Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MickMacNee
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors
thekohser
User:MickMacNee has written a lengthy defense of the [[Wikipedia Review]] article staying dead and redirected.

I looked into this guy's contributions, and I find it highly suspicious that someone who would criticize the "general notability" of Wikipedia Review would have made his very SECOND Wikipedia edit ever to create this article:

Busways Travel Services Limited was a large bus operator in the 1990's in the north east of England. In July 1995 Busways was acquired by Stagecoach.

Company History

PTE divestment
Busways began trading in 1986 under the ownership of the Tyne and Wear PTA to take over the Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive’s bus operations as per the requirements of the 1986 Transport Act regarding deregulation of bus services.

Employee Ownership
In 1989 Busways was sold to the employees and management as an Employee Share Ownership Plan company, with the management owning 51% of shares and employees owning 49%. During this time fleet names carried the strap line An employee owned company.

In late 1993 Busways management considered an offer from the Employee board members to buy out some of the management shares using one of the employee share trusts. With he fast paced development of the industry this was not thought to be in the long term best interests of the company.

By March 1994 it was considering options of geographic expansion, merging or acquiring other companies, and selling to a national group. The company had become concerned at it's proximity to the recently floated Go-Ahead Group, and the fact that United to the south, and Northumbria to the north, were also possible targets for the larger groups. It believed that independently it would struggle to defend the company against expansion by these neighbours in the future.

The Busways board came to the conclusion that a merger with one of the larger groups was the only viable option.

Stagecoach Ownership
Stagecoach acquired Busways in July 1994. This takeover had to be accepted by around 1700 employee shareholders, 99% of which accepted. Stagecoach was the preferred and recommended bidder out of two national groups.

Busways was relatively unique amongst new Stagecoach subsidiaries in that it was able to keep it's liveries for a few years after takeover, as dictated in the terms of the takeover, rather than wholesale adoption of the corporate striped identity. Busways livery persisted until a late as 1998[1]. During this period fleet names carried the new strap line 'Part of the Stagecoach Group'[2]. On eventual adoption of the striped scheme, the Busways, Blue Bus Service and Economic names survived in the red Stagecoach strap lines[3]. Busways was eventually dropped with the emergence of the second generation Stagecoach livery.

Darlington Controversy
In January 1994 employee owned Busways had been considering expanding in the Darlington area, although by March this study was suspended while other possible futures were being considered. In the months following the Stagecoach takeover, the Busways subsidiary was a key player in the Darlington Bus War.

Stagecoach North East
The Busways identity now only exists as a legal entity of the Stagecoach North East bus division, and trades as Stagecoach in Newcastle/Sunderland/South Shields. The Busways travel shops in Newcastle have since been closed. Byker Bus depot has been demolished[4] and replaced by a brand new facility at Walkergate[5].

Fleet History
Busways inherited a large fleet of panoramic windowed Leyland Atlanteans and Daimler Fleetlines from the PTE, although these had been substantially renewed in 1986 with 65 Alexander RH bodied Leyland Olympians[6]. Busways also inherited several Bristol LH single-deckers from the PTE, many of which were scrapped or converted to driver trainers. Some examples survived into 1994, used in the main fleet, Blue Bus Services and Favourite Services, and the type was added to in this time with many second hand examples. In PTE ownership the company acquired several 1987 Mercedes 709D minibuses, and 1989 Leyland Lynxes.

In 1989 and 1991, Employee owned Busways standardised on the Scania N113 chassis, on Northern Counties and Alexander RH double deck bodies, and Alexander PS single deck bodies. The double deck fleet was also added to with purchases of some Northern Counties bodied 1987 Leyland Olympians new to London Buses Bexley Bus operation. In 1992 Busways moved into the midibus market, purchasing Alexander Dash bodied Dennis Darts, although 1993 batches were augmented with Plaxton bodied examples.

Dart purchases continued into the Stagecoach ownership. In 1994 some second hand Bristol RE’s were acquired for the Blue Bus Services and Economic fleets, all of which were withdrawn by 1998. The double-deck fleet was again augmented with 40 Alexander RH bodied Volvo Olympians in late 1995/early 1996.

