Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jimmy Wales: Make your brand authentic
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
thekohser
You'll probably not be able to read past the lede:

Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales is a big believer in authenticity, so much so that he mentioned it over a dozen times during an on-stage interview as part of Advertising Week.
dtobias
Authenticity is the key thing... if you can fake it, you've got it made! laugh.gif
wikiwhistle
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 24th September 2008, 2:35am) *

You'll probably not be able to read past the lede:

Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales is a big believer in authenticity, so much so that he mentioned it over a dozen times during an on-stage interview as part of Advertising Week.

I wonder if he ever took the Landmark forum courses, as I think they make a big buzzword of that.
Somey
The fact that he's using the Transformers Wikia site as his primary example is extremely suggestive, isn't it? Not to mention this quote:

The question becomes, how can people come together to build something rather than a message board where people endlessly argue and debate?

...conveniently ignoring all the zillions of other user-participatory content-generation models that are out there, such as group blogs, CMS's, e-Commerce product-review systems ...

It almost sounds like he's been spending way too much time here on WR, doesn't it?
thekohser
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 23rd September 2008, 11:34pm) *

The fact that he's using the Transformers Wikia site as his primary example is extremely suggestive, isn't it?

Yes, I wonder if Don Murphy will see that, and what would be his reaction?
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 24th September 2008, 6:43am) *
Yes, I wonder if Don Murphy will see that, and what would be his reaction?

Probably some combination of the following:
1. fuck
2. cultist
3. I have no reason to care about what you think.
Somey
QUOTE(sarcasticidealist @ Wed 24th September 2008, 1:56pm) *
Probably some combination of the following:
1. fuck
2. cultist
3. I have no reason to care about what you think.

I suspect Jimbo knows that this is his likely reaction, and he's trying to establish some sort of victimization rationale for himself... It's also possible that he takes Murphy's plan to make a horror-thriller movie based on the WP story seriously, and wants to build the case for his own victimization well in advance.

I gather that the high concept for the film is sort of Children of the Corn meets You've Got Mail?
MrM
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, especially since the Transformers wiki just left wikia because of their intrusive advertising.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(MrM @ Wed 24th September 2008, 1:39pm) *

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, especially since the Transformers wiki just left wikia because of their intrusive advertising.

I knew the transformers community had more class than to compromise their scholarship with crass commercial exploitation. Uhhmm....we are talking about the changeling toys, right? Not Lou Reed types?
Somey
QUOTE(MrM @ Wed 24th September 2008, 2:39pm) *

They've got a sitenotice up that says "A new server has been set up for tfwiki.net and some of the community have moved to that wiki. You are welcome to edit there, or to continue to edit here. This wiki will remain open, and we are now discussing its future."

The new wiki is definitely more active at the moment, though the old (Wikia) one is still getting about 40-50 edits a day, which isn't bad for a Wikia site... Some of the discussion is going on here, apparently:
http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Transfo...ommunity_Portal

It also occurs to me that Jimbo's claims in the article about the benefits of the wiki to the "Transformers franchise" are largely bogus:
Wales touted the site built by fans for the DreamWorks movie Transformers. It now has 6,000 pages of content and has generated the equivalent of 20 million free impressions for the toy and movie franchise. ... "They're actually going out and selling the brand," he said. "It's very different from the top-down broadcast-style marketing."

...and later:
There are a lot of lessons coming out of Wikia. It's where we're seeing communities being built around brands that are very intense. In my presentation, I'm going to talk about the Transformers community. It was created in anticipation of the movie. The community went completely bonkers over this. They built some 6,000 pages of content about the movie, the toys, every aspect of the franchise. What you're seeing is, the traffic continues to grow even though the movie has come and gone. The franchise is benefiting from this kind of community engagement.

The wiki is clearly about the entire Transformers "universe," not just the movie and the toy business. That universe includes all sorts of things, like novels, comic books, games, TV cartoons, and so on, not to mention fan-fiction. (Minor quibble, though.)

The key statement is "they're actually going out and selling the brand," which he's basing on... what, exactly? It seems to me that the people participating in the wiki are committed, hardcore Transformers fans and enthusiasts. There's an equally valid argument that having such a group all in one place makes it more difficult for an entertainment franchise to grow, since the fans feel more entitled to influence the direction it takes. In other words, there's this fear that if you make Transformers II without resurrecting Megatron, the core fan-base is going to boycott the movie, not to mention bad-mouth the producers (which, of course, is what happened with the original movie, all because of... what, exactly? Does anyone even know?)...

In any event, they're not "going out and selling the brand" so much as they're trying to create a centralized information source under the control of a limited number of people. Which in turn (as we've seen so many times with Wikipedia) can draw traffic away from other sites that may be more creative or interesting, either in spite of or because of their not carrying a lot of user-generated content.

And sure enough, at the moment, there's only one page in the "Websites" category at tfwiki.net. The Wikia site doesn't have such a category at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.