Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimbo's $$ promotion on User page
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
thekohser
According to Wikipedia rules, is an editor allowed to use their User page to promote themselves for hire?

'''Invitations:''' If you want to invite me to speak at a conference, please send an e-mail to {{nowrap|{{NonSpamEmail|walesgroup|harrywalker.com}}}} or call {{nowrap|1=<span style="text-align:left">+1 646-227-4900</span>}}. If you call this number with complaints about Wikipedia, they will not know what you are talking about, and you will not receive any help at all.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 28th June 2008, 8:20pm) *

According to Wikipedia rules, is an editor allowed to use their User page to promote themselves for hire?

'''Invitations:''' If you want to invite me to speak at a conference, please send an e-mail to {{nowrap|{{NonSpamEmail|walesgroup|harrywalker.com}}}} or call {{nowrap|1=<span style="text-align:left">+1 646-227-4900</span>}}. If you call this number with complaints about Wikipedia, they will not know what you are talking about, and you will not receive any help at all.

It looks like WMF finally got a real help desk:

1 646-227-4900 If you call this number with complaints about Wikipedia, they will not know what you are talking about, and you will not receive any help at all.
Jon Awbrey
Greg,

Try to keep up. Have you not read the First Dementment to the Constitution of the Republic of Jimbobwe?
  1. We, the Jimbo, are thy Lord, thy God. Thou shalt have no self-promotion but my self-promotion.
Besides, it's all for his favourite charity.

Jon cool.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th June 2008, 2:20am) *

But you might receive satisfaction if you call that number complaining about a person promoting their own business on Wikipedia.

"This isn't the number for complaints"
"Well, what is it the number for?"
"For invitations for Mr. Wales to speak."
"For free?"
"No, he charges a fee. Who are you?"
"I'm the guy who would be sending him a 1099, I guess. Look this is an advertisement, right? It's an advertisement for Jimbo to make money which goes into his pocket, right?"
"Click."

"Hello, Mr. Wales speaking service."
"Hi, I have a complaint about somebody using their TALK page to advertise their services"
"Is this you again? There are laws, and this is harrassment."
"Oh, sorry. How much is Mr. Wales' fee?"
"Click"

"Hello. It's me again. I just wanted to know if he needs a limo."
"Click"

DAMN it!
guy
How different from Wikipedia Review, where we get people promoting their commercial ventures all the time.
cyofee
Guess which page on Wikipedia is the only one with a special warning?

It's Jimbo's user page. Even has some really special ASCII art.

CODE
                      /_  __/___     | |  / /___ _____  ____/ /___ _/ /____
                       / /  / __ \   | | / / __ `/ __ \/ __  / __ `/ / ___/
                      / /  / /_/ /   | |/ / /_/ / / / / /_/ / /_/ / (__  )
                     /_/   \____/    |___/\__,_/_/ /_/\__,_/\__,_/_/____/

*****************************************************************************************
    *                                                                                       *
    *                   *** A word of advice to potential vandals: ***                      *
    *                **** This page is watched by many, many editors! ****                  *
    *                **** Vandalism to this page will be short-lived, ****                  *
    *          ** and will be quickly reverted (usually within seconds). **                 *
    *                    ** In addition, it may result in a block. **                       *
    *          ** Seriously,  don't even think of doing it, we're watching you! **          *
    *                                                                                       *
    *                     Although the same policy applies to all pages,                    *
    *     a special warning is placed here because Jimbo is such an attractive target.      *
    *                              (and handsome too;-D)                                   *
    *                              So please think twice!                                   *
    *                          And try to relax a little, OK?                               *
    *         We are a charitable group trying to do something useful for the world.        *
    *               Consider helping; it is more fun. Honestly, no joke. :-)                *
    *                                    Thank you.                                         *
    *****************************************************************************************

And look at this gem:

CODE
I founded<!--

Please don't change this to co-founded. It has been discussed over many times, and Jimbo can define himself however he wants on his user page.

--> [[Wikipedia]] in 2001.