Identities

Busways
The majority of bus services were under the Busways fleet name, with an appropriate pre-name: Newcastle (Slatyford), City (Byker), South Shields and Sunderland. The livery adopted was based on the old PTE scheme, with orange in pace of the yellow, and the blue/black detailing removed. A coloured skirt, midline band and the fleet names were coloured according to the division: Brown for City and Newcastle, blue for South Shields and green for Sunderland.[7][8][9][10]

Blue Bus Services
Blue Bus Services wore dark blue and white liveries, with yellow fleet names. [11] Other buses wore a lighter blue colour scheme[12].

Favourite
Favourite buses wore a white upper, dark orange midline and a brown skirt, with brown fleet names[13].

Economic
Economic wore a dark red and white livery with gold ECONOMIC fleet names[14], for use on routes between South Shields and Sunderland, a route which had been formerly operated by a historical operator of the same name which had been absorbed into the PTE in the 1970s. An Atlantean had been previously decorated in Economic livery by the PTE to mark the 60th anniversary of this company[15]

Tyne and Wear Omnibus Company
Tyne and Wear Omnibus Company was an independent operator purchased by Go-Ahead Group, then immediately sold to Busways for £2m on the 17th of November 1989. Tyne and Wear Omnibus Company wore a livery of a white upper, dark blue lowers, with a green and maroon double stripe, and yellow fleet names[16][17]. The identity was short-lived, and used only on minibuses. It disappeared in the withdrawal of these vehicles, with services transferred to Busways and Blue Bus.

Welcome Passenger Services
Welcome was an independent minibus based competitor in Newcastle using red and yellow vehicles[18]. The company was bought by Busways in August 1993 and run as a subsidiary until the company was made dormant on 31st October.

Innovations

FareSaver
Busways introduced a travel card for just its routes, in competition with the previous PTE network wide travel cards. The FareSaver was heavily marketed with branded buses[19][20][21].

100 MetroCentre Shuttle
Since the creation of Busways coincided with the opening of the MetroCentre shopping mall in Gateshead, this saw the creation and subsequent continuous operation of one of the few south of the river Tyne services of the Newcastle division, the 100 MetroCentre Shuttle.

100 Shuttle was operated in a dedicated livery of the newest delivered single deck vehicles[22][23]. The livery has undergone several iterations, and now exists as a rather subdued route-branded version of the standard Stagecoach livery, albeit still operated by unique new MAN single-deckers.

Low cost units
In deregulated operation, the Blue Bus Services and Favourite Services units were operated as low cost operations, in order to win the now tendered PTE supported services, and to operate on low margin commercial routes in the Busways area.

Magic Bus
In 1997, Busways was chosen by Stagecoach as the first location for trials of the Magic Bus concept in a currently owned operator’s area. This was a new take on the low cost concept, but run on the company’s existing high volume corridors, rather than on tendered or low margin routes. Routes were numbered as per the main services, but with a following ‘M’, e.g. 12M, 39M.

The purpose of the operation was to compete with emerging smaller competitors, and provide a low-fare alternative to the main services, thereby increasing ridership by offering cheaper travel options. PTE and travel passes were not valid on Magic Buses, but Busways travel passes were.

Magic Bus vehicles as a consequence tended to be the older vehicles in the fleet, and were more prone to breakdowns as a result. Coincidentally, many of the first Olympians bought by the PTE and inherited by Busways, were re-deployed by Stagecoach onto Magic Bus routes in Glasgow.

Quality Corridors
Busways introduced a quality service concept using the ‘Blue Riband’ brand name, which appeared on buses a timetable leaflets. This saw a blue riband applied to certain vehicles on these quality corridors[24]

Environmentally friendly buses
Busways trialled early versions of technology for cleaner, quieter buses, promoted by specially liveried ‘Green Machine’ buses. These included a Scania N113[25] and a Leyland Lynx[26].

Armstrong Galley Coaches
Busways had also purchased the coach firm Armstrong Galley coaches, which wore a bright livery of a blue base, and yellow, orange and red stripes[27]. Armstrong Galley ran a flagship service to London competing with National Express. This was branded as the Clipper[28].

Busways in preservation
Several Busways vehicles exist in preservation, as listed below.

499 RCU 499S [1]
838 RCU 838S [2]
210 EJR 110W [3]
268 SCN 268S [4]
111 EJR 111W [5]
111 is garaged in the Slatyford depot and can often be seen being worked on on Sundays.

