Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Jimbo jetting to Bulgaria for a "date"?
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
Another long-haired brunette, this one named Iskra Angelova. She invited Jimbo to pop on over to Bulgaria to take in a show.

Hubba, hubba, Jimbo!

Whoops! RANDROID ALERT!
Somey
Right-Aligned ImageHey, check it out - no wedding ring!

I have to admit, she looks pretty good for someone who's just been through a long day of defending the nation against hordes of marauding Turks.
Kato
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 28th April 2009, 4:08pm) *

Hey, check it out - no wedding ring!

No, no. That thing she's holding is a Bulgarian Matrimony Symbol. The whole ceremony is conducted in this fashion.
Obesity
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 28th April 2009, 11:13am) *

No, no. That thing she's holding is a Bulgarian Matrimony Symbol. The whole ceremony is conducted in this fashion.

O RLY? Maybe they'll play some Bulgarian wedding music:

Those people are insane, playing all of their folk dances in 17/8 or some other godawful, fucked up time signature. Hey Bulgarians: it's a wedding, not a Genesis or Tool concert!
Son of a Yeti
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 28th April 2009, 8:08am) *

If you read Wikipedia you would know that in the Orthodox countries (except for Romania for some reason) they wear the ring on their right hand. Bulgaria is Orthodox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_ring#...wedding_customs

In other countries such as Colombia, Germany, Greece, Mexico, Norway, Peru, Poland, Russia, Spain (except in catalonia), Ukraine, Venezuela and Serbia, however, it is worn on the right hand. Orthodox Christians and Eastern Europeans (except for the Romanians) also traditionally wear the wedding band on the right hand.
Obesity
QUOTE(Obesity @ Tue 28th April 2009, 12:26pm) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 28th April 2009, 11:13am) *

O RLY? Maybe they'll play some Bulgarian wedding music:

Those people are insane, playing all of their folk dances in 17/8 or some other godawful, fucked up time signature. Hey Bulgarians: it's a wedding, not a Genesis or Tool concert!

Also, don't get me started on Bulgarian grammar.... according to our trusty online encyclopedia, Bulgarian verbs "are inflected for person, number and sometimes gender. They also have ..... nine tenses, five moods and six non-finite verbal forms"

dizzy.gif

Like their wedding music, why do they have to make everything so insufferably complicated?
cyofee
The more complicated it is, the more information it carries. English is very easy to learn (when you get over the spelling), but one can express himself more precisely in Bulgarian, which is extremely similar to my native Serbian, than in English.

As for the wedding music/dance, I don't think that's actually used for weddings today. It was a wedding dance some hundreds of years ago, it's still called that way, but it's only used for performances, for obvious reasons.

Funfact: Iskra means spark.
Son of a Yeti
QUOTE(cyofee @ Tue 28th April 2009, 10:00am) *

<stupid_joke>
Does that make Jimbo a spark plug?
</stupid_joke>

evilgrin.gif
cyofee
Well, he certainly may plug something...
Somey
QUOTE(cyofee @ Tue 28th April 2009, 12:00pm) *

Sparky! smile.gif

So if they wear the ring on their right hands, maybe Jimbo doesn't know she's married? That could get awkward.

I should say, Ms. Angelova is currently a red link on Wikipedia's List of Bulgarian actors and actresses (T-H-L-K-D). I have a feeling that this could get ugly, very quickly...
Cla68
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 28th April 2009, 1:40pm) *
Whoops! RANDROID ALERT!

Perhaps being a Randian will soon replace Scientology as the "in" thing for entertainment figures to belong to.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 28th April 2009, 12:21pm) *
So if they wear the ring on their right hands, maybe Jimbo doesn't know she's married?
Do you honestly believe Jimbo cares if she's married?
Kato
QUOTE(Obesity @ Tue 28th April 2009, 5:26pm) *

I used to listen to a bit of traditional Bulgarian folk singing back when it was hip (I'm serious). It's one of the most unique and sublime sounds on the planet.

Here's a traditional Bulgarian wedding scene set to Bulgarian folk singing.

Random832
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 29th April 2009, 3:47am) *
Perhaps being a Randian will soon replace Scientology as the "in" thing for entertainment figures to belong to.

Maybe then we can get a south park episode with the caption "THIS IS WHAT OBJECTIVISTS ACTUALLY BELIEVE"
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 29th April 2009, 3:28pm) *

Here's a traditional Bulgarian wedding scene set to Bulgarian folk singing.

That is pretty cool and unexpected. Now why don't we get that sort of thing in the ever-geographically expanding Eurovision Song Contest?

(It was also very unexpected as my wife went to Bulgaria skiing some 20 years ago and came back with a large hangover from the free wine and a single of Snowy Whitey Happy Singy Lovely Bulgaria which until just now I had expunged from my mind.

I may just encode it and upload it as punishment to you all. I know you deserve it.)
thekohser
The amateur video of Jimbo's Bulgaria lecture (and a lengthy Q&A sessioni) are published.

If you, like me, can't take the 90 minutes to watch all of this, I caught a screen capture of Jimbo's lecture notes, which sums up what he talked about. Jimbo's notes are very helpful and concise.
thekohser
Ooh ooo ooh! Special treat for insiders!

See 5:45 in video clip #2. Guess who's surfing the crowd and holding the microphone for audience members to ask question of Der Jimbo?

Hint: she's a brunette, and she's good with a crossbow!
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 11th June 2009, 3:36pm) *

See 5:45 in video clip #2. Guess who's surfing the crowd and holding the microphone for audience members to ask question of Der Jimbo?

It looks like he is doing one of those variety acts where you have a black stage, black props, black clothes and then do something nasty to music.

You made me listen to a crap question, damn you!
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 28th April 2009, 9:40am) *

Another long-haired brunette, this one named Iskra Angelova. She invited Jimbo to pop on over to Bulgaria to take in a show.

Hubba, hubba, Jimbo!

Whoops! RANDROID ALERT!

Personally, I think Jon and Kate are more interesting. yecch.gif
Krimpet
QUOTE(Random832 @ Wed 29th April 2009, 11:11am) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 29th April 2009, 3:47am) *

Maybe then we can get a south park episode with the caption "THIS IS WHAT OBJECTIVISTS ACTUALLY BELIEVE"

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/150385
LessHorrid vanU
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 11th June 2009, 3:36pm) *

I still think the Free World method of using a microphone boom is preferable.
Kato
QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 28th April 2009, 2:40pm) *

Hubba, hubba, Jimbo!

Whoops! RANDROID ALERT!

Taken from another thread...

It turns out that Jimbo's Bulgarian / Randian contact, Iskra Angelova, was linked to a nepotistic incident on the Bulgarian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire back in 2002. And that fact was in the WP article about the show. So we'll see how long that lasts.

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 15th June 2009, 1:37pm) *

Today's interesting factoid comes from [[Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Bulgarian game show)]]:
On 13 June, 2002 Asen Angelov answered all the 15 questions. However, he had to return the big prize (100 000 leva), as it turned out that his daughter Iskra Angelova was a host of a morning show aired on Nova Television, which airs Stani bogat, too, which is against the rules. However, Asen Angelov is still the only winner of the show.

Edit war anyone?
sbrown
Anyone here read Bulgarian well enough to see how this is handled on the Bulgarian WP? Seems not to be mentioned on the Czech one but thats scarcely surprising as they often dont know Bulgaria exists.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.