Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia kills legendary journalist - Register
> Media Forums > News Worth Discussing
Newsfeed

•Wikipedia kills legendary journalist
Register, UK
By Sarah Bee • Get more from this author Say what you like about Wikipedia, you can't accuse it of lacking tact. Within 48 hours of the untimely death of music journalist Steven Wells, his entry has been summarily marked for deletion on the grounds ...

View the article
Kato
Wow. I didn't hear that Swells had died. unhappy.gif

According to some on WP he wasn't notable, which is pretty weird as he was a really well known journalist. I've been reading his stuff for twenty years and he was a seminal figure - a Lester Bangs of his time.

Typically, and tastelessly, WP managed to screw it up again by bickering over his "notability" hours after news of his death, on the highest ranking article for his name.

Wankers.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Newsfeed @ Thu 25th June 2009, 5:54am) *

•Wikipedia kills legendary journalist
Register, UK
By Sarah Bee • Get more from this author Say what you like about Wikipedia, you can't accuse it of lacking tact. Within 48 hours of the untimely death of music journalist Steven Wells, his entry has been summarily marked for deletion on the grounds ...

View the article

QUOTE(El Reg)

Say what you like about Wikipedia, you can't accuse it of lacking tact. Within 48 hours of the untimely death of music journalist Steven Wells, his entry has been summarily marked for deletion on the grounds that he isn't famous enough.

But this wasn't a problem while he was alive, as he came under the lesser-criteria of BLPs, in which it is understood that semi-notable BLPs can be kept if they are being used to screw someone who cares about it. After they die, like Wells, this game becomes less fun.

sbrown
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 27th June 2009, 9:01am) *

But this wasn't a problem while he was alive, as he came under the lesser-criteria of BLPs, in which it is understood that semi-notable BLPs can be kept if they are being used to screw someone who cares about it. After they die, like Wells, this game becomes less fun.

What were they doing to his bio while he was alive?
Milton Roe
QUOTE(sbrown @ Sat 27th June 2009, 8:58am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 27th June 2009, 9:01am) *

What were they doing to his bio while he was alive?

Keeping it.
EricBarbour
Has anyone noticed that the little shit who started the AFD, one Mikerichi (T-C-L-K-R-D) , has been
criticized before? He/she/it loves to nom articles for deletion--and also loves to
delete criticisms of him/her/it, calling them "personal attacks".

Bonus points: for being repeatedly accused of being a sock.....and deleting said accusations.....
:::Not to mention that when someone comes to my talk page and personally attacks me for no reason (there were 5 first time contributors in that discussion, 1 delete and 4 keeps, so why single out the delete to accuse of sock puppetry?), why am I the one who's accused of being "uncivil?" He came here to attack me and not vice versa. [[User:Mikerichi|Mikerichi]] ([[User talk:Mikerichi#top|talk]]) 10:59, 4 February 2008 (UTC)

I'm gonna blog this. Too funny to pass up.
Piperdown
QUOTE(Kato @ Sat 27th June 2009, 5:35am) *

Wow. I didn't hear that Swells had died. unhappy.gif

According to some on WP he wasn't notable, which is pretty weird as he was a really well known journalist. I've been reading his stuff for twenty years and he was a seminal figure - a Lester Bangs of his time.

Typically, and tastelessly, WP managed to screw it up again by bickering over his "notability" hours after news of his death, on the highest ranking article for his name.

yeah, but is he as notable as Gary Weiss?

LOL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.