See Also
Stagecoach North East
Tyne and Wear PTE

References
^ Fotopic site detailing last Busways livery
^ Fotopic Image showing the ‘’Part of the Stagecoach Group’’ strap line
^ Fotopic Image of the Economic Stagecoach strap line
^ Property Week article about Byker regeneration
^ Architects Page for the new Walkergate bus depot (incorrectly named Byker)
^ Fotopic Image of a PTE liveried Olympian
^ Fotopic Image of Sunderland Busways livery
^ Fotopic Image of South Shields Busways livery
^ Fotopic Image of City Busways livery
^ Fotopic Image of Newcastle Busways livery
^ Fotopic Image of Blue Bus Services livery
^ Fotopic Image of Blue Bus Services lighter blue livery
^ Fotopic Image of Favourite livery
^ Fotopic Image of ECONOMIC livery
^ Fotopic Image of an ECONOMIC liveried 1985 anniversary bus
^ Fotopic Image of Tyne and Wear Omnibus Company livery on a Mercedes minibus
^ [http://album4103.fotopic.net/p459550.html Fotopic Image] of Tyne and Wear Omnibus Company livery on an Iveco minibus
^ Fotopic Image of a Welcome minibus (behind a 100 shuttle
^ Fotopic Image of a FareSaver branded Atlantean
^ Fotopic Image of a FareSaver branded Olympian
^ Fotopic Image of a FareSaver branded single-deck bus
^ Fotopic image of a 100 livery
^ Fotopic image of a 100 livery
^ Fotopic Image of a blue riband liveried bus]
^ Fotopic Image of the Scania Green Machine
^ Fotopic Image of the Lynx Green Machine
^ Fotopic Image of Armstrong Galley coaches livery
^ Image of a Clipper coach

External links
MMC report detailing the history of Busways
Bus Company purchasing records web site
Busways Atlantean 111 Restoration Group
Bristol Commercial Vehicle Enthusiasts Busways LH and RE fleet list
[6] A website detailing Busways South Shields operations
[7] Fotopic site with Busways images
[8] Fotopic site with Busways images
[9] Fotopic site with Busways images
[10] Fotopic site with Busways images
[11] Fotopic site with Busways images
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busways_Travel_Services_Ltd."
Categories: Bus operating companies | Transport in Tyne and Wear

I think it's kind of funny that about [[Wikipedia Review]], he says, "...recreation will merely waste the reader's time in establishing they have read all noteworthy information at the previous article. (Unless it is the mission of wikipedia to document the email registration policies of WR or such like)."

But about Busways Travel Services, he says, "...Blue Bus Services wore dark blue and white liveries, with yellow fleet names. Other buses wore a lighter blue colour scheme. Favourite buses wore a white upper, dark orange midline and a brown skirt, with brown fleet names."

Oh, yeah, I implicitly trust this guy. No doubt he's just a new user who happened to pick up on Wikipedia really adeptly.

Greg

LaraLove
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 2:40pm) *

User:MickMacNee has written a lengthy defense of the [[Wikipedia Review]] article staying dead and redirected.

I looked into this guy's contributions, and I find it highly suspicious that someone who would criticize the "general notability" of Wikipedia Review would have made his very SECOND Wikipedia edit ever to create this article:

[snip]

I think it's kind of funny that about [[Wikipedia Review]], he says, "...recreation will merely waste the reader's time in establishing they have read all noteworthy information at the previous article. (Unless it is the mission of wikipedia to document the email registration policies of WR or such like)."

But about Busways Travel Services, he says, "...Blue Bus Services wore dark blue and white liveries, with yellow fleet names. Other buses wore a lighter blue colour scheme. Favourite buses wore a white upper, dark orange midline and a brown skirt, with brown fleet names."

Oh, yeah, I implicitly trust this guy. No doubt he's just a new user who happened to pick up on Wikipedia really adeptly.

Greg

I had extensive dealings with this guy during the Betacommand Era of 2008. dry.gif Check his block log.
thekohser
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 2:46pm) *

I had extensive dealings with this guy during the Betacommand Era of 2008. dry.gif Check his block log.

Wow, there was an extensive edit war over whether the Swansea Metro is a rail-based or a bus-based transit system.

Dang, and I thought getting blocked for doing battle with those saying Wikia wasn't related to the Wikimedia Foundation was silly!
Poetlister
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 7:53pm) *

Wow, there was an extensive edit war over whether the Swansea Metro is a rail-based or a bus-based transit system.

