Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia takes away instant edits - The Industry Standard
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed

•Wikipedia takes away instant edits
The Industry Standard, CA -45 minutes ago
Wikipedia announced its instant and unchecked editing abilities might finally be reigned in at Wikimania 2008. According to the NYTimes Bits Blog, ...

View the article
SirFozzie
Ah yes, Stable Versions pops up,again. It's supposed to have been coming "Real Soon Now" for a while. As an admin, I'll believe it when I see it, and not a moment sooner.
dtobias
The media has announced on many occasions, as a piece of hot breaking news, that Wikipedia's "anyone can edit and it shows up right away" feature has been finally abolished!!!! Film at 11!!!! Usually it turns out to be a fairly distorted awareness of some actual or proposed change such as the introduction of semiprotection, or even just an offhand remark by Jimbo in the middle of a speech that has no relation to any actual Wikipedia change.
Kelly Martin
Ah, it must be Wikimania time again. This is a perennial topic, in that it comes up once a year, during Wikimania. smile.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Fri 18th July 2008, 2:56pm) *

Ah yes, Stable Versions pops up,again. It's supposed to have been coming "Real Soon Now" for a while. As an admin, I'll believe it when I see it, and not a moment sooner.

You can't trust the news, of course. Despite the fact that "high end" news outlets are "reliable and verifiable" according to WP:V and WP:RS tongue.gif

But, if the news is right, this goes beyond stable versions into something that amounts to sprotection of all articles:

Wikipedia has announced its instant and unchecked editing abilities might finally be reined in. According to the NYTimes Bits Blog, Wikipedia is demoing a new editing system, which will use community editors to approve changes before they are posted. Users who are registered with Wikipedia will be able to see unapproved changes, while surfers not logged in will only see approved edits.

Which is something that many of us pushed for years, only to be shunted off to the perennial proposals site, where we were told the IP editors were the backbone of WP, and would all quit, en mass, if forced to register. Yes they would. Really! ohmy.gif It's been scientifically proven. ph34r.gif Or not. wink.gif

So now they're demo-ing a system which they're going to try in Germany (very approrpriate) where IP editors don't get to make instant changes?? biggrin.gif

You know, this would all be funny if it weren't for those of us who've been told that we're stupid, stupid, stupid, to suggest this, for all of this time mad.gif Stupid. Unwikipedian.

But, who knows. You can't trust the news. We'll see what they finally beta-test. wacko.gif

SirFozzie
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 18th July 2008, 8:30pm) *

But, who knows. You can't trust the news. We'll see what they finally beta-test. wacko.gif

I would prefer saying IF they finally beta-test myself wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.