Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The "Durova dustup" in print
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
thekohser
Apparently there's a new book on sales shelves entitled, Cyberchiefs: Autonomy and authority in online tribes.

There's a whole section that goes into detail on the "Durova dustup", which we covered here.

If a book like Cyberchiefs can be written and sold ($27.01 on Amazon), why not Mimbo Jimbo?

Oh, wait... Sales rank of #937,010 in Books.
JohnA
QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 18th June 2009, 4:00am) *

Oh, wait... Sales rank of #937,010 in Books.

That means it's just flying off the shelves!! laugh.gif
Obesity
http://www.plutobooks.com/

This is one of those "independent, progressive" publishers.

It appears to be a racket for grad students to turn their dissertations into books that no one wants to read.

It is, at least, a marginal step up from those self-publishing entities that will print any old garbage in book form and sell it on Amazon, if you pay them.

The real question is: will it be considered a Reliable Source? unsure.gif
Cla68
QUOTE(Obesity @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 12:51pm) *

http://www.plutobooks.com/

This is one of those "independent, progressive" publishers.

It appears to be a racket for grad students to turn their dissertations into books that no one wants to read.

It is, at least, a marginal step up from those self-publishing entities that will print any old garbage in book form and sell it on Amazon, if you pay them.

The real question is: will it be considered a Reliable Source? unsure.gif

I think that's a reliable source. Perhaps this is an indication that Wikipedia's "secret cabal campaigns" of 2005-2008 are starting to get mentioned in published literature about the project. If so, I suspect that Durova won't be the only editor from that time period who starts getting some press.
jayvdb
QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 22nd June 2009, 1:06pm) *

I think that's a reliable source. Perhaps this is an indication that Wikipedia's "secret cabal campaigns" of 2005-2008 are starting to get mentioned in published literature about the project. If so, I suspect that Durova won't be the only editor from that time period who starts getting some press.

The UK edition is held by only two libraries according to WorldCat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.