Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a boycott of Wikimania 2008?
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
thekohser
A speculative piece found in the Los Angeles Times, July 11, 2008.

Danny Wool and Gregory Kohs in the Comments zone!

(Fun for everyone.)
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 11th July 2008, 10:23am) *

A speculative piece found in the Los Angeles Times, July 11, 2008.

Danny Wool and Gregory Kohs in the Comments zone!

(Fun for everyone.)

Not to defend the Egyptian state or anything but the premise of the article seems to be that Alexandria isn't good enough for Wikipedia? I think that given the intolerance and bigotry "The Wikipedia Community" showed Muslims in relation to the petition concerning images of Muhammad that the article might have completely misjudged the nature of the miscalculation that the site selection represents.
LaraLove
I think it has very little to do with boycotting, and pretty much everything to do with finances. I agree with the concerns though, but I doubt there are a lot people staying home that would have gone if it was being held in like France or Spain, for example, for the same price.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Fri 11th July 2008, 11:08am) *

I think it has very little to do with boycotting, and pretty much everything to do with finances. I agree with the concerns though, but I doubt there are a lot people staying home that would have gone if it was being held in like France or Spain, for example, for the same price.

That's true, but there are large French and Spanish contingents at es and fr. ar Only has 64,000 articles. Holding Wikimania in a place with few Wikipedians doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Dzonatas
http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ta...the_internet.3F
"Book censorship is spreading in Egypt now that numerous self-appointed authorities have received the absolute right to ban, sue or destroy a book for so-called religious and security reasons." ... 'What these government and religious bodies exercise regarding literary work is a form of thuggery,' said Mohammed Hashem, owner of a local publishing house." Book censorship spreading in Egypt

IPB Image
Crestatus
Maybe they are having Wikimania in Egypt due to some pyramid scheme?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Crestatus @ Tue 5th August 2008, 4:03pm) *

Maybe they are having Wikimania in Egypt due to some pyramid scheme?

biggrin.gif Very good. And in a way true, I think. The scheme is to see the damn things at company expense, instead of traveling to a Wikimania with scenery that sucks, like Lincoln, Nebraska.

As for the state of civil and individual rights in Egypt, and respect for learning there, forget it. Wikipedia couldn't care less.

Next time I suggest the Netherlands. It's politically free, safe to visit, and has great vending machines. Most of the crew can smoke really good grass to their hearts' content, and there are plenty of legal brothels for Jimmy. What more can you ask?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Fri 11th July 2008, 12:28pm) *

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Fri 11th July 2008, 11:08am) *

That's true, but there are large French and Spanish contingents at es and fr. ar Only has 64,000 articles. Holding Wikimania in a place with few Wikipedians doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Mirrors the general tenor of the place. Did you know Israel publishes 10 times the number of books per year as Egypt, yet has only 10% the population? WP isn't going to help a systemic problem like THAT. That's a from-the-ground-up attitude problem, as suggested by other posts in this thread.

For all my complaining about the Israeli bias on en:WP, a lot of it is bound to be totally systemic, and not due to some nefarious CAMERA project. You've got a people who speak English and love books and learning. That's bound to have a huge effect on a project like en:Wikipedia, even if there wasn't a biased bastard among them. As for the ar. Arabic Wikipeida, well, those guys are just going to have to get their noses out of the Quran and get with the program of the world. If China can do it (they now have more English speakers than the US does), then Egypt can, too.

mad.gif
Vicky
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 5th August 2008, 11:14pm) *

Next time I suggest the Netherlands. It's politically free, safe to visit, and has great vending machines.

Don't they have Islamic fundamentalists who shoot anti-Muslim politicians?

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 5th August 2008, 11:26pm) *

Did you know Israel publishes 10 times the number of books per year as Egypt, yet has only 10% the population?

And probably more university-educated women.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Wed 6th August 2008, 1:46am) *

Next time I suggest the Netherlands. It's politically free, safe to visit, and has great vending machines.

Yeah, but remember Egypt has Islamic fundamentalists who shoot Muslim politicians! (Sadat)
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 6th August 2008, 5:30pm) *

QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Wed 6th August 2008, 1:46am) *

Yeah, but remember Egypt has Islamic fundamentalists who shoot Muslim politicians! (Sadat)

You know The Pyramid Scheme Conference is over, right? Nothing worse than a couple of cab drivers receiving insufficient gratuities occurred. Can we stop with the bigotry now?
Disillusioned Lackey
QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Wed 6th August 2008, 2:46am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 5th August 2008, 11:26pm) *

Did you know Israel publishes 10 times the number of books per year as Egypt, yet has only 10% the population?

And probably more university-educated women.

Egypt's relatively better for women's rights than some others in the neighborhood.

Lots of women working in the private sector and government. Powerful ones too.

QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Wed 6th August 2008, 2:46am) *

Yes. I much prefer countries where there's more people happy to shoot you for your wallet. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.