Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia Hopes To Make Editing User-Friendly - CBS 11
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed

•Wikipedia Hopes To Make Editing User-Friendly
CBS 11, TX -59 minutes ago
NEW YORK (AP) ― Concerned that many would-be contributors to Wikipedia are being scared away, the foundation that runs the Internet encyclopedia is getting ...

View the article
Heat
Is there any way for the RSS feed to filter out duplicates of the same story?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Heat @ Thu 4th December 2008, 9:14am) *

Apparently not. Being reminded again and again and again that WP just scored $890,000 to figure out ways to make itself not suck, and is going to spending it finding easier edit user-interfaces, is WR's special hell.

I would like a drop-down menu for inserting helpful text in TALK-space and edit summaries, though. "See WP:WIKISPEAK" has been mentioned. Also "I'm blocking you indefinitely. Please go with love" would be helpful (but disabled for IP-blocking, of course). As also "You are becoming unWP:CIVIL," for those losing reasoned arguments.

And just to complete things, LaraLove's "Where's my RfC for saying FUCK?" should be enshrined, and repeated as often as possible.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 4th December 2008, 12:54pm) *

QUOTE(Heat @ Thu 4th December 2008, 9:14am) *

Apparently not.

We have a very good volunteer, Cobalt, who has taken on the task manually. I hope he drops by soon.
Newsfeed

•Wikipedia to make editing easier
Scenta.co.uk, UK -21 minutes ago
Wikipedia is to make changes to the site's editing process, in order to try and entice more users to get involved. The online encyclopedia is apparently ...

View the article
Son of a Yeti
It seems the article is not available from my mountain hideout:

This website is temporarily only available for UK residents. If you are a UK resident but still cannot access the site, or are a non-UK resident with a specific reason or need to access the site, please contact admin@scenta.co.uk (ensuring that you do not change the subject of the email).
If you do not click the above link then please quote the following reference in your email: xxxxxxxxxx (censored to avoid detection by big bad WP admins - Yeti Jr.)
Your access request will be processed as soon as possible and you will receive a response by email.

The Wales Hunter
Here you go:

Wikipedia is to make changes to the site's editing process, in order to try and entice more users to get involved.

The online encyclopedia is apparently concerned that many would-be contributors are being scared away by the HTML coding that is presented to them when they click the "edit" button.

The foundation that runs Wikipedia is getting an $890,000 grant from the Stanton Foundation to try to make the editing process more user-friendly.

"Wikipedia attracts writers who have a moderate-to-high level of technical understanding, but it excludes lots of smart, knowledgeable people who are less tech-centric", said Sue Gardner, the Wikimedia Foundation's executive director.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Son of a Yeti @ Fri 5th December 2008, 8:48am) *

It seems the article is not available from my mountain hideout:

This website is temporarily only available for UK residents. If you are a UK resident but still cannot access the site, or are a non-UK resident with a specific reason or need to access the site, please contact admin@scenta.co.uk (ensuring that you do not change the subject of the email).
If you do not click the above link then please quote the following reference in your email: xxxxxxxxxx (censored to avoid detection by big bad WP admins - Yeti Jr.)
Your access request will be processed as soon as possible and you will receive a response by email.

Why would they bother to do this?
One
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 5th December 2008, 2:02pm) *

I would guess it's because advertisers are paying for Brits, and therefore slashdotting would not help their bottom line. By the time the story ages, the risk of viral linking has disappeared, so they won't risk spending server capacity on it.
Son of a Yeti
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 5th December 2008, 7:02am) *

No idea. Total cluelessness?

It's the same even on their main page and with no reference info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.