Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia is 19in thickipedia book - The Sun
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed

•Wikipedia is 19in thickipedia book
The Sun, UK
By VINCE SOODIN ONLINE encyclopedia Wikipedia has been turned into a book so jam-packed with information it is a staggering 19 INCHES thick. The bumper book compiled by student Rob Matthews contains 437 featured articles from the popular internet ...

View the article
LaraLove
Slow day news wise, I guess.
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Tue 16th June 2009, 7:58am) *

The guy bound it into one book, so it will be impossible to read. Hasn't he heard of breaking an encyclopedia into, you know, volumes?
LaraLove
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Tue 16th June 2009, 3:14pm) *

The guy bound it into one book, so it will be impossible to read. Hasn't he heard of breaking an encyclopedia into, you know, volumes?

Exactly. But that wouldn't be lulzy, and thus definitely wouldn't make the news... even on such as slow day as today.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Tue 16th June 2009, 8:40pm) *

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Tue 16th June 2009, 3:14pm) *

Exactly. But that wouldn't be lulzy, and thus definitely wouldn't make the news... even on such as slow day as today.

I'm not sure The Sun really qualifies as "news".
LaraLove
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 16th June 2009, 3:55pm) *

Good point.

What about The Telegraph?
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Tue 16th June 2009, 9:19pm) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 16th June 2009, 3:55pm) *

Good point.

What about The Telegraph?

God help us. The Last Remaining Broadsheet Newspaper In The Countryâ„¢ descending to reprinting a press release from an art student?
A User
QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Wed 17th June 2009, 5:14am) *

Is he or the foundation making money out of this venture?
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Newsfeed @ Wed 17th June 2009, 6:59am) *

•Wikipedia turned into a 5000-page, 1ft 7ins thick book
Thaindian.com, Thailand
London, Jun 17 (ANI): Wikipedia, the free online encyclopaedia that anyone can edit, has been turned into a book 5000 pages long and 1ft 7ins thick. Rob Matthews turned the encyclopaedia, written by volunteers, into a book containing 437-featured ...

View the article

This isn't exactly correct: it's just the featured articles, not the whole thing. The artist did this to make people question Wikipedia's use as a reference work. I think that the images found on his site speak for themselves.
sbrown
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Wed 17th June 2009, 8:30am) *

The artist did this to make people question Wikipedia's use as a reference work. I think that the images found on his site speak for themselves.

Reproducing Wikipedia in a dysfunctional physical form helps to question its use as an internet resource. Articles in the book: Wikipedia's featured articles.

I'm comparing the internet Wikipedia to a traditional encyclopedia by putting it in the same format, therefor suggesting that Wikipedia is dysfunctional compared to a normal encyclopedia. This is suggested by how I've conveyed Wikipedia physically. compared to a normal encyclopedia the information is a lot less reliable. I wanted to make a comment on how everyone goes to the internet these days for information, yet it is unreliable compared to what it has replaced.

aeon
It's interesting watching this incredibly meagre news story propagate. Minor and "alternative" media sources were reporting it at least a week ago, and only now is it hitting such publications as The Times.

As an aside, that thick accordion-like tome looks more than 5k pages to me. I'm holding a 1,000 page book in my hand right now, and it doesn't add up.
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(aeon @ Wed 17th June 2009, 2:11pm) *

It's interesting watching this incredibly meagre news story propagate. Minor and "alternative" media sources were reporting it at least a week ago, and only now is it hitting such publications as The Times.

As an aside, that thick accordion-like tome looks more than 5k pages to me. I'm holding a 1,000 page book in my hand right now, and it doesn't add up.

It looks about right in terms of reams of A4 photocopy paper.
quantpole
I just don't get what he's trying to prove. What does printing out a load of articles and making them into a stupid book say about the reliability of wikipedia?
Firsfron of Ronchester
QUOTE(quantpole @ Thu 18th June 2009, 1:20am) *

I just don't get what he's trying to prove. What does printing out a load of articles and making them into a stupid book say about the reliability of wikipedia?

"It's huge, but unreadable... not because of the quality, but because I stupidly bound it all into one volume."
victim of censorship
QUOTE(Newsfeed @ Tue 16th June 2009, 2:55pm) *

•Wikipedia is 19in thickipedia book
The Sun, UK
By VINCE SOODIN ONLINE encyclopedia Wikipedia has been turned into a book so jam-packed with information it is a staggering 19 INCHES thick. The bumper book compiled by student Rob Matthews contains 437 featured articles from the popular internet ...

View the article

If Wikipedia was a 19" book, it would make a good fire starter, in my genuine Weber charcoal briquette fire starter chimney.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.