Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragon695
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
Eva Destruction
Does anyone have any idea who Dragon695 is a sockpuppet of? (Not fishing for an excuse to block, just curious — I presume the checkusers already know who it is and are satisfied.) It seems a bit unlikely that an account would go for almost two years without a single edit, then all of a sudden resurface and start posting 500-word posts at virtually every tedious policy-related page there is.
michael
Get Jimbo in. Look at this guy. 6.97% of edits are to mainspace. At least Miltopia had 24.52% mainspace edits. "Clearly not here to build an encyclopedia"!!!
No one of consequence
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 16th June 2008, 7:48pm) *

Does anyone have any idea who Dragon695 is a sockpuppet of? (Not fishing for an excuse to block, just curious — I presume the checkusers already know who it is and are satisfied.) It seems a bit unlikely that an account would go for almost two years without a single edit, then all of a sudden resurface and start posting 500-word posts at virtually every tedious policy-related page there is.

Why would the checkusers know? Has he done anything disruptive enough to warrant checking? I thought this board generally frowned on such checks.

(Of course, there is no such thing as "this board" but I hope you get my point)

The Joy
He forgot to log in one time. Make of it as you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=207057865

And he has been discussed here before.

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&sh...indpost&p=94665

I suspect he's a DennyColt waiting to strike. My personal opinion, of course.
guy
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Mon 16th June 2008, 9:53pm) *

Why would the checkusers know? Has he done anything disruptive enough to warrant checking? I thought this board generally frowned on such checks.

We do, but we know perfectly well that however much we disapprove, some checkusers think that doing random checks is OK as long as they don't say anything. (Naming no names, Mr DG.)

QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 16th June 2008, 11:01pm) *

He forgot to log in one time. Make of it as you will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=207057865

There are quite a few edits from that IP. It appears to be a university in the south-east USA so there may be many editors on the IP.
prospero
O, Hai There! biggrin.gif Yes, that is me and, no, I am not DennyColt. Guy is correct as to my location, I am a graduate student at Clemson University, which is located in upstate South Carolina.

My purpose in creating an account was to try an improve some stub biographies of politicians in my region, but I never got around to it. You see, almost immediately, I had a few nasty run-ins with Tony Sidaway on IRC and on-wiki where he was being, well... Tony. I don't even remember what it was over, but he just espoused a lot of contempt and arrogance towards us little people. I also had some incidents with Doc Glasgow, who was just as big of a dick. Pretty much convinced me that WP wasn't worth the effort of actually contributing to main article space, so I stuck around mostly to fight them (the userbox war, etc.). Eventually, I just moved on. I still used Wikipedia which, for all its faults, is a pretty good reference for most subjects (the cited links are pretty helpful, too). Any subsequent edits I made, after my departure, were done logged out. They were mostly just spelling, punctuation, and link fixes -- nothing to write home about.

Anyway, in late 2007, I noticed some things had changed in the quality of the articles, particularly the massive lack of images in articles (as opposed to early 2006). Sure enough, apparently a jihad against fair-use had started in the interim by the same "freedom" advocates that make the Debian Linux project suck. You know the kind, spending hundreds of pages of text wringing their hands over how "free" something is, while not actually improving the project. In March 2008, I started getting active again and just found myself commenting on a variety of subjects as time went on. The shit that went down in the interim was really breathtaking, to be quite honest. I never knew that SV was like that and I certainly was not aware of the whole GW/MM thing that had happened in the interim. I was particularly stunned by what had happened to Cla68 and GraceNotes, a real travesty in my opinion.

Today, as for contributions, I'm actually more interested in helping Wiktionary. I am mainly trying to update the many entries which lack IPA pronunciation sections there.

So, nothing sinister, just a newbie who got [[WP:BITE]]'d by the resident Wikipedia dramaqueens and decided not to really do much contributing afterwards. If that qualifies me for a block, then by all means, do so. I certainly won't stop speaking my mind, so you can probably pigeonhole me as another DanT if you want.
Peter Crane
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Mon 16th June 2008, 9:53pm) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 16th June 2008, 7:48pm) *

(Of course, there is no such thing as "this board" but I hope you get my point)

Nope. From an examination I made sitting all day at my computer I can confirm that any Tom Dick and Harry can ask for a checkuser for the flimsiest of reasons. But particularly if they don't like you.

prospero
QUOTE(michael @ Mon 16th June 2008, 4:33pm) *

Get Jimbo in. Look at this guy. 6.97% of edits are to mainspace. At least Miltopia had 24.52% mainspace edits. "Clearly not here to build an encyclopedia"!!!

Would you have rather I padded my stats with mindless Huggle and/or Twinkle reverts? I'd dare say there are some administrators who might fit those percentages, too. laugh.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(prospero @ Tue 17th June 2008, 7:03am) *

O, Hai There! biggrin.gif Yes, that is me and, no, I am not DennyColt. Guy is correct as to my location, I am a graduate student at Clemson University, which is located in upstate South Carolina.

Greetings Prospero. The dragon.
prospero
QUOTE(Disillusioned Lackey @ Tue 17th June 2008, 1:09pm) *

QUOTE(prospero @ Tue 17th June 2008, 7:03am) *

Greetings Prospero. The dragon.

Greetings and salutations. biggrin.gif I'm finding that signature of yours to be quite illuminating. I was only aware of the User:!! incident and a few other mislabeled socks. Quite the crusader, she is.
Milton Roe
Though it's not the season, the thread title was irresistible. Might not apply even apply to Dragon695, but for socks it does apply to, here's a medieval warning.

================

What Sock Is This? (traditional, Crumsleeves)

What Sock is this, who edits best
On trivia while it is ripe'ning,
Whom Cabal friends say e'er intends
To write content, and never be fright'ning?
Block, block, this the worst of socks!
Whom sysops guard and you can't defrock!
Stop, stop the rushed RfA
For this puppet, the bad hand of power!

Why come so quick to such huge esteem,
With better editors writing?
Ye scribers fear for your work just here,
And resign yourselves to the fighting!
Vote, vote, ere it does to you
As you wish you'd done while it grew and grew
Stop, stop, or you'll ne're be rid
Of this puppet, the bad hand of power.

cool.gif
dtobias
QUOTE(prospero @ Tue 17th June 2008, 8:03am) *

I certainly won't stop speaking my mind, so you can probably pigeonhole me as another DanT if you want.

Does the world really need more than one of me? smile.gif

----------------
Now playing: Andy Gibb - I Just Want To Be Your Everything
via FoxyTunes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.