Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I hate to block and run...
> Wikimedia Discussion > Editors > Notable editors > William Connolley
Rhindle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...d_admin_request

It seems William M. Connelly likes to disappear after he blocks someone.

Part of the issue here, which was also apparently the case with the recent block of ChildofMidnight, is that Connolley seems to regularly make questionable blocks just before going offline for the evening. When the CoM block was questioned, Connolley twice removed a subsection title of a thread on ANI that included his name [51] [52], chastised the editor who started the subsection in a somewhat patronizing way, and then peaced out (no doubt to bed) for 6 1/2 hours whilst his block of CoM was discussed on ANI (and where it was met with significant objection). These problematic blocks, and just as much WMC's response (or lack thereof) to criticism about them, seem to come up with remarkable frequency. It would be nice if an administrator for whom he has some respect, and I'm guessing that is not me, could bring this issue up with WMC on his talk page. --Bigtimepeace | talk | contribs 01:44, 1 July 2009 (UTC)

Another arrogant, above the law admin who believes he has no accountability to no one. I know he's been a frequent topic of this board so here's just another documentation of his behaviour.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Rhindle @ Tue 30th June 2009, 10:17pm) *

Part of the issue here, which was also apparently the case with the recent block of ChildofMidnight, is that Connolley seems to regularly make questionable blocks just before going offline for the evening. When the CoM block was questioned, Connolley twice removed a subsection title of a thread on ANI that included his name [51] [52], chastised the editor who started the subsection in a somewhat patronizing way, and then peaced out (no doubt to bed) for 6 1/2 hours whilst his block of CoM was discussed on ANI (and where it was met with significant objection). These problematic blocks, and just as much WMC's response (or lack thereof) to criticism about them, seem to come up with remarkable frequency. It would be nice if an administrator for whom he has some respect, and I'm guessing that is not me, could bring this issue up with WMC on his talk page. --Bigtimepeace | talk | contribs 01:44, 1 July 2009 (UTC)

Another arrogant, above the law admin who believes he has no accountability to no one. I know he's been a frequent topic of this board so here's just another documentation of his behaviour.

LadyofShallot (who blew the whistle here) used to be Aleta - and I am glad she's calling WMC to task for his crap act. Pity she is so decent as not to unblock despite being "involved" with the case -- and pity we don't see more of her, 'cuz she's a hot chili mama in my book! (Horsey does the happy gallop thinking of Aleta.) evilgrin.gif
Guido den Broeder
QUOTE(Rhindle @ Wed 1st July 2009, 4:17am) *

Well, he does get away with daily dosages of abuse, editwarring on articles that he claims to own, editing other people's talk, random blocks and bans, etc., so apparently he believes right.
CrazyGameOfPoker
Isn't A.K. Nole just Elonka spelled backwards?

This is gonna get interesting quickly.
Tarc
It is a shame that the people getting blocked in these cases are such colossal asshats. So Connolley's bad behavior winds up generating sympathy for the likes of ChildofMidnight, someone who I can assure you is deserving of none. CoM has attracted a blowhard like Caspian Blue to his aggrieved cause as well, so yea, this is proably going to get quit interesting and tangled.

Speaking of Caspian, what are the thoughts on this proposal ? I found it to be a bit of a stretch that being at the same Wikimeet is somehow evidence of collusion/COI.
cyofee
QUOTE(CrazyGameOfPoker @ Wed 1st July 2009, 5:49pm) *

The plot thickens...
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 1st July 2009, 12:26pm) *

It is a shame that the people getting blocked in these cases are such colossal asshats. So Connolley's bad behavior winds up generating sympathy for the likes of ChildofMidnight, someone who I can assure you is deserving of none.

Pity that Billy Mays passed away -- I am sure that he could have sold ChildofMidnight as the savior of the project.

Though even Billy Mays would have problems selling WMC as an intelligent admin.
CharlotteWebb
QUOTE(CrazyGameOfPoker @ Wed 1st July 2009, 3:49pm) *

Well "nole" means head and "AK" means Alaska or Automatic Kalashnikov, but these don't quite seem plausible.

The only potential coincidence is that maybe Dr. Connolley blocked an obvious troll for the wrong reason, having not realized the above.
Malleus
QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 1st July 2009, 6:52pm) *

QUOTE(CrazyGameOfPoker @ Wed 1st July 2009, 3:49pm) *

Well "nole" means head and "AK" means Alaska or Automatic Kalashnikov, but these don't quite seem plausible.