My old boss at the Department for Transport would have told them off. It's a guided bus.
Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 2nd July 2008, 2:40pm) *

But about Busways Travel Services, he says, "… Blue Bus Services wore dark blue and white liveries, with yellow fleet names. Other buses wore a lighter blue colour scheme. Favourite buses wore a white upper, dark orange midline and a brown skirt, with brown fleet names."

Greg

Never Trust An Orange Bus

Jon cool.gif
Moulton
Dollars to donuts he's an Aspie.
SomeRandomAdmin
No, Mick is just some random fuckwit. I'm surprised he managed to string most of those sentences together, to be honest. His numerous spats with BetaCommand were worth the price of admission, though (in which he managed to confirm not only his ignorance of WikiPolicy, but also copyright law and the GFDL!)
cyofee
I thought it was JzG before I saw he started editing in 2007.
SomeRandomAdmin
QUOTE(cyofee @ Fri 4th July 2008, 12:58am) *

I thought it was JzG before I saw he started editing in 2007.

Outrageous slur on JzG. At least he knew his arse from his elbow. Mick's geography doesn't even include that.
Giggy
Some of the arguments in that DRV are among the worst I've ever seen...
cyofee
Someone should really point out that (for a miniscule example) Will Beback can't be considered to have an opinion based on arguments, as this site calls him a "stalker extraordinaire".
Giggy
Someone said that under Will's "keep deleted" vote.
prospero
QUOTE(SomeRandomAdmin @ Thu 3rd July 2008, 7:52pm) *

No, Mick is just some random fuckwit. I'm surprised he managed to string most of those sentences together, to be honest. His numerous spats with BetaCommand were worth the price of admission, though (in which he managed to confirm not only his ignorance of WikiPolicy, but also copyright law and the GFDL!)

Somebody had to take on BetaCommand's excesses. I think that after the {{DEFAULTSORTS}} incident, it was clear that BetaCommand was both too arrogant and too incompetent to be operating destructive bots. Maybe MMN compounded the problem, I don't know. I can understand his frustrations, since Beta and others keep moving the goalposts on fairuse and other criteria. I would also add that MMN was correct in feeling that a deleting administrator should be responsible for making good faith efforts to fix an image's problems before resorting to deletion.
CrazyGameOfPoker
Mick was kind of like, I don't know, maybe the John254 if Beta was ARBCOM.

Maybe not, but it's rare that you have a user with such an Ahab like persona...perhaps Giano, but Giano tends to be ultimately correct in the end in most conflict. Mick...not so much. If there was any debate regarding Beta on AN or ANI, Mick would show up and vehemently argue against Beta in any case, even the ones where he was in the wrong. Heck, even in most of the issues that Mick had some correct point, he lost any favor by continuing to argue and attack, when it really wasn't helping resolution.

The only reason he's not banned is because in order to actually deal with Betacommand effectively, they had to put up a giant electric fence as a sanction preventing Mick from addressing beta in general.
Proabivouac
QUOTE(Giggy @ Fri 4th July 2008, 12:36am) *

Some of the arguments in that DRV are among the worst I've ever seen...

Some are outright lies:
QUOTE(Raul654)

Keep deleted - site for banned users and their surrogates to harass users in good standing. Not to mention it's navel gazing and a non-notable website. Raul654 (talk) 22:08, 1 July 2008

First, criticism, even relentlessly mean-spirited and unjustified criticism, does not equal "harassment." Perhaps "defamation" was what Raul had in mind? It appears that long-term exposure to Wikipedia erodes literacy.

Second, how does wiki status have anything to do with morality, as is implicit in his claim? If users in good standing were to "harass" banned ones, would that be any better?

Finally, Wikipedia is full of articles, sometimes quite glowing articles, on repugnant subjects, such as bestiality, pederasty, etc. Arbitrators aren't just okay with these: they write them. Arbitrator pro-bestiality? No big deal, call off your old tired ethics.â„¢ Now posting to the Wikipedia Riview, that's beyond the pale. (and I suppose I've just "harassed" the leadership with that remark?)

QUOTE(SomeRandomAdmin @ Fri 4th July 2008, 12:00am) *

Outrageous slur on JzG. At least he knew his arse from his elbow.

{{citation needed}}
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.