Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia Founder Thrashes Wikipediaart. ...
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in the Media
Newsfeed

•• Wikipedia Founder Thrashes Wikipediaart.org; Alleges Trolling
Institute of International Trade, India
Wikimedia Foundation, the parent company of Wikipedia, had demanded that the artists of Wikipediaart.org turn over control of the domain to Wikimedia. The Electronic Frontier Foundation on behalf of the creators of Wikipediaart.org, a site dedicated to ...

View the article
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Newsfeed @ Mon 4th May 2009, 10:21am) *

Wikimedia Foundation, the parent company of Wikipedia, had demanded that the artists of Wikipediaart.org turn over control of the domain to Wikimedia. The Electronic Frontier Foundation on behalf of the creators of Wikipediaart.org, a site dedicated to ...

View the article

I have asked for confirmation from Jimbo that he was quoted in context. I'm hoping that he was quoted out of context, but this campaign to frame Kildall and Stein as "trouble-making trolls" is really getting out of hand. What ever happened to NPOV?
LaraLove
I doubt he's been quoted out of context, but then I agree with what he's quoted as saying, so...
the fieryangel
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Mon 4th May 2009, 12:13pm) *

I doubt he's been quoted out of context, but then I agree with what he's quoted as saying, so...

Well, that's one position that one can have...but should the "founder" of Wikipedia be calling people names in public and making judgments about their intentions, without having had any communication with them?

Jon Awbrey
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 4th May 2009, 8:22am) *

Well, that's one position that one can have...but should the "founder" of Wikipedia be calling people names in public and making judgments about their intentions, without having had any communication with them?

Once again, the question is — In what capacity does Jimmy Wales express his opinion, however childishly he habitually expresses it?

Is he speaking as the Spiritual Leader of a cult, er, community?

Surely he's not expressing some kind of Editorial POV that he would have us consider more equal than any other editor — y'know, an editorial judgment of the order that might suggest any hint of accepting the responsibilities of bona fide publisher?

So it's all just one more atom of hot air in a mass of hyper-heated gas, right?

Not one bit more significant than the e-pinion of you or me or the next Anonymous IP #Skull, right?

Jon Awbrey
thekohser
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 4th May 2009, 8:22am) *

In my experience, when Jimmy Wales gives praise to one of his "trusted" admins (and the secret private mailing lists they maintain), or says he's "cranking away" on a project, or says he doesn't "really have a problem with" something... it's soon found that whatever or whomever he's lauded has self-destructed in a whimper of fail.

Conversely, when he calls a freelance journalist "an idiot", or rages on about things being "antithetical" to Wikipedia, or decrees that "some people need to find a different hobby"... it eventually is shown that those people are more stable, intelligent, and long-lasting than Wales himself could have ever imagined.

Regardless of how you view what the Wikipedia Art guys were doing, or why, to have Jimbo's pronouncement that they are "vandals" and "trolls" can only lend credit to whatever it was they were doing.

Greg
emesee
yeah! huh.gif so is labeling someone as trolling, just another form of trolling? ohmy.gif
Milton Roe
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 4th May 2009, 4:29am) *

QUOTE(Newsfeed @ Mon 4th May 2009, 10:21am) *

View the article

I have asked for confirmation from Jimbo that he was quoted in context. I'm hoping that he was quoted out of context, but this campaign to frame Kildall and Stein as "trouble-making trolls" is really getting out of hand. What ever happened to NPOV?

NPOV doesn't apply to Wiki-politics or WP-policies, but AGF is supposed to.

I guess what this amounts to is the question of whether Jimbo is just ventolating his off-the-cuff personal opinion--- or whether he is acting as official prophet, and speaking ex cathedra as the Voice of God. Or, erm, at least as Voice of Officially and Objectively Correct Reason at WMF, with due contextural certainty. ermm.gif

Universe Daily
Jimmy Wails a lot doesn't he. Seems a bit of a hypocrite to me. After all the charactor assasination he has allowed at his sleazy wikipedia site he has no cause to complain about other peoples sites. If his pet admins hadn't deleted all their hard work and kicked them out of Wikipedia then there wouldn't be a problem.

Think I'll email them for a chat. Sound like interesting people.

I hope Jimmy and his legal eagles take me to court. I'd love that.
laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.