The only potential coincidence is that maybe Dr. Connolley blocked an obvious troll for the wrong reason, having not realized the above.

Perhaps he was drunk again at the time?

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 1st July 2009, 6:31pm) *
Though even Billy Mays would have problems selling WMC as an intelligent admin.

I think he's probably "intelligent" in a limited sense of that term, but he's nevertheless obviously a complete plank.
LaraLove
QUOTE(CrazyGameOfPoker @ Wed 1st July 2009, 11:49am) *

Nice catch, but doubtful. A.K.Nole (T-C-L-K-R-D) is one of three editors originally using the account named The_Wiki_House (T-C-L-K-R-D) .
EricBarbour
Hmm. I wonder if Connolley is deserving of his own "Notable Editors" subforum yet.

Checking.....(crap, people keep misspelling his last name....)

(wanna bet A. K. Nole is a sock of someone on WR? Place your bets, ladeez n' gennelmen)
Grep
Whoever A.K.Nole is, she deserves a round of applause for going the full distance with Mathsci. By keeping her cool and demolishing his smears point by point she managed to take him to an astonishing 98kbyte of first rate hilarity involving many of the usual suspects. It may be instructive to analyse his tactics in seeing off this presumptuous upstart.

You start off, of course, with threats of blocks, grandiose assertions of your status as a senior editor and a stream of smears. If you just keep on repeating that someones edits are nonsense, and that they have made no useful contributions, fairly soon everyone assumes it must be true and they start repeating it to each other. Then you can quote their opinions. You also bring in unnamed experts who agree, privately of course. You don't have to provide any diffs, after all it's common knowledge by now.

The next stage is to get one of your drinking buddy admins to block the victim for trolling (Wiki-speak for asking awkward questions and not going away when swatted). Best of all is to make it a block which the victim hasn't violated so that they become even more enraged: with any luck they'll be rude and merit an indefinite block for that. Even if the victim doesn't fall for that, then you have a free hand to continue the smears, while your admin buddy deletes the evidence.

In the next stage your victim is probably pretty cross, but may be cool enough to refute your smears with facts. Don't let that deter you and on no account even notice the refutations. If the evidence against your smears is beginning to mount to the point where other readers may notice, turn it around by accusing your victim of lying, and compound it with some more aggression: borderline outing is always a good idea. This will surely provoke your victim to incivility, but the danger is that the harassment is pretty obvious. So go immediately to the final stage.

In the close, you get another friendly admin to declare the debate over and close it immediately. The victim is now flogging a dead horse, while your version remains the official record. In future your victim can be dismissed by describing them as blocked for trolling, or found to be a liar by AN/I -- and you have a precedent that it's OK to persecute anyone you like because you're the expert. Result.

Noll did pretty well: she was ahead on points at the penultimate stage but made the mistake of taking her eye off the ball long enough for Mathsci to get her at the close. Still, she took him to a record-breaking 62 postings to a second AN/I which is pretty darn good going for a beginner.

Curiously A.K.Nole (the anti-Elonka) seems to have been trying to call out Elonka rather than Mathsci. That would have been good drama too.

There are some less plausible alternatives: Noll as a bad-hand sock/meat of Mathsci himself to get him his expert's licence-to-harrass (with a side-swipe at Mathsci's old enemy) would be agreeably hilarious. But that's for another post.
Kurt M. Weber
QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 30th June 2009, 9:29pm) *

LadyofShallot

Someone once set that to music...it was weird.
JohnA
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 2nd July 2009, 7:36am) *

Hmm. I wonder if Connolley is deserving of his own "Notable Editors" subforum yet.
confused.gif

Definitely evilgrin.gif
Grep
QUOTE(JohnA @ Mon 6th July 2009, 3:54am) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 2nd July 2009, 7:36am) *

confused.gif

Definitely evilgrin.gif

We'll need one the Arb case if nothing else. Does anyone keeps stats on how much drama each admin causes (with hilarity levels too please)?
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Grep @ Sat 18th July 2009, 12:12am) *
We'll need one the Arb case if nothing else. Does anyone keeps stats on how much drama each admin causes (with hilarity levels too please)?

Not really, only the major dramah-whores get "special treatment", such as an article on the WR blog.

As I understand it, if an editor becomes notorious enough to have five threads dedicated to his/her peccadilloes, said editor is eligible for their own Notable Editor subboard. I daresay that a few of the worst ones (Georgewilliamherbert, Aitias, etc) probably qualify already. Just a lack of interest in that case, it's more fun to talk about SV's latest outrage or Durova's penis size. yecch.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.