Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has Ryan Postlethwaite goofed??
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
Gold heart
Are Ryan Postlethwaite and Alison tag-teaming together to damage an editor in the troubled "Troubles" area. I certainly hope not, and would be suprised if Alison was. Domer48, an intelligent and learned editor had to continually contend with two trollers, Wotapalaver and Colin4C on the Talk:The Great Hunger page. Colin4c insisted that his citations were good, but Domer48 wasn't fooled, and called Colin4c a liar. It appears that Colin4c may have been inventing citations. Dormer took it to ANI.

What happened? Domer48 gets a 2 month ban from editing the article, and a one month ban from the talk page. There are no specific reasons. Ryan Postlethwaite bars IPs from the talk page. I complain to ANI, and then he accuses Domer and me of being sockpuppets. Domer asks Alison to do CU, and she gives back an extremly anemic response, "can't prove guilt, can't prove innocence, sorry!". I have seen her do better. I remind Domer that Ryan Postlethwaite nominated Alison for admin, "conflict of interest" perhaps?

Now Domer has left Wikipedia.

I have asked Ryan Postlethwaite to apologise to Domer48. He hasn't yet, but as they say, "is he man enough to apologise?".

We'll soon find out, I guess. unsure.gif
SirFozzie
Interesting. I just made the connection.

Editing via mobile phones.

Who do we know that's edited via mobile phones in the past.. specifically to get around a ban? (and caused one mobile phone range to be rangeblocked?)
Rootology
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Thu 26th June 2008, 4:04pm) *

Who do we know that's edited via mobile phones in the past.. specifically to get around a ban? (and caused one mobile phone range to be rangeblocked?)

Thats a new one to me... who?
Gold heart
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Fri 27th June 2008, 12:04am) *

Typically usual inane response from Foz, mobile phone and all that BS about evading blocks. I wouldn't go to that much trouble to edit Wikipedia. My edits are very prim and above board. Just find one incidence of incivility on that range. Get a life Foz. Wake up to reality!

Address the issue, don't shoot the messanger. dry.gif cool.gif
SirFozzie
The original poster of this thread.

QUOTE(Gold heart @ Thu 26th June 2008, 7:11pm) *

QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Fri 27th June 2008, 12:04am) *

Typically usual inane response from Foz, mobile phone and all that BS about evading blocks. I wouldn't go to that much trouble to edit Wikipedia. My edits are very prim and above board. Just find one incidence of incivility on that range. Get a life Foz. Wake up to reality!

Address the issue, don't shoot the messanger. dry.gif cool.gif

*bang*

If you look at Ryan's page, I said it's not him, and I have a good idea who it is. Next step is closing off yet another set of Mobile phone IP's editing priviliges.
Janron
Reading this section is very chilling. More chilling is the admins trying to whip this person to confirm or else.

Can you say "cult-ish"

A destructive cult is almost any kind of organization whose followers have been deceptively and unethically recruited and retained. They use manipulative techniques, which are imposed without the informed consent of the recruit and are designed to alter personality and behavior. These groups are only concerned about advancing the mission or business of the group, and not the well being of the individual members. The leadership is interested in control, power, and self-aggrandizement.

What are the Marks of a Destructive Cult?

UNDUE INFLUENCE: Manipulation by use of psychologically sophisticated techniques such as coercive persuasion or behavior modification. (Yep - behave or do x, and you will be able to come out isolation and join the rest of the group.)

CHARISMATIC LEADER: Claims divinity or special knowledge and demands unquestioning obedience. Doubting or questioning the leader’s authority is not tolerated. Leadership may consist of one individual or a small core of leaders. Leaders live a life of privilege and often one of wealth. (Yep - Jimbo, and the admins)

DECEPTION: Recruits and fundraises with hidden objectives, without full disclosure of the use of funds or the use of mind controlling techniques. Many cults use "front groups" to conceal their identity. ( Stong yep - no need for examples.)
EXCLUSIVITY: Secretiveness or vagueness by followers regarding activities and beliefs. (Strong yep - hopefully do not need to provide examples, they are all over this site)

ALIENATION: Separation from family, friends and society; a change in values and substitution of the cult as the new "family;" evidence of subtle or abrupt personality changes. ( Close - think "blocks" like the one above.)

EXPLOITATION: Can be financial, physical, or psychological. This may include This may include pressure to give money, by spending a great deal on courses or by giving excessively to special projects; pressure to work at menial or other jobs for excessive hours without adequate rest or nutrition; and pressure on adults and children to engage in inappropriate and often abusive sexual activities. ( Yep)

BLACKS AND WHITE WORLDVIEW (we\they syndrome): Everything in the group is good while everything outside the group (including individual goals) is evil, bad, or crazy. While claiming goodness, unethical behaviors are used to promote group goals . yep "BADSITES" )

To be considered a destructive cult, a group must have all of the above to one degree or another. (Oh, heck yep)
[Source]
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Gold heart @ Thu 26th June 2008, 10:23pm) *

Are Ryan Postlethwaite and Alison tag-teaming together to damage an editor in the troubled "Troubles" area. …Domer asks Alison to do CU, and she gives back an extremly anemic response, "can't prove guilt, can't prove innocence, sorry!".

Alison wrote:
QUOTE(Alison)

I ran the checkuser, as requested and can state that Domer48 (talk · contribs) is not socking, to the best of my knowledge. However, I cannot comment on the mobile IPs and have no way of connecting or distancing them from Domer in any way. I've just no way of knowing. I can state that Domer48 has never used a mobile IP under his logged-in name and I personally consider it unlikely, from a style and behavioural impression, that the anon editor is Domer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ali...eckuser_request

It's quite absurd to characterize this as "tag-teaming" with Ryan Postlethwaite to damage Domer. It appears instead that she’s gone out of her way to exonerate Domer, when a simple "inconclusive" would have been par for the course at RfCU.
gomi
Moderator's note: Many of the posts here have been moved into a thread in the Tar Pit. Posts appearing to have on-topic content are left here, and I apologize in advance for any mistakes. This topic is now closed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.