Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia can't save us - San Francisco Bay Guardian
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed

Wikipedia can't save us
San Francisco Bay Guardian, CA -8 minutes ago
BY ANNALEE NEWITZ, TECHSPLOITATION Last week I wrote about the premise of Oxford professor Jonathan Zittrain's new book, The Future of the Internet and How ...

View the article
Milton Roe
This is a funny article. This supposedly websavvy author thinks that Wikipedia offers a "safe space" for publishing your own stuff. LOL.

Hey SF Guardian! Have your articles written by somebody who knows what the hell they're talking about! Otherwise your whole newspaper will be in danger of looking like.... Wikipedia. sad.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 21st May 2008, 12:18am) *

This is a funny article. This supposedly websavvy author thinks that Wikipedia offers a "safe space" for publishing your own stuff. LOL.

Hey SF Guardian! Have your articles written by somebody who knows what the hell they're talking about! Otherwise your whole newspaper will be in danger of looking like.... Wikipedia. sad.gif

I absolutely could not resist "official" Comcast response to this article in its Comments section.

Greg
Moulton
I was gonna say, "There he goes again, the incorrigible Greg Kohser."

But that was actually a professionally crafted comment, not what I expected to find.

Would you have been so moderate if you had not identified yourself by name as the Comcast Director of Market Research?
thekohser
QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 21st May 2008, 11:49am) *

I was gonna say, "There he goes again, the incorrigible Greg Kohser."

But that was actually a professionally crafted comment, not what I expected to find.

Would you have been so moderate if you had not identified yourself by name as the Comcast Director of Market Research?

C'mon, Barry. If you search through my comments on reputable news organization's article pages, I'm quite moderate in most all of my interaction, aren't I?

You make it sound as if I put on the springy-eyeball glasses and blow a kazoo whenever I post to a comments section online. That's not very fair.

I only don that attire here at Wikipedia Review!
Moulton
At the WP:AN, Wesley R. Elsberry bases his judgment on his analysis of what I've posted on my personal blog.

So much for free speech in America, eh?

My point being you're not alone, Greg, in being reviled for what you say off-wiki.
Gold heart
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 21st May 2008, 5:18am) *

LOL!

Imagine a newspaper that anyone can edit.

Yeah, get all these Wikipedia editors on the "job".

Wonder would it work? blink.gif
The Joy
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Wed 21st May 2008, 10:41pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 21st May 2008, 5:18am) *

LOL!

Some of these online news sites have turned their articles into blogs in order for the public to comment on them. Why? I don't know. And what the news sites are going to learn along with WP is that allowing dunderheads to libel others on their site simply is not going to work. mad.gif

I fear modern journalism is in danger of being completely destroyed by the "cult of the amateur." sad.gif
guy
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Thu 22nd May 2008, 3:41am) *

It already exists. It's called Wikinews.
Gold heart
QUOTE(guy @ Thu 22nd May 2008, 9:43am) *

I was thinking of a daily, something like the New York Times! huh.gif

Sorta, hardcopy and ink type? wink.gif
thekohser
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Thu 22nd May 2008, 10:27am) *

And the libel suits would be issued to whom?
Gold heart
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 22nd May 2008, 3:50pm) *

QUOTE(Gold heart @ Thu 22nd May 2008, 10:27am) *

And the libel suits would be issued to whom?

The anon editors and admins, of course. rolleyes.gif

Not the printers. What's that section again? 230? wink.gif ph34r.gif wink.gif
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(guy @ Thu 22nd May 2008, 4:43am) *

Lies, Lies, Lies, Yeah!

Jon cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.