Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Videmus Omnia says it like it is
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
Cla68
Videmus Omnia returned to Wikipedia to post a rather strong essay about the reasons that he left. He had some especially choice words for the actions of Jim62sch, Orangemarlin, JzG, and Jimbo.

FeloniousMonk, Jim62sch, and Orangemarlin have since edit warred to try to remove the essay. Admin attention then occurred. The current page does not contain the essay.

Jim62sch and Orangemarlin are usually very vocal and open about how they feel about things. But, they don't seem able or willing to extend the same courtesy to the editor that they tried, apparently successfully, to order off of Wikipedia because he opposed them in a content dispute. What's with the thin skins fellas?
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 28th April 2008, 6:48am) *

Videmus Omnia returned to Wikipedia to post a rather strong essay about the reasons that he left. He had some especially choice words for the actions of Jim62sch, Orangemarlin, JzG, and Jimbo.

FeloniousMonk, Jim62sch, and Orangemarlin have since edit warred to try to remove the essay. Admin attention then occurred. The current page does not contain the essay.

Jim62sch and Orangemarlin are usually very vocal and open about how they feel about things. But, they don't seem able or willing to extend the same courtesy to the editor that they tried, apparently successfully, to order off of Wikipedia because he opposed them in a content dispute. What's with the thin skins fellas?

Jim62sch calls VO a prick, and then complains about NYB creating dramah. Ho hum.
Proabivouac
Suppression of dissent is the way to solve our problems.
Moulton
That's pretty much the same crew who I ran into last August and September.

I dunno if it rises to the tort of off-wiki harassment, but here is the off-wiki message I received from Jim Schuler (User:Jim62sch).
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 28th April 2008, 11:56am) *

That's pretty much the same crew who I ran into last August and September.

I dunno if it rises to the tort of off-wiki harassment, but here is the off-wiki message I received from Jim Schuler (User:Jim62sch).

Yikes…
QUOTE(Jim62sch)

Barry, go take your fucking meds. Haldol might be good.

…Haldol can kill you.
Moulton
I frankly have never heard of Haldol. Do you know what it is, and what it's used for?
guy
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 28th April 2008, 1:41pm) *

I frankly have never heard of Haldol. Do you know what it is, and what it's used for?

It's a brand of Haloperidol, used for the treatment of schizophrenia, mania and severe anxiety. It's less sedating than many similar drugs.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(guy @ Mon 28th April 2008, 3:56pm) *

It's a brand of Haloperidol, used for the treatment of schizophrenia, mania and severe anxiety. It's less sedating than many similar drugs.

First hit on Google does rather suggest it was a very unpleasant suggestion for someone to make if they are indeed aware of the drug. Basically, he is calling you mentally ill, but of course nothing that Jim says is a personal attack, it is just pointed and perceptive commentary.

Haloperidol is indicated in the management of manifestations of acute and chronic psychosis, including schizophrenia and manic states. It may also be of value in the management of aggressive and agitated behavior in patients with chronic brain syndrome and mental retardation and in the symptomatic control of Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome.
Moulton
QUOTE(guy @ Mon 28th April 2008, 10:56am) *

Hrmmm...

I wonder if Jim was projecting when he flashed that remark to me.
Cla68
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 28th April 2008, 3:15pm) *

QUOTE(guy @ Mon 28th April 2008, 10:56am) *

Hrmmm...

I wonder if Jim was projecting when he flashed that remark to me.

It's unfortunate that Jimbo didn't show Jim the door like Videmus Omnia said that he said he would do. Driving a productive editor from Wikipedia with threats and intimidation is unacceptable.
Moulton
Hrmmm...

And I also faced off against the participants in the WikiProject on Intelligent Design, and they unceremoniously showed me to the door as well.

I wonder if there are others besides Videmus Omnia and myself who were similarly treated by that same crowd.
The Joy
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 28th April 2008, 8:30pm) *

Hrmmm...

And I also faced off against the participants in the WikiProject on Intelligent Design, and they unceremoniously showed me to the door as well.

I wonder if there are others besides Videmus Omnia and myself who were similarly treated by that same crowd.

Firsfron of Ronchester had something of run-in with the ID crowd a while back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Fir...mber_of_reasons
gomi
Here is the message left by Videmus in its entirety, in the event it gets deleted. I provide it here without comment. I have edited to link some, but not all, of the internal links.
Why I retired

I retired because I was threated with off-wiki action against my real-life livelihood (I'm an active-duty US military member) by User:Jim62sch. See [[Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Jim62sch]]. He was aided and abetted by his admin/cabal-buddies User:Orangemarlin and User talk:JzG. I had initially gone to [Jimbo Wales for help, who told me he would ban Jim62sch, but Jimbo ended up wimping out and being a no-show despite his sincere promises. I'm sure Jimbo is a fine person, and my hat's off to him for helping to found this project, but my experience with him, and the [[Rachel Marsden]] affair, really make me start to believe that the project would be better off without him. I don't know the best way forward - the ArbCom certainly isn't it, given their treatment of Giano and other similar dipshit behavior.

