Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Similarities and Differences Between Filll and Moulton
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
Moulton
Over at the WP:AN that Dihydrogen Monoxide (Giggy here on WR) started a few days ago, Filll has published a comprehensive analysis in which he compares his history and adaptation to the Wikipedia culture to my history and maladaptive reaction to the Wikipedia culture.

QUOTE(Why Moulton disdains WP principles By Dr. Filll)
Why Moulton disdains WP principles

It might not be obvious to those here why Moulton would be dismissive of the principles of Wikipedia. He is a lifelong research engineer and research scientist and academic. And frankly, although there is some similarity between Wikipedia and academic writing, it is far from identical, particularly in the sciences and engineering.

And I can say this with some authority, since my background and experience is quite similar to Moulton's.

When I first came to Wikipedia, I saw pages and pages of contradictory policy. I didn't read it. It was too long. It was poorly organized. And I was sure I didn't need to waste the time reading irrelevant drivel. Just like Moulton.

When I first encountered WP:NOR, I was stunned. No research? Huh? That is what academics and scientists are always seeking. That is the goal. Original thought. Novel interpretations. New ideas. Innovation. And it is forbidden here? I was stunned and dismayed and confused. I was sure this was a mistake. Just like Moulton.

When I first encountered WP:NPOV, I was shocked. First, the very name seems contradictory. How can something containing all views in proportion to their prominence be neutral; it makes no sense. Then, we are not allowed to advocate for one position or another? Or at least not supposed to? Even Encyclopedia Britannica does that in their articles, written by experts! What on earth? I didn't get it. I could not understand what the reason for this was. Just like Moulton.

The ideas behind WP:RS and WP:V were a little more clear, but still confusing. For example, academics often use personal communication as a reliable source, which is forbidden here on Wikipedia. Some of what is a reasonable source on Wikipedia would be unlikely to be accepted in academia, like the New York Times. After all, reporters are just basically boobs; they are not academics, or research scientists. They get stories wrong. They misquote. They are idiots, right? So I did not understand this either. Just like Moulton.

Even the principle of WP:SYNTH struck me as dumb when I first encountered it. Putting together two or three disparate sources to demonstrate a point is exactly what you are supposed to do and trained to do in academia and research. But you are not supposed to do it here. I was puzzled about WP:SYNTH when I first encountered it. Just like Moulton.

However, I had senior editors here mentor me and explain these principles to me. And after a while, I came to understand why the principles of Wikipedia were what they are. And to realize the wisdom of them. But I was willing to learn. Moulton has had decades of experience in designing and using online environments. He is positive he knows better. He has rejected any effort to coach him or tutor him. After all, why should someone with his experience submit to tutoring by someone who is probably a teenager or an undergraduate ? (or at least, this is probably what he thinks). Moulton has not been interested in learning, at least so far. He is sure he knows better. And maybe he does. But while people have tried to educate him, he was extremely disruptive.

Therefore, it was quite natural that Moulton rejected all the principles Wikipedia operates under. It was to be expected in fact; I did. I understand perfectly. And it is also quite natural that Moulton continues to reject all the principles that Wikipedia operates under. And it is quite natural that Moulton is resistant to learning about Wikipedia principles and accepting them. This is no mystery. I was the same way for a considerable time at first. But I was more submissive and willing to learn, and eventually I did. Moulton has not reached that point yet, and might never. But if Moulton is to learn how to operate in this environment, I would prefer that someone besides me try to train him, in their areas, rather than me and my associates, in the areas in which he has already demonstrated he has difficulty. Fair enough?--Filll (talk) 12:10, 17 May 2008 (UTC)

Filll's analysis and synthesis of a theory of mind is remarkable.

My problem with Filll's analysis and his theory of mind is that it's not even wrong.

But I wonder if someone would be kind enough explain to me "the principles that Wikipedia operates under" and reveal to me how those "principles" (assuming I can ever apprehend them) make the treatment I was afforded by Filll and his colleagues both expected and inevitable.

Finally, since I believe in complementary relationships, permit me to present my reciprocal views regarding Filll...

