to be a strange post, however he was a newbie, and I think some of the editors went too far by telling him "You better follow our policies or we'll kick your ass out of here" dictatorial behavior.

I think Iamandrewrice (hereafter referrred to as Ben) was not very civil, however the way ChazBeckett and Tonywalton talked about him was very intolerant and eager to use their block button. Jeffpw has done a great job of mentoring. I have my incivil moments too, it's something that is normal. One can't always be hapy and love to edit. Some Wikipedians are just unfriendly to newbies and too anxious to enforce policy and use their banhammers.

For some reason, Ben went on socking, and he has a massive sockfarm, some of which is listed on the WP:ANI thread, and some of which is listed at Wikipedia:Requests_for_checkuser/Case/Iamandrewrice (T-H-L-K-D). There are all sorts of strange connections, and Alison has done a lot of discovering with Checkuser what people are what, but since it is from a school IP, it's hard to tell who are friends and/or schoolmates or Ben.

After a whole fiasco about his socks and a huge discussion throughout the archives and many checkusers investigating his socks, he apologized and sadly, some of the people accepted his apology, but most of the ones on the ANI said no, with their usual, unforgiving attitude. So of course "consensus" decided "banned means banned" and even though part of the editors on WP:ANI said he should be accepted back*, the rest said no, so Ben was to remained banned.

Notice how the accounts that had "nothing to do with [Ben's friends]" are still listed as socks. I believe this is due to his "banned" status which means "Nothing he says is good, true, or valid. Don't listen to him, he's BANNED! SHUN BEN FOR LIFE" according to some WPians.

Apparently, Jeffpw somewhere recommended Ben to join the Simple English Wikipedia (which was meant for ESL students and children, but, IMHO, has turned into a much more complex place than it should be, and now uses words like "committee", "unfortunately" when not needed, and even improper punctuation that significantly changes the semantics of the sentence [the sentence containing "peasants who were poor people"which, without parentheses, implies there were non-poor peasants]).

Edit:

Ben edited Simple English Wikipedia (hereafter referred to as SEW) and some of his posts were very immature, however he extensively edited the article on his disorder (which may explain his odd behavior at some times) and worked very hard on it. However, a user named Gwib had a severe issue with his odd posts, and, I believe, was the first one to suggest his banning on SEW. Gwib never really tried to help, knowing he had a disorder, and shrtly thereafter when he became administrator, Gwib started to love his newly attained buttons. And he acted as if he only restrained from blocking Ben because the rest of the community wanted to give him a chance, and if he could, he would have.

So then he changed his name to Benniguy and was restricted by Tygrrr (formerly known as Tygartl1) to template pages, user talk pages of admins, his own userspace, and article namespace, and he seemed not to understand. So, he was blocked after he broke the "rules" imposed upon him by Tygart when they got narrower and narrower. Then he created sockpuppets, and one of them, Inkpen2, appealed his block. He claimed to be on medication for his disorder, but Gwib just wouldn't let go, and in a very inappropriate post, he compared Benniguy to "the Israel in his Palestine", which, aside from the fact that it seems to be comparing his presence to an unfair occupation, it is wrong in that Ben is not starving people on SEW.

So, now everyone goes at [http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:AN]WP:AN[/url] and agrees with Gwib because of some incident at EN. Oh, come on. They all jump on and agree with each other. This is wrong, just plain wrong.

No, I don't think he's a troll, he had a disorder. Have a heart.

*EDIT: I have edited this post to remove the real name of administrator user Tygrrr and replaced it with "(formerly known as Tygartl1)" because her real name can be used to find her profile on Facebook, and her real face. Gwib himself has erroneously attributed this to Benniguy and I have removed this so as not to get word passed around that Benniguy has stalked Tygrrr.
The Wales Hunter
He was banned for his own good. He was subsequently banned from Simple. Yes, I was involved to an extent, and he was clearly disruptive.

Wikipedia should not be edited by under-18s. Any that cause problems should be punted straight away. I'm glad he was.

Let's not forget he only apologised because his school were about to be contacted.

I could go on and on but, quite frankly, I can't be arsed.
KamrynMatika
Edits like this say to me that he's nothing more than the average run-of-the-mill troll.
gomi
Moderator's note: Moved to correct forum
Count DeMonet
QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Wed 12th March 2008, 3:29pm) *

Edits like this say to me that he's nothing more than the average run-of-the-mill troll.

Quite so. Having followed that link I'd say on this occasion they got it right. WP's in bad enough shape as it is without tolerating muppets like this one!
bluevictim
It seems he really is on his medication and talking normally, as opposed to Gwib's belief that he's not. The way he communicates on his talk page seems much better and different than it was, leadming me to the belief that it really was his disorder causing him to communicate. Ben's even willing to provide evidence.

Benniguy's now a user here.
benniguy
hi. (I'm Iamandrewrice/Benniguy)

ummm... well this was kind of a bit of a shock to me. Me and my friend were sitting in class, and then my friend typed in "benniguy" on google... and then this came up. lol

yes, I was actually reading some of the posts I made originally from "Iamandrewrice" on English Wikipedia, and I was quite horrified to realise how my behaviour had been.