So I left and Jim62sch is still active. <sarc>Wikipedia is a great place.</sarc> Bottom line - if you edit here, cover your ass from Day One, because, in my opinion, folks like Jim62sch will not hesitate to attack you, by whatever method necessary, to win their point in whatever area they are fanatically ideological about. For Jim62sch, it was [[intelligent design]], an obscure topic virtually nobody in real life, aside from fantatic atheists and equally fanatic Christian fundamentalists, really much give a shit about; we intersected because I thought he and his cabal-buddies might be breaching the fair use policies. This initially minor policy disagreement led to a no-holds-barred fight, off-wiki sort-of-blackmail-style threats, and an ArbCom case. My advice - stay the fuck away from controversial articles/policies and let the fanatics on either side fight it out. The challenge of getting involved is not worth the price you might end up paying in real life.

== Apology==
I want to offer a public apology to Sharon ([[User:Phaedriel|Phaedriel]]), who has also apparently retired, with whom I am friends and who designed my previous userpage. Sorry for having the page deleted! When Jim62sch has inevitably been banned from Wikipedia, I will come back and definitely use Sharon's design again.

Moulton
QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 28th April 2008, 8:34pm) *
Hrmmm...

Wow. No wonder I perceived them as uncollegial and uncongenial.
BobbyBombastic

ohmy.gif laugh.gif I didn't know Firsfron had to put up with Filll's harassment, stalking and personal attacks! Maybe that's why we haven't seen Firsfron around here lately?

BTW, Orangemarlin, in my opinion, is...well...not right. I seem to remember that one time OM said that he was an officer in the Naval Reserves and he could give User:Videmus Omnia, a high ranking enlisted man in the Army (I believe), an order to stop editing Wikipedia! Now, perhaps this is technically possible, but it is practically impossible and only a crazy person, a troll (ohmy.gif the T-word!), or someone trying to stroke their own ego would even entertain that possibility.

That entire incident tells me all I need to know about OM. I know/knew a lot of guys like him; Wikipedia has a lot of those types. VO did a lot of great image work...OM on the other hand is mediocre in every possible way. That seems to be a theme on Wikipedia, actually; the majority of mediocre Wikipedians tend to descend upon their above average peers and at least attempt to drive them off--I see this happening currently between FT2 (someone I see as someone that is completely mediocre, but has stuck around long enough, typed enough words to make everyone tired and risen through the ranks nonetheless) and Giano.
Bob Boy
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 28th April 2008, 7:40pm) *

Hrmmm...

Wow. No wonder I perceived them as uncollegial and uncongenial.

It looks like their latest project is the article on Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, which has turned into an anti-ID screed thanks to their efforts. So much for the touted NPOV. Is there any place that one of these guys shows up that Filll, Jim62sch, FeloniousMonk, Guettarda, and OrangeMarlin all show up to do the teenage-girl pile-on thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled:_No_...ligence_Allowed
Moulton
They all work together, as they are all signatories on the WikiProject on Intelligent Design.

Jeez. The article is longer than the movie. WP is gonna put Sominex out of business.
Bob Boy
QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 28th April 2008, 10:55pm) *

They all work together, as they are all signatories on the WikiProject on Intelligent Design.

Yeah, looks like FeloniousMonk can't even abide having VO's essay in the page history...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Carcharoth#VO
Disillusioned Lackey
Yeah, that group's behavior isn't surprising, no, not at all.

Videmus Omnia was a decent guy. It was Wikipedia's loss to see him go. He was actually one of the really obsessive picture guys, and I'm surprised that he didn't get more defense on his side. But he didn't seem to be a particularly political kind - even if he was in the picture-copyright-clique.

One can't really say that "oh, it's a shame and Wikipedia has to stop this" because Wikipedia is like any big, famous organization. They lose good people and there's so many bodies lined up to take their place and get their piece of the pie that you simply don't notice that X or Y left. Wikipedia should be different, because it is volunteer, and community-based it's not, at all.

What's the deal on Felonious Monk? Doesn't he have a bunch of alias's?

How is it that he's in the clique?
Moulton
User:Ferrylodge did allege that User:Odd nature (Paul Mitchell, aka Skip on Blogger) was a sockpuppet of User:FeloniousMonk, but the charges were never proven.
Amarkov
QUOTE(Bob Boy @ Mon 28th April 2008, 9:00pm) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 28th April 2008, 10:55pm) *

Yeah, looks like FeloniousMonk can't even abide having VO's essay in the page history...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Carcharoth#VO

Apparently now it's "not fair" for people who have been driven away to have any statements on Wikipedia. I have no idea why that makes sense.
Somey
I honestly don't see how people like User:Filll, User:Jim63sch, User:OrangeMarlin, User:Carcharoth, and User:FeloniousMonk sleep at night. Do they really think they're doing those of us who really oppose the Intelligent Design "movement" any favors whatsoever, by pursuing these totalitarian-style bullying tactics against people?