So that's why Jimbo didn't have a problem with Essjay lying on his user page, because he's doing the exact same thing. How many times has Jimbo used his role as the "founder" of Wikipedia to win disputes? Certainly not a number I can count on my fingers, even if I use finger binary.
thekohser
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 29th June 2008, 3:39am) *

How different from Wikipedia Review, where we get people promoting their commercial ventures all the time.

Wikipedia (Wikimedia Foundation) -- registered non-profit corporation supported with tax-deductible donations, with rules against commercialization of User pages.

Wikipedia Review -- privately-owned project supported with cash infusions that are not tax-deductible (including a sum from Gregory Kohs), with no rules against commercialization of messages.

To answer your question... very different.

P.S. How much cash did you contribute to Selina for Wikipedia Review, Guy?
thekohser
What Wikipedia has to say:

Wikipedia is not your web host

Many of the content restrictions listed above apply to your user page as well. Your user page is not a personal homepage, nor is it a blog. More importantly, your user page is not yours. It is a part of Wikipedia, and exists to make collaboration among Wikipedians easier, not for self-promotion. See User page help for current consensus guidelines on user pages.

You are welcome to include a link to your personal home page, although you should not surround it with any promotional language.

Generally, you should avoid substantial content on your user page that is unrelated to Wikipedia. Wikipedia is not a general hosting service, so your user page is not a personal homepage. Your page is about you as a Wikipedian. Examples of unrelated content include:

Advertising or promotion of a business or organization unrelated to Wikipedia (such as purely commercial sites or referral links)

In general, if you have material that you do not wish for others to edit, or that is otherwise inappropriate for Wikipedia, it should be placed on a personal web site. Many free and low-cost web hosting, email, and weblog services are widely available, and are a proper place for content unrelated to Wikipedia. You might also want to consider Wikia for wiki-style community collaboration. Alternatively, you can download the MediaWiki software and install it on your own server if you want full control.

If the community lets you know that they would rather you delete some content from your user space, you should consider doing so — such content is only permitted with the consent of the community. Alternatively, you could move the content to another site, and link to it.

If you do not cooperate, inappropriate content will eventually be removed, either by editing the page (if only part of it is inappropriate), or by redirecting it to your main user page (if it is entirely inappropriate).

In extreme cases, your user subpage may be deleted, following a listing on Miscellany for deletion, subject to deletion policy.

Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th June 2008, 12:07pm) *

Many of the content restrictions listed above apply to your user page as well. Your user page is not a personal homepage, nor is it a blog. More importantly, your user page is not yours. It is a part of Wikipedia, and exists to make collaboration among Wikipedians easier, not for self-promotion. See User page help for current consensus guidelines on user pages.

You are welcome to include a link to your personal home page, although you should not surround it with any promotional language.

Generally, you should avoid substantial content on your user page that is unrelated to Wikipedia. Wikipedia is not a general hosting service, so your user page is not a personal homepage. Your page is about you as a Wikipedian. Examples of unrelated content include:

Advertising or promotion of a business or organization unrelated to Wikipedia (such as purely commercial sites or referral links)

In general, if you have material that you do not wish for others to edit, or that is otherwise inappropriate for Wikipedia, it should be placed on a personal web site. Many free and low-cost web hosting, email, and weblog services are widely available, and are a proper place for content unrelated to Wikipedia. You might also want to consider Wikia for wiki-style community collaboration. Alternatively, you can download the MediaWiki software and install it on your own server if you want full control.

If the community lets you know that they would rather you delete some content from your user space, you should consider doing so — such content is only permitted with the consent of the community. Alternatively, you could move the content to another site, and link to it.

If you do not cooperate, inappropriate content will eventually be removed, either by editing the page (if only part of it is inappropriate), or by redirecting it to your main user page (if it is entirely inappropriate).

In extreme cases, your user subpage may be deleted, following a listing on Miscellany for deletion, subject to deletion policy.

Lemme get this strait —

The statement of Wikipedia's Non-Promotion Policy is itself a flagrant promotion of one of Jimbo's commercial ventures?

Sounds about Wiki-Par for the course.

Jon cool.gif
guy
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th June 2008, 4:46pm) *

To answer your question...

I wasn't asking a question.

