Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Daily Mirror football journalist caught out by Wikipedia - The Spoiler
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed

•Daily Mirror football journalist caught out by Wikipedia
The Spoiler, UK -29 minutes ago
Ahead of Manchester City’s UEFA Cup tie with Omonia Nicosia, the first port of call for information on the Cypriot club would have been Wikipedia. ...

View the article
thekohser
Another case of Wikipedia showing us that IP editors are an important part of "always improving" the encyclopedia.

The IP edit in question:

A small but loyal group of fans are lovingly called "The Zany Ones" - they like to wear hats made from discarded shoes and have a song about a little potato.

...entered on the morning of August 29th, 2008.

And fixed on the afternoon of September 18th by a registered User.

Here's the part I love... the Henrik-o-Meter suggests that at least 10,000 souls looked at that Wikipedia article while the offending error was plunked in there. Even on a SLOW day, it was getting more than 300 page views.

Yes, Wikipedia is better than traditional encyclopedias because references printed on paper can't be "quickly" corrected like this.

Of course, printed references typically do not have anonymous idiots writing them!

Here ends the lesson.

Greg

House of Cards
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 19th September 2008, 3:05pm) *

The IP edit in question:

...is also the same IP as the one who today created a section in the AC Omonia article, describing this deception.

At least this second edit is factual.
thekohser
QUOTE(House of Cards @ Fri 19th September 2008, 10:20am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 19th September 2008, 3:05pm) *

The IP edit in question:

...is also the same IP as the one who today created a section in the AC Omonia article, describing this deception.

At least this second edit is factual.

Now THAT is something quite interesting. We have a joker on the RIPE network at the University of Manchester who put in nonsense, saw that his vandalism was reported in the media, then goes back in to document his success.

And there is a HISTORY of apparent toying around with Wikipedia, but they've only blocked the IP once, for only 24 hours.

If I go onto Jimbo's talk page and ask him about the thousands of links to Wikia, my IP gets banned indefinitely.

I love Wikipedia!
thekohser
There's a little more to this story, regarding the prankster.

Mods, might we move this to the "worth reading" folder?
The Joy
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 19th September 2008, 4:26pm) *

There's a little more to this story, regarding the prankster.

Mods, might we move this to the "worth reading" folder?

Done!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.