Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who is RTFA
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
ColScott
<moderator note>Thread is a split from here. Kato.
QUOTE(Viridae @ Mon 17th March 2008, 12:26am) *

Well in response to this thread which has since been closed: http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=16655 I would just like to clarify for all and sundry what I see as my involvement with wikipedia and why.

I edit wikipedia because I like the viewer side version of the project, WP as an encyclopaedia is not the most reliable of the bunch - but for the most part in areas I tend to be interested in its pretty good. From the reader's point of view its a useful resource and a good starting point for further reading if you wish to do so. I never take its word as gospel but for the most part I am more inclined to believe it than not, unless there is something in the text that leads me to believe it might be incorrect. If the piece of knowledge i seek is important I of course back it up with other sources - some of which WP tends to provide through its referencing.

I am an admin because I think I can do some good. Whether that be keeping WP relatively free of crap, unblocking the unfairly blocked, using the (unfortunately placed) automatic respect to agitate for the same, deleting or blocking to remove the unhelpful. Adminship for the most part doesn't require much in the way of skills except perhaps reasonable DR ones because you are undoubtedly going to upset someone.

I do not agree with the leadership. The WMF is largely incompetent (see recent handling of Jimbo's claimed of impropriety) and Jimbo's involvement is waaaaaaaaay past its use by date (if ever in it TBH), his public meddling in the day to day processes of the encyclopaedia are almost invariably half baked and unresearched - as evinced by his continuing support of the old guard like JzG who get away with murder because the community has not found an effective way thus far to deal with their offences. (though that is changing as more people who are in it for fair treatment get more of a voice and more sway in the community). Jimbo support for the old guard of abusive users probobly stems from the fact that he is too lazy to actually take notice of what is happening day to day and notice how the community is being run.

My view on the way the project should be run is this - people should only be allowed to remain as long as they are a net benefit or at least not a net loss. The public don't care about the mechanisations of how what they are reading got there they only care that it is there and it is correct (and preferably well written). Users should however be given enough of a chance to demonstrate their usefulness and if viable and the will is there, those who started out on a bad foot should be given a chance to reform. Take too many bites out of the reformation apple though and you wont have any left. At that point the patience of the community has been exhausted and that editor should be considered a write-off. In the same vein an uncivil environment is not one that fosters collaborative work those that are a constant source of trouble in this manner are those the project can do without. Thus if you are a constant source of argument because of your inability to work nicely with others you are wasting the time of many more people than yourself and I don't care how good your contributions are you are are a drain on peoples time and good humour and are a net loss. Thus the reader side is the most important ethos that I follow is played out in the argument about uncivil editors that are a source of good writing.

How about the part where you run into a dispute with me here, then go start up a single purpose attack sockpuppet on WP (RTFA) and spend three hours editing my WP illegal article maliciously? Because we both know it was you.

High minded explanations indeed.
Yehudi
QUOTE(ColScott @ Mon 17th March 2008, 3:29pm) *

How about the part where you run into a dispute with me here, then go start up a single purpose attack sockpuppet on WP (RTFA) and spend three hours editing my WP illegal article maliciously? Because we both know it was you.

I missed something here. When was it revealed that RTFA was Viridae?
ColScott
QUOTE(Yehudi @ Mon 17th March 2008, 8:31am) *

You mean there was a question>?
SirFozzie
QUOTE(Yehudi @ Mon 17th March 2008, 11:31am) *

In ColScott's mind.
ColScott
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Mon 17th March 2008, 8:48am) *

QUOTE(Yehudi @ Mon 17th March 2008, 11:31am) *

In ColScott's mind.

Dear SirFozzie

Instead of banning me when I reveal my true name and then deleting my talk page, why are you not investigating who RTFA is. A single purpose attack account designed to edit my article with lies and negativity?

Please tell me what you intend to do about RTFA? You already had my two soldiers who protected the page banned. I have hundreds more. Please tell us what you will do about RTFA.

SirFozzie
What I will do? Absolutely nothing. Others have already taken up the cause of investigating who our two new accounts are (with, a whole lot more basis in fact than you're "You said something to me, therefore you have to be the person who's bothering me."

I tend to think that nothing can be done until we have someone to match them up against.. one of the things that CheckUser is not for is to put a borderline account there and say to the checkuser "Tell me who this is!" They'll tell you quite up front that CheckUser's not for fishing.

Let's not forget you've accused the person who tried to discuss it on your most recent account's page of doing the same thing.

Anyway, catching up with the discussion on your talk page, it seems at least in the opinion of at least some of the people who are neutral in this conflict (yes, ColScott, I know, to you, neutral means "Agrees with me in every way)", that the information added is verifiable and reliably sourced.

Oh: And before I forget, I didn't block you (someone else did that) or delete your talk page. I saved you from your own BLP violations where you were frothing at the mouth. If you want it deleted instead of blanked, I'm cool with that. As things stand right now, the prior status, filled with your rants about cults and how you will own Wikipedia, is available to all in the history of the page.
ColScott
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Mon 17th March 2008, 9:02am) *

What I will do? Absolutely nothing. Others have already taken up the cause of investigating who our two new accounts are (with, a whole lot more basis in fact than you're "You said something to me, therefore you have to be the person who's bothering me."

I tend to think that nothing can be done until we have someone to match them up against.. one of the things that CheckUser is not for is to put a borderline account there and say to the checkuser "Tell me who this is!" They'll tell you quite up front that CheckUser's not for fishing.

