Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Death threats on Wikipedia close school
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
Castle Rock
A troll posted the following threats on the Wikipedia page for Glen A. Wilson High School. This was after escalating vandalism about hypocrites flirting with fobs, how lame the Badminton team was after losing to their rivals, and and two annoying kids in some class.

This is a warning. Do not remove this from this page. On Friday, April 18, 2008, there will be a shooting at this school. Current list of victims to be shot on this day: Alice Wen, Aaron Gunther, Justin Chung, Michael Zubia, Angela Tsai, Eric Ting, a good majority of the badminton team, and almost every single fob. Take this text down and it will guarantee their death so I suggest you don't.

After a brave vandal fighter (or maybe a cold-hearted one) reverted:

You removed my last edit. I gave you a fair warning. Now the people listed in my previous edit will now be victims in the Glen A. Wilson Shooting to occur this Friday. Your lack of attention to the seriousness of my warning will now be the reason as to why you will receive all fault of this event. Be prepared to have 33 families mourn the loss of their children and place a lawsuit upon your shoulders.

John Reaves wisely called the police. Apparently, there is a policy/essay, Wikipedia:Responding to threats of harm, about this now.

The local news reported that police had been deployed and were searching the entire student body.
everyking
While in general I think it's silly to react to such vandalism beyond reverting it, in this case the vandal succeeded in making his or her threat sound as though it had at least a small possibility of being genuine, so I suppose this was the right response.
Moulton
Two of the earlier IP vandalism edits came from these residential RoadRunner accounts in Southern California.

191.48.85.75 (cpe-75-85-48-191.socal.res.rr.com)

220.86.175.76 (cpe-76-175-86-220.socal.res.rr.com)

RoadRunner assigns permanent (or semi-permanent) IP addresses, which makes it fairly easy to identify the customer using their service.
Somey
Several posts in this thread were moved here...

I'm not too fond of fobs either, to be honest - in fact, I don't even own a pocket watch. It just seems so... Victorian.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.