Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Akahele - Anthony DiPierro
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
Kato
http://akahele.org/2009/04/the-nature-of-collaboration/

QUOTE(Anthony DiPierro)
In my last post I wrote that the Internet is amazing. It is. Moreover, and before that, I would say that the personal computer is one of the great inventions of our time. However, those who know me well may recall that I’ve been known to make the comment that “I hate the Internet” or that “I hate computers”.
Moulton
QUOTE(Anthony DiPierro @ Akahele)
Almost all if not all of the great software projects, even in the open source world, were created by very small numbers of individuals. In most cases only a single individual was in charge of the design, and in those cases where more than one was in charge I’d argue that the project failed to reach its full potential as a result. Dave Hyatt and Blake Ross created Firefox. Apache was created by Robert McCool. Michael Widenius wrote the majority of the first version of MySQL. Steve Wozniak built the Apple computer and wrote the operating system for it. In the Website world, Larry Page and Sergey Brin created Google.

And Tim Berners-Lee, who lives down the road from me, invented the World Wide Web.

I met Steve Wozniak at MIT when he participated in a panel discussion on the launch of a book celebrating invention and innovation.

After the panel session was over, and we had a few minutes to schmooze with the panelists, I went up to Steve Wozniak and remarked, “The smartest thing you ever did, when you designed the Apple Computer, is that you left out the Amygdala.”

He gave me a quizzical look.

“That’s the Fear Processor,” I explained. The Apple Computer has a Buddha Nature because you can’t intimidate it.

He brightened up as he absorbed the point of my remark. Wozniak had imbued his own invention with a key trait of fearless inventors like himself. He had given it a Buddha Nature.

There is no way to bully an Apple Computer, for it has no fear, carries no grudges, and has no motivation for revenge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.