I recently created a sockpuppet called "Crystalclearchanges" on English wikipedia, and was doing quite well on it, but then Whitstable ("The Wales Hunter" who commented this discussion) realised who i was, and after telling me that he didnt mind if I was a sockpuppet as long as I behaved ok, went and dobbed me in. But i'm sure you all already know about all this. If you check my contributions there, I think I was doing pretty well... I was even called the "Most Valuable Player" on one article smile.gif Which is the best compliment I've ever been given on wikipedia.

I am currently banned at English wikipedia, and indefinitely blocked at Simple English Wikipedia. So as you can tell, I haven't had the best history so far wink.gif
However, in case you didn't already know, I suffered (well... i still have it) from a rare extreme disorder called "Body Dysmorphic Disorder". This gave me extreme mood swings, depression, and hyper-sensitivity. I am now on treatment for this, and the medication has so far proved very successful. I am currently trying to get unblocked on Simple Wikipedia, but it is showing difficult to prove I have changed since the medication, which is sad, as I really do want to become a good user. For example, this page alone as just one of many, I spent hours working on http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDD ...and basically all of it is written by me.

Someone above called me a troll. Please don't say that about me. Just because I suffered with a disorder before, doesnt mean that I was trying to cause disruption. I honestly did want to help, but my disorder led me to exreme and clouded ways of doing things. I am sorry that I did that, but i can't take it back, and I can appologize and appologize, but half of you don't want to hear. The best I can do is explain why it happened... i hope that more of you will be slightly more understanding about a disorder...

By the way... blue victim... how do you know so much about all this? tongue.gif

x
SirFozzie
QUOTE(Count DeMonet @ Wed 12th March 2008, 12:04pm) *

Quite so. Having followed that link I'd say on this occasion they got it right. WP's in bad enough shape as it is without tolerating muppets like this one!

Oi, And wot you got against us Muppets? biggrin.gif
bluevictim
QUOTE(benniguy @ Fri 14th March 2008, 8:23pm) *

By the way... blue victim... how do you know so much about all this? tongue.gif

I saw a link that said "Simple English" (the interwiki link) and have been visiting ever since. I noticed it was strangely unfair how they just banned you there and refused to give you a second chance even after you said you got on medication.

By the way... Welcome to Wikipedia Review!
benniguy
QUOTE(bluevictim @ Fri 14th March 2008, 8:46pm) *

I saw a link that said "Simple English" (the interwiki link) and have been visiting ever since. I noticed it was strangely unfair how they just banned you there and refused to give you a second chance even after you said you got on medication.

By the way... Welcome to Wikipedia Review!

oh, thanks tongue.gif
Are you "Da Punk"?
well i'm not actually banned on simple wikipedia... just indefinitely blocked (which i struggle to see the difference with however).

Thanks for the concern. Yeah, its annoying that I still have to suffer for my disorder even after I'm on medication... but i guess those people just haven't ever been in any kind of similar situation so can't understand where i'm coming from... which kinda sucks... but what am I supposed to do? cool.gif

So what exactly is this place? is it run by wikipedia?
x
bluevictim
I'm not "Da Punk". This place is for criticism of Wikipedia, some people here are banned editors, some are indefblocked editors, some are stilll editing, and some never had accounts on there. I don't know, but I believe some do not want to disclose their WP identity, but have one anyway. This is a place to offer your ideas on Wikipedia articles, editors' actions, and criticism of policy. I might be wrong, you'll have to ask an older poster about detailed things, like the forum's history.
Somey
QUOTE(bluevictim @ Fri 14th March 2008, 3:05pm) *
I might be wrong, you'll have to ask an older poster about detailed things, like the forum's history.

As I recall, we sprang fully-armed from the head of Zeus, shouting a battle cry heard throughout the heavens. I'm told there were also Schnauzers involved, but of course that's probably just a myth.

Anyway, after that it was pretty much all downhill...
Count DeMonet
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Fri 14th March 2008, 8:25pm) *

...mostly, Robin (Kermit's nephew) singing "It isn't easy being green"!

wink.gif
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Count DeMonet @ Sat 15th March 2008, 12:30am) *

QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Fri 14th March 2008, 8:25pm) *

...mostly, Robin (Kermit's nephew) singing "It isn't easy being green"!

wink.gif

Sigh! {fact}

Kermit sang "It's not easy being green."

Robin sang:

Half way up the stairs
Is a stair where I sit.
There isn't any other stair
Quite like it.
It's not at the baaaadum,
It's not at the top.
So this is the stair where I always stop.

[Piano solo]

Half way up the stairs
isn't up and isn't down.
It isn't in the nursury.
It isn't in the town.
And all kinds of funny thoughts
Run round my head.
It isn't really anywhere
It's somewhere else instead.