I don't believe in bragging about my contributions.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(guy @ Sun 29th June 2008, 1:33pm) *

To answer your question …

I wasn't asking a question.

And who will moderate the moderators?

Jon cool.gif
Yehudi

I've no way of knowing, but surely Guy's devoted dozens of hours of unpaid labour over the years to keeping this site going. At even £10 an hour, that's many hundreds of pounds. And of course, that's provided a vast amount of free advertising for those who promote their wares here.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(Yehudi @ Sun 29th June 2008, 2:09pm) *

I've no way of knowing, but surely Guy's devoted dozens of hours of unpaid labour over the years to keeping this site going. At even £10 an hour, that's many hundreds of pounds. And of course, that's provided a vast amount of free advertising for those who promote their wares here.

Just as every link and mention of Wikipedia helps Jimbo up the Google rank of his link farm and thus to promote his wares.

Jon cool.gif
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 28th June 2008, 9:49pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th June 2008, 2:20am) *

But you might receive satisfaction if you call that number complaining about a person promoting their own business on Wikipedia.

"This isn't the number for complaints"
"Well, what is it the number for?"
"For invitations for Mr. Wales to speak."
"For free?"
"No, he charges a fee. Who are you?"
"I'm the guy who would be sending him a 1099, I guess. Look this is an advertisement, right? It's an advertisement for Jimbo to make money which goes into his pocket, right?"
"Click."

"Hello, Mr. Wales speaking service."
"Hi, I have a complaint about somebody using their TALK page to advertise their services"
"Is this you again? There are laws, and this is harrassment."
"Oh, sorry. How much is Mr. Wales' fee?"
"Click"

"Hello. It's me again. I just wanted to know if he needs a limo."
"Click"

DAMN it!

Another belly laugh, courtesy of Milton Rowfl-over and over

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 29th June 2008, 1:16pm) *

..... helps Jimbo up the Google rank of his link farm and thus to promote his wares.

Jon cool.gif

HUSH! There are children on the internet! Besides, I'm tired of reading about Jimbo's "wares" and "where they've been and with whom" in various gossip rags..

Some things are best kept private!

QUOTE(guy @ Sun 29th June 2008, 12:33pm) *

I feel a strong need to make a British joke, but I will restrain myself.... smile.gif

QUOTE(cyofee @ Sun 29th June 2008, 3:09am) *

Guess which page on Wikipedia is the only one with a special warning?

It's Jimbo's user page. Even has some really special ASCII art.
Oh.My.God.
QUOTE(cyofee @ Sun 29th June 2008, 3:09am) *

Please don't change this to co-founded. It has been discussed over many times, and Jimbo can define himself however he wants on his user page.
No words. Ok, one word. Starts with a "V". ends with a "omit".

The "handsome too" comment gets my v-word again.

Blech. Over and over.
thekohser

I've no way of knowing, but surely Guy's devoted dozens of hours of unpaid labour over the years to keeping this site going.

Yep, me too. Except I'd probably say "hundreds" of hours, not "dozens".
Poetlister
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th June 2008, 11:20pm) *

I've no way of knowing, but surely Guy's devoted dozens of hours of unpaid labour over the years to keeping this site going.

Yes, looking at the system logs I'd agree that Guy must have spent hundreds of hours. Even if Mr. Kohser paid us for all the free advertising he has had, it wouldn't amount to a fraction of what Guy has contributed.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Poetlister @ Sun 29th June 2008, 10:37pm) *

Yes, looking at the system logs I'd agree that Guy must have spent hundreds of hours. Even if Mr. Kohser paid us for all the free advertising he has had, it wouldn't amount to a fraction of what Guy has contributed.

Thanks, Guy! And needless to say, thanks, Somey!

I would give you both a soft sloppy kiss wub.gif, but you'd both take it entirely the wrong way.

