Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tribal authority on Wikipedia
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Kato
This is a review from Wikipedia's own Signpost on the book Cyberchiefs: Autonomy and Authority in Online Tribes written by Mathieu O'Neil. The review was actually from June but it doesn't seem that anyone here spotted it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wik...-15/Book_review

Tribal authority on Wikipedia

In the book's final case study, O'Neil examines how authority works on Wikipedia. Wikipedia governance relies primarily on charismatic authority—users deferred to because of their reputations, as talented contributors (hacker-charisma) and/or long-standing and dedicated active community members (index-charisma)—and popular sovereign authority—community-created rules and norms.

Is the surveillance-centered social and technical structure of Wikipedia like the street culture of a close-knit neighborhood or the discipline-minded watchmen of the Panopticon?
"Can people pull rank in a rankless universe", he asks?[6] The answer, of course, is yes; things like rollback rights, adminship, checkuser, and even—perhaps especially—edit count can serve as markers of authority in a social system based on constant surveillance of everyone's actions by everyone else. (In The Wikipedia Revolution, Andrew Lih compared Wikipedia to the benign street culture praised by urbanist Jane Jacobs: cities are safe when they are always under the watchful eye of residents. Others invoke a more sinister metaphor, likening Wikipedia to the Panopticon prison in which inmates never know whether they are being watched and so must behave as if they are.)

It is when surveillance breaks down that authority becomes a problem in the Wikipedia community. The Essjay controversy is the best known example of this; while claiming (falsely) to be a professor of theology, editor Essjay at times touted his supposed credentials in content disputes. But the most significant section focuses on what O'Neil terms "the Durova dust-up", the incident in which User:Durova briefly blocked User:!! as a sockpuppet based on an investigation that was not transparent to community surveillance (which led to Durova resigning her adminship). Here the dangers of both too much and too little surveillance were at work. O'Neil explains that "the incident resonated deeply with many editors, because it commingled authority and secrecy." The affront to the project's core value of openness and transparency was matched by "an equally powerful, and opposite, feeling: that some admins had been the victim of harassment and stalking because of their work for the project; that these experiences were frightening and painful; and that most of the victims were female."[7] [Clarification: O'Neil does not discuss specific instances of harassment, but refers in the preceding quote to the broader context of harassment as part of the spectrum of disruptive action, which efforts like "sock hunting" are employed to prevent.]

Charismatic and sovereign authority predominate, but archaic force is not altogether absent from Wikipedia. O'Neil singles out a Jimmy Wales quote from a 2006 New Yorker article (the one at the center of the Essjay controversy) to show how offline injustice and inequality is reinscribed in Wikipedia: "If it isn't on Google, it doesn't exist", said Wales. (O'Neil offers a wider discussion of Wikipedia in his recent essay from Le Monde diplomatique, "Wikipedia: experts are us".)
Historical factors and offline injustices—sexism, economic inequality, political geography—can clearly tilt the scales in online tribes. There are (at least so far) no online Utopias. The question for Wikipedia is, how deep is the shadow of history? How set in stone is Wikipedia's community culture, crafted as it has been by the earliest members with their peculiar outlooks and inclinations? Through the mechanism of preferential attachment in article creation and expansion and the propagation of charismatic authority, will Wikipedia always retain the mark of the early community's interests and prejudices?

O'Neil's particular analysis of Wikipedia includes some worthwhile points (and some errors and misinterpretations), but the case study only breaks the surface of the authority issue. The concepts of archaic force and the three modes of online authority are useful concepts for thinking about the community; Wikipedia authority is heterogeneous, sometimes with charismatic authority most important, sometimes with sovereign authority, and in our worst moments with archaic force deciding things.

It seems strange to imagine the "Durova dust-up" is now being analysed in books, as WR was closely involved in the incident. We were at the other end of it, watching very closely ourselves. Nobody bothered to ask us our opinion! laugh.gif
Moulton
Right. Wikipedia has not even advanced to 12th Century Feudalism.

It remains mired in Pre-Hammurabic Tribalism.
Kato
Durova actually wrote an open letter to the author

http://durova.blogspot.com/2009/06/open-le...hieu-oneil.html

QUOTE(Durova)
An open letter to Mathieu O'Neil
Hello,

This is an odd situation. I have just discovered in a book review that I have been a case study in your recent book. It would have been nice if, at some point, you had made an attempt to contact me. I'm not hard to find.

Yours truly,
Lise Broer
(Durova)

So he didn't contact, Durova, or us!
Moulton
Durova is easy enough to find, but she's not so easy to dialogue with.

When I sought to open a dialogue with her (on her blog), she abruptly cut it off.
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 14th July 2009, 8:03pm) *

Durova is easy enough to find

So is syphilis. laugh.gif
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 14th July 2009, 7:01pm) *

Durova actually wrote an open letter to the author

http://durova.blogspot.com/2009/06/open-le...hieu-oneil.html

QUOTE(Durova)
An open letter to Mathieu O'Neil
Hello,

This is an odd situation. I have just discovered in a book review that I have been a case study in your recent book. It would have been nice if, at some point, you had made an attempt to contact me. I'm not hard to find.

Yours truly,
Lise Broer
(Durova)

So he didn't contact, Durova, or us!
Gotta love megalomania. O'Neil didn't try to contact me either, but you don't see me blogging about it.
thekohser
QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 14th July 2009, 7:55pm) *

This is a review from Wikipedia's own Signpost on the book Cyberchiefs: Autonomy and Authority in Online Tribes written by Mathieu O'Neil. The review was actually from June but it doesn't seem that anyone here spotted it...

I guess I'm just a nobody.
Kato
QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 15th July 2009, 3:20am) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 14th July 2009, 7:55pm) *

This is a review from Wikipedia's own Signpost on the book Cyberchiefs: Autonomy and Authority in Online Tribes written by Mathieu O'Neil. The review was actually from June but it doesn't seem that anyone here spotted it...

I guess I'm just a nobody.

Sorry Greg, I missed that. This General Discussion forum is so filled with crap I can't find anything any more.

victim of censorship
QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 14th July 2009, 11:58pm) *

Right. Wikipedia has not even advanced to 12th Century Feudalism.

It remains mired in Pre-Hammurabic Tribalism.

I don't think WIKIWORLD as evolved that far yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.