Ha! Get that out of your head now. blink.gif
Count DeMonet
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Sat 15th March 2008, 12:44am) *
quote]

Sigh! {fact}

Robin sang:

Half way up the stairs

D'oh

I bow to your greater knowledge of things with Jim Henson's hand stuck up their {{redacted}}
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Count DeMonet @ Sat 15th March 2008, 12:50am) *

quote]

Sigh! {fact}

Robin sang:

Half way up the stairs

D'oh

I bow to your greater knowledge of things with Jim Henson's hand stuck up their {{redacted}}

Now that just goes to show this is not Wikipedia. You managed to say that without one mention of WP:NOR.
guy

Robin sang:

Half way up the stairs
Is a stair where I sit.

That of course is by A A Milne. My mother used to sing it to me.
benniguy
oh my god... guy? as in Guy from wikipedia? I think I came across you before during my problems before, remember? I'm not sure, but I think it was something to do with the "GHD" article.

Listen, i've never had contact with you since, so I'm sorry that I was so stubborn not to listen before. I can't neccessarily say it was anything to do with my disorder, but even if it was, it still wasn't acceptable. So I'm sorry.

x
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(benniguy @ Sat 15th March 2008, 8:48am) *

oh my god... guy? as in Guy from wikipedia? I think I came across you before during my problems before, remember? I'm not sure, but I think it was something to do with the "GHD" article.

Listen, i've never had contact with you since, so I'm sorry that I was so stubborn not to listen before. I can't neccessarily say it was anything to do with my disorder, but even if it was, it still wasn't acceptable. So I'm sorry.

x

You've got some catching up to do, but suggesting Guy here is Guy there is definitely actionable - unless Guy is really WordBomb sockpuppeting in a similar way to SamiHarris. laugh.gif
benniguy
catching up? catching up on what?

x

by the way, if anyone supports my unblock at simple wikipedia (of which there is a currently equal vote either way) please visit: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:AN#Benniguy
benniguy
oh and also... someone mentioned above about my sockpuppetfarm. I would say about just under 1/4 of all the sockpuppets listed as "me" were actually mine. Just under 1/4 of them were my friend Joe. The rest of that 1/2... were my friends Alex (who stayed in our house for a while), Andrew, and Craig (who is still editing on wikipedia under: "User:FishyGhost" which I don't understand how this is allowed since technically anyone involved in the incident was supposed to be banned). And the other 1/2... we had never even heard of.

Just to clear some things up...

x
UseOnceAndDestroy
QUOTE(benniguy @ Sat 15th March 2008, 11:44am) *
by the way, if anyone supports my unblock at simple wikipedia (of which there is a currently equal vote either way) please visit: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:AN#Benniguy

My advice would be - don't worry about winning your game of wikipedia, go do something else - such as playing with a ball, riding a bike, or studying for your GCSE's.
benniguy
"winning my game of wikipedia"? wikipedia isn't some kind of game to me. It's a place where I really want to work, and feel that I can actively contribute.

x
guy
QUOTE(benniguy @ Sat 15th March 2008, 12:06pm) *

wikipedia isn't some kind of game to me. It's a place where I really want to work, and feel that I can actively contribute.

Yes, but you have to know the game rules.

And no, I have no connection whatever with JzG and I am very annoyed that he copied my name.
The Wales Hunter
To try and put this to bed once and for all...

You registered on Wikipedia under the name "Iamandrewrice" when, in fact, you are not Andrew Rice and Andrew Rice actually exists and goes to school with you.

That is impersonation and, to be frank, outrageous and it's unlikely anyone here is going to have any sympathy for you.

Though I'm sure Wikipedia has become some sort of Dickensian Workhouse - an "encylcopaedia" paid by people who differ from the societal norm in some way.
benniguy
Actually, the account was not impersonation. Although my name is not Andrewrice, and one of my friends is called Andrew Rice... that person was in fact involved in the original making of the account.

As you said, we go to school together. We were sitting in one class together, and we made the account then. (Check the time the account was made if you don't believe me... as I would have been at school around then). However, I was the only one out of the two of us that used the account after.

Andrew was annoyed after he found out his name had become so widely known on wikipedia (after all the trouble), which is why I decided that i would eventually change my name to "Benniguy", which I chose for when I had a name change on Simple Wikipedia.

No sympathy for me? the vote at simple wikipedia doesn't seem to show that...
The Wales Hunter
Actually, no, I can't be arsed.
benniguy
Actually, you missed out IuseRosary, who gave his vote for me to return earlier up the page.

That makes 7 for my return, and 6 against.

I don't see what copying and pasting over those quotes does... it simply represents the viewpoints there are for not having me there. I could just as easily go and copy and paste the quotes of the reasons people gave of why they wanted me here. You are not stating anything of groundbraking news.

This is the only ever real "second chance" i am being given, (if i get it), as this is the only time that I have actually come onto medication.

Thank you.
The Wales Hunter
We'll see, we'll see.

benniguy
QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Sat 15th March 2008, 3:34pm) *

We'll see, we'll see.

What does that mean? Do you support my unblock at Simple English Wikipedia?

x
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.