Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HSC students to get Wikipedia course - Sydney Morning Herald
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed
HSC students to get Wikipedia course
Sydney Morning Herald, Australia -19 minutes ago
Weight of the World Wide Web ... NSW HSC students will soon be able to study how Wikipedia works. In an Australian first, NSW HSC students will from next ...

View the article
Giggy
Finally, a uni course I could pass with ease! biggrin.gif

And privatemusings, they spelt your name wrong ohmy.gif
privatemusings
well whodda thunk it...

it inspired me to create a new, singular sock too.....
Derktar
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Sun 25th May 2008, 7:05pm) *

well whodda thunk it...

it inspired me to create a new, singular sock too.....

Careful, you're one step closer to your own Wikipedia article!
The move was also welcomed by a local Wikipedia editor who writes under the pen name name of Privatemusing.

A long-time volunteer Wikipedia editor and a member of its soon-to-be formed local chapter, he said that the best way to learn about new media such as Wikipedia was to "plug in".

Wikipedia should be seen as a first port of call that can "point you in the direction of more authoritative resources".

"Because of that, I have high hopes that it will be a very valuable experience for high school students," he said, one that would expose them to the "good, bad and ugly sides" of Wikipedia.
Kato
The move was also welcomed by a local Wikipedia editor who writes under the pen name name of Privatemusing.

A long-time volunteer Wikipedia editor and a member of its soon-to-be formed local chapter, he said that the best way to learn about new media such as Wikipedia was to "plug in".

Wikipedia should be seen as a first port of call that can "point you in the direction of more authoritative resources".

"Because of that, I have high hopes that it will be a very valuable experience for high school students," he said, one that would expose them to the "good, bad and ugly sides" of Wikipedia.

You're saying there's a good side?
Giggy
QUOTE(Derktar @ Mon 26th May 2008, 12:34pm) *

Careful, you're one step closer to your own Wikipedia article!

User:Dihydrogen Monoxide/Mattinbgn article ohmy.gif
Jon Awbrey
Unlike Wikipedia, universities do not live in a fantasy world ruled by the unrule of No One Is Responsible (WP:NOIR). Students and their parents can and will sue, accrediting bodies and governmental boards can and will censure universities over the adverse consequences of inadequately safeguarded and poorly supervised experimental courses, field experiences, and practica.

Jon cool.gif
privatemusings
just a little clarification - 'cos it's come up a couple of times above;

The Board of Studies here in NSW is responsible for the curriculum for the 'HSC' (Higher School Certificate) - which is secondary (ie. High School) education - so that's 16-18 year old folk....

Students who elect to study English at the 'Standard Level', can elect to study Wikipedia as part of 'Module C - Texts and Society - Elective : The Global Village'. It's all here;
- Page 13.

"In this elective students explore a variety of texts that deal with the ways in which individuals
and communities experience and live in a global context. Students consider the positive and
negative aspects of the global village and the consequences of these on attitudes, values and
beliefs. Students also consider the role and uses of media and technology within the global
village and different attitudes people may have towards them. Students respond to and
compose a range of texts to investigate how and in what ways living in a global village has
changed and influenced the ways we communicate, engage and interact with each other."

cheers,
PM.
Jon Awbrey
Blah³ …

The point remains that educators who assign a field experience are responsible for certain kinds of consequences that due diligence on their part would reasonably lead them to anticipate.

I sincerely doubt that the educators in question have taken the trouble to anticipate certain likely consequences.

The wisdom of hindsight can be painful.

Jon cool.gif
Viridae
QUOTE(privatemusings @ Mon 26th May 2008, 1:42pm) *

just a little clarification - 'cos it's come up a couple of times above;

The Board of Studies here in NSW is responsible for the curriculum for the 'HSC' (Higher School Certificate) - which is secondary (ie. High School) education - so that's 16-18 year old folk....

Students who elect to study English at the 'Standard Level', can elect to study Wikipedia as part of 'Module C - Texts and Society - Elective : The Global Village'. It's all here;
- Page 13.

"In this elective students explore a variety of texts that deal with the ways in which individuals
and communities experience and live in a global context. Students consider the positive and
negative aspects of the global village and the consequences of these on attitudes, values and
beliefs. Students also consider the role and uses of media and technology within the global
village and different attitudes people may have towards them. Students respond to and
compose a range of texts to investigate how and in what ways living in a global village has
changed and influenced the ways we communicate, engage and interact with each other."

cheers,
PM.

Was going to point this one out PM.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Newsfeed @ Mon 26th May 2008, 1:42am) *

HSC students to get Wikipedia course
Sydney Morning Herald, Australia -19 minutes ago
Weight of the World Wide Web ... NSW HSC students will soon be able to study how Wikipedia works. In an Australian first, NSW HSC students will from next ...

View the article

Next: How, coming soon, NSW HSC students will be able to help Tom Sawyer whitewash a fence, AND earn credit for it.
Giggy
PM; so from my reading it won't be like the recent UBC MMM project, rather an external study of the pros and cons of WP?
privatemusings
yeah - it's actually pretty well framed, I think - I know there's been a letter from the chapter / aussie wikipedians to the board of studies fostering closer links - which has gotta be a good thing too - it'll be interesting to see how many HSC students plug in - and their take on what they find - it's very much a study of wikipedia rather than using wikipedia in study in general.

Ps the (london) times article today is pretty funny - take a look!
Viridae
Hahah! That article is great. Thanks PM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.