Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NYT Expose on JW's manipulation of WP
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Achromatic
Hoisted by their own petard: NYT discusses how they kept the kidnapping of a reporter by the Taliban out of the news, and with the cooperation of JW, off of Wikipedia. Jimbo, like a master car salesman, pulled out the "RS" argument. Never mind that he knew for a fact that the incident had happen, he was able to make sure any references to the kidnapping quickly got swept under the rug. Unsurprisingly, Jimbo didn't want to make the changes himself, but found himself an admin or two to do the dirty work, as well as protect the page any time someone added the information.

Also note the efforts by various people to "smooth" the reporter's WP entry so it would make him seem less of a catch.

Though I have every sympathy for the reporter, some people will learn the hard way, give Jimbo an inch...
Apathetic
being discussed (and by discussed, I mean already off on a tangent in true WR form) at : http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=25090 , but I think that topic should be moved to one of the "Main" forums
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(Achromatic @ Mon 29th June 2009, 3:24pm) *

Hoisted by their own petard: NYT discusses...

Links like these should be accompanied by the full text, or a bug-me-not password or something. That is, if you want any informed feedback.
TungstenCarbide
"Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia"

not a bad article
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.