They've clearly gained total ascendancy over the entire topic area, which would be fine if all they did was ensure that the articles remained accurate and focused on actual science. Instead, these people are nothing more than reactionary goons and thugs. They're just feeding more ammo to the ID propaganda machine at this point.
Cla68
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 30th April 2008, 5:24am) *

I honestly don't see how people like User:Filll, User:Jim63sch, User:OrangeMarlin, User:Carcharoth, and User:FeloniousMonk sleep at night. Do they really think they're doing those of us who really oppose the Intelligent Design "movement" any favors whatsoever, by pursuing these totalitarian-style bullying tactics against people?

They've clearly gained total ascendancy over the entire topic area, which would be fine if all they did was ensure that the articles remained accurate and focused on actual science. Instead, these people are nothing more than reactionary goons and thugs. They're just feeding more ammo to the ID propaganda machine at this point.

I've asked Jim to explain himself on his userpage.

As far as VO's work with image licenses, I think the issue of image licensing in Wikipedia, especially fair use, is something that's going to come up again in a big way in the future and deserves some separate discussion.
Derktar
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 29th April 2008, 10:31pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 30th April 2008, 5:24am) *

Rest assured, either Jim (or someone else from the goon squad) will launch into a bizarre rant about you "supporting homeopathy" and being "anti-science" or someone (probably JzG) will come along and remove your comments as trolling.
Moulton
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 30th April 2008, 1:31am) *
I think the issue of image licensing in Wikipedia, especially fair use, is something that's going to come up again in a big way in the future and deserves some separate discussion.

The hottest topic in the whole ID circus today is the new pseudo-documentary, Expelled, which makes use of the John Lennon song, "Imagine". You may have heard that Yoko Ono is suing the filmmakers because she doesn't want his music used to promote the ID cause.
Moulton

I will be interested to learn how Jim explains himself.

QUOTE(Jim62sch)
BTW, recall that he [VO] dissed as well. I guess drama is good, yes? •Jim62sch•dissera!

Notice the role of 'dissing' in generating drama. The model for this kind of drama is given by Girard, who extracted it from the novels of Dostoevsky.

Elsewhere in Wikipedia, a similar drama among schoolchildren escalated to an even more ominous instance of Girard's Model of competition, conflict, and violence.
Cla68
QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 30th April 2008, 12:47pm) *

I will be interested to learn how Jim explains himself.

QUOTE(Jim62sch)
BTW, recall that he [VO] dissed as well. I guess drama is good, yes? •Jim62sch•dissera!

Notice the role of 'dissing' in generating drama. The model for this kind of drama is given by Girard, who extracted it from the novels of Dostoevsky.

Elsewhere in Wikipedia, a similar drama among schoolchildren escalated to an even more ominous instance of Girard's Model of competition, conflict, and violence.

He deleted my comment but he also lined through his insulting remark about VO.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Mon 28th April 2008, 6:10pm) *

ohmy.gif laugh.gif I didn't know Firsfron had to put up with Filll's harassment, stalking and personal attacks! Maybe that's why we haven't seen Firsfron around here lately?

Sorry, I just saw this.

My absence (both from WR and from WP) had more to do with a promotion at work than anything else, though that exchange with the ID folks was irritating, particularly the "National Center for Science Education membership is incompatible with disagreeing with a WP:Intelligent Design editor about incivility" (paraphrased) business.

That entire incident tells me all I need to know about OM. I know/knew a lot of guys like him; Wikipedia has a lot of those types. VO did a lot of great image work...OM on the other hand is mediocre in every possible way.

I don't feel that's the case at all. I think OM works hard on articles, and he has brought some up to FA status almost single-handedly. I enjoyed collaborating with OM in the past, and never thought of him as mediocre.
Giggy
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Fri 6th June 2008, 1:41pm) *

That entire incident tells me all I need to know about OM. I know/knew a lot of guys like him; Wikipedia has a lot of those types. VO did a lot of great image work...OM on the other hand is mediocre in every possible way.

I don't feel that's the case at all. I think OM works hard on articles, and he has brought some up to FA status almost single-handedly. I enjoyed collaborating with OM in the past, and never thought of him as mediocre.

I agree. Unfortunately, his civility could sometimes do with more mediocrity, but yes, he has done (and does do) some good work.
BobbyBombastic
QUOTE(Giggy @ Fri 6th June 2008, 9:15am) *

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Fri 6th June 2008, 1:41pm) *

I agree. Unfortunately, his civility could sometimes do with more mediocrity, but yes, he has done (and does do) some good work.
He has done some good work (on a mediocre encyclopedia). dry.gif
Moulton
Can someone unpack his "issue" with civility/incivility?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.