Anyway, catching up with the discussion on your talk page, it seems at least in the opinion of at least some of the people who are neutral in this conflict (yes, ColScott, I know, to you, neutral means "Agrees with me in every way)", that the information added is verifiable and reliably sourced.

Which means I have to go through this with you cretins endlessly. There was stuff on there before that was verifiable and reliably sourced but DID NOT BELONG ON THERE.

There are three new accounts, Muppet. Two of them were my soldiers. One was a sockpuppet of Viridae.

I think the giving prizes thing for vandalism is the way to go.

Let's not forget you've accused the person who tried to discuss it on your most recent account's page of doing the same thing.

Oh: And before I forget, I didn't block you (someone else did that) or delete your talk page. I saved you from your own BLP violations where you were frothing at the mouth. If you want it deleted instead of blanked, I'm cool with that. As things stand right now, the prior status, filled with your rants about cults and how you will own Wikipedia, is available to all in the history of the page.

Rant about Cults?
Right. WP is not a cult. Got it.
SirFozzie
*laughs*

Yes but then I believe YOU have gone on to the article and completely vandalized it. TheRealDonMurphy (talk) 23:09, 16 March 2008 (UTC)

So who is it, ColScott? Is it Virdae or is it Steve?

And as for your opinion that it didn't belong there, you've made it clear that in your opinion, there's nothing that belongs there, so I'll take that with a grain of salt.

QUOTE(ColScott @ Mon 17th March 2008, 12:08pm) *

Which means I have to go through this with you cretins endlessly. There was stuff on there before that was verifiable and reliably sourced but DID NOT BELONG ON THERE.

There are three new accounts, Muppet. Two of them were my soldiers. One was a sockpuppet of Viridae.

Rant about Cults?

WP is as much of a cult as your "soldiers" are.
ColScott
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Mon 17th March 2008, 9:10am) *

*laughs*

Yes but then I believe YOU have gone on to the article and completely vandalized it. TheRealDonMurphy (talk) 23:09, 16 March 2008 (UTC)

So who is it, ColScott? Is it Virdae or is it Steve?

And as for your opinion that it didn't belong there, you've made it clear that in your opinion, there's nothing that belongs there, so I'll take that with a grain of salt.

QUOTE(ColScott @ Mon 17th March 2008, 12:08pm) *

Rant about Cults?

WP is as much of a cult as your "soldiers" are.

Muppet-
After discussing further it is clearly an admin...Viridae
My soldiers don't have rules, special codes, or worship me. I don't accept contributions. We don't have special rules for our mistresses.= Not a cult.
RTFA's inclusion of a long paragraph summarizing alleged "Professional Reputation" would appear to be the big chink in your legal armor. I cannot find such a paragraph with any other filmmaker entry and it was clearly done with malice, a major component of any defamation lawsuit.
SirFozzie
In your mind, and in your mind only, ColScott.

My soldiers don't have rules, special codes, or worship me. I don't accept contributions. We don't have special rules for our mistresses.= Not a cult.

(sings badly)

I say to-may-to, you say to-mah-to, I say po-tay-to, you say po-tah-to.

To-may-to, to-mah-to, po-tay-to, po-tah-to, let's call the whole thing off.

ColScott: My thoughts on this is if you REALLY thought you had a snowball's chance in hell of this, you would have done it already.

Oh, and if you're so sure it's Viridae, here's a challenge for you. Alison's a CheckUser. You won't find another WP-admin as well-respected as her here on WR, when it comes to straight shooting. Maybe if she's around, she can lay your paranoia at rest by running a CheckUser? Not sure it can be done, but if we're able to do it, you have to admit, it would be the one way to go forward in it.
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(ColScott @ Mon 17th March 2008, 3:37pm) *

I think it's more likely RTFA is you than Viridae - it would be a good way to manufacture sympathy for your cause. (as long as you want to open the door to speculative finger pointing)
Kato
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Mon 17th March 2008, 5:30pm) *

I think it's more likely RTFA is you than Viridae - it would be a good way to manufacture sympathy for your cause. (as long as you want to open the door to speculative finger pointing)

I very much doubt RTFA is Viridae, it just isn't his style. I'm 100% confident that it isn't ColScott, who couldn't give a crap about WP's sourcing policies and so on.

I theorize it is someone from that weird pool of nutjobs that spawned DennyColt, PouponToast and other single purpose malcontents, including Anticipation of a New Lover, The -- Sidaway's pompous new persona who seems to be causing trouble everywhere at the moment.
ColScott
QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Mon 17th March 2008, 10:30am) *

Let's see I am supposed to be nicer says Somney.

Okay

Masticate Feces, then keel over dead.
AB
QUOTE(ColScott @ Mon 17th March 2008, 5:42pm) *

Okay, the death wish is really going too far....
thekohser
I've seen Viridae referred to as "he/him/his" many times lately. I thought Viridae was female. Am I wrong?
Pumpkin Muffins
QUOTE(AB @ Mon 17th March 2008, 5:44pm) *

QUOTE(ColScott @ Mon 17th March 2008, 5:42pm) *

Okay, the death wish is really going too far....

Doesn't bother me, I thought it was funny and laughed out loud.

ColScott, why are you so sure it's Viridae. Telepathy? Or are you one of those morons for whom facts and reality don't matter, only your imagination and the cocklebur shoved up your butt?
Viridae
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 18th March 2008, 4:44am) *

I've seen Viridae referred to as "he/him/his" many times lately. I thought Viridae was female. Am I wrong?

Nope, I'm male.

And I have better things to do than to make a sockpuppet and vandalise Don's article (not directed at you Kohs).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.