And no, don't anybody suggest the WR equivalent of a barnstar. If you do, you still haven't gotten the basic idea. Stick around until you do.
thekohser
QUOTE(Poetlister @ Sun 29th June 2008, 6:37pm) *

Wow, you guys and gals may be on to me. You see, I've been trying for over a year now to rack up AdSense clicking on my site, and my thousands of posts here, while disguised in general tones of REVIEWING WIKIPEDIA, are actually intended to get you all to come to my site and click on advertising. So far this month, my tally is $5.33. I suspect that at least one-fifth of that are Wikipedia Review regulars. Do you know what kind of amazing RETURN that is on my hours spent at this site?

Quite an amazing accomplishment, don't you think?

Y'all are TOO SWIFT for me. Maybe I should just quit while I'm ahead!

"We're in the money... We're in the money..."
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sun 29th June 2008, 4:16pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 29th June 2008, 12:07pm) *

Lemme get this strait —

The statement of Wikipedia's Non-Promotion Policy is itself a flagrant promotion of one of Jimbo's commercial ventures?

Sounds about Wiki-Par for the course.

Jon cool.gif

It has to go in the Top 10 Wiki-Irony Awards. Those sentences about not doing private promotion are about a paragraph from the sentence promoting Jimmy's private machine. Some Gunga Din should just remove the sentence about Wikia, with the note that it directly contravenes policy being promoted in the page! Might be a fun edit war. It would be one thing had Jimbo run WMF as a non-F all along. But he didn't. So there are rules for that.

Anybody with a throwaway sock account they want to devote to this? smile.gif

Another wonderful illustration, BTW, of the fact that narcissists are absolutely unable to see the irony of them promoting rules for others, that they don't think should apply to themselves. When you point it out, they just cannot see it. "Why", they will say, "I"ve got a really GOOD reason for doing what I'm doing!" laugh.gif

(And you don't). dry.gif
Jon Awbrey
The conduct of two so-called "Moderators/Staff" on this thread is disgraceful.

This is my formal request that similar attacks on contributors to WR cease and desist.

Jon Awbrey
thekohser
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 29th June 2008, 8:10pm) *

It has to go in the Top 10 Wiki-Irony Awards. Those sentences about not doing private promotion are about a paragraph from the sentence promoting Jimmy's private machine. Some Gunga Din should just remove the sentence about Wikia, with the note that it directly contravenes policy being promoted in the page! Might be a fun edit war. It would be one thing had Jimbo run WMF as a non-F all along. But he didn't. So there are rules for that.

Milton, check this out.

Reference to Wikia
This appears in the what must I not have on my page guidelines: "You might also want to consider Wikia for wiki-style community collaboration." First, is Wikia for free? Second, is Wikia for profit? It's hard to tell either from the article and I know it has something to do with Jimbo, so my request is somewhat sensitive: If it's not free and is for profit, can this referral be removed? it looks like an endorsement or advertisement. If I'm being an a-hole about this, tell me, but I don't mean to be, but if we had a referral to godaddy or something I'd be equally curious but not quite so sheepish about it. Carlossuarez46 06:20, 26 July 2007 (UTC)

Agreed please remove to make Larry happy. Purpletext4 (talk) 19:37, 26 November 2007 (UTC)

It's the end of June 2008 now, folks. Anybody listening??

Ah, yes... we have an activist reader of the Wikipedia Review. Score one for our side.

Greg
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 30th June 2008, 3:27am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 29th June 2008, 8:10pm) *

Milton, check this out.

Reference to Wikia
This appears in the what must I not have on my page guidelines: "You might also want to consider Wikia for wiki-style community collaboration." First, is Wikia for free? Second, is Wikia for profit? It's hard to tell either from the article and I know it has something to do with Jimbo, so my request is somewhat sensitive: If it's not free and is for profit, can this referral be removed? it looks like an endorsement or advertisement. If I'm being an a-hole about this, tell me, but I don't mean to be, but if we had a referral to godaddy or something I'd be equally curious but not quite so sheepish about it. Carlossuarez46 06:20, 26 July 2007 (UTC)

Agreed please remove to make Larry happy. Purpletext4 (talk) 19:37, 26 November 2007 (UTC)

It's the end of June 2008 now, folks. Anybody listening??

Ah, yes... we have an activist reader of the Wikipedia Review. Score one for our side.

Greg

Awesome guts. Let's see if it lasts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.