QUOTE(An appreciation of Filll's concepts by Moulton)
Moulton's understanding of Filll

Although I have engaged with Filll many times over the past ten months, I confess that I have not yet succeeded in constructing an adequate understanding or appreciation of his mindset or character. I don't understand what he dreads or how he feels about various and sundry issues that recur in his life and his work. I know next to nothing about his personal backstory, including his educational background and experience. I am uninformed about his core beliefs, and baffled by his normative practices. I doubt I could accurately articulate his heartfelt desires or his avowed intentions.

And I am unable to make sense of his observable actions or the ensuing Shreklisch drama that has unfolded between us.

I regret to say, I simply don't understand Filll. I don't understand where he is coming from; I don't understand how he forms his beliefs; nor do I understand why he behaves the way he does.

In terms of my concept of best practices, the best character model I can honestly and ethically put forward at this time regarding my antagonist in this unusual relationship is the Null Model.

And that's the Yin and Yang of our complementary relationship, thus far.
LessHorrid vanU
Uh? You mean, you are just strangers who both are affiliated with the same couple of internet sites and have read and responded to each others postings on occasion...

...and one of you thinks that they are able to divine intention and character by means of those interactions, and the other doesn't.

An interesting viewpoint . One perhaps to be digested by posters to Wikipedia and Wikipedia Review both.
Moulton
QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sat 17th May 2008, 4:11pm) *
Uh? You mean, you are just strangers who both are affiliated with the same couple of internet sites and have read and responded to each others postings on occasion...

Pretty much. We are strangers to each other primarily because we are estranged from each other. I am unclear why Filll elected to estrange himself from me barely a week after we first exchanged greetings...

QUOTE(Talk:Rosalind Picard/Archive#"Anti-evolution")
Enough is enough.--Filll 16:29, 31 August 2007 (UTC)
So, let me get this straight. A single ill-chosen word appearing nowhere but in the headline of only one story (the content of which does not support the sweeping headline) suffices in your mind to firmly and irretrievably commit Wikipedia to publishing a demonstrably false (and potentially harmful and defamatory) characterization of 103 scientists, notwithstanding copious evidence to the contrary? Moulton 20:20, 31 August 2007 (UTC)
It is over, and time for the RfC I believe.--Filll 21:11, 31 August 2007 (UTC)

...and one of you thinks that they are able to divine intention and character by means of those interactions, and the other doesn't.

It would appear that way.

An interesting viewpoint . One perhaps to be digested by posters to Wikipedia and Wikipedia Review both.

Perhaps others possess a divination power that I lack. I see no way to construct an accurate character model of someone from such a modest amount of text-only communication.

I prefer to break bread with someone and get to know them a little better before publishing an unauthorized biography of them.
Moulton
Another fascinating example turns up as the AN conversation burbles along. Whereas Filll presciently invokes the Rashomon effect, I take it to the next level and employ it in a parody.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 17th May 2008, 3:28pm) *

Over at the WP:AN that Dihydrogen Monoxide (Giggy here on WR) started a few days ago, Filll has published a comprehensive analysis in which he compares his history and adaptation to the Wikipedia culture to my history and maladaptive reaction to the Wikipedia culture.

QUOTE(Why Moulton disdains WP principles By Dr. Filll)
Why Moulton disdains WP principles

When I first encountered WP:NPOV, I was shocked. First, the very name seems contradictory. How can something containing all views in proportion to their prominence be neutral; it makes no sense. Then, we are not allowed to advocate for one position or another? Or at least not supposed to? Even Encyclopedia Britannica does that in their articles, written by experts! What on earth? I didn't get it. I could not understand what the reason for this was. Just like Moulton.

Eh? Well, if he understands now why WP does something other than the way the gold standard encyclopedias do, it's time for him to explain it to the rest of us. Cause just like Moulton, I still don't understand it.

So clue me, Filll. Is it because Wikipedia wouldn't know what to do with a genuine expert, if they had one? But isn't this a defect of Wikipedia, not some secret strength? huh.gif
Moulton
I don't know if I qualify as a genuine expert on much of anything above and beyond the details of the contents of my own mindset, but it does appear that Wikipedia doesn't quite know what to do with a character like me, beyond casting me in the central role of some kind of Shreklisch drama.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.