Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Wikipedia DramaOut
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Herschelkrustofsky
A number of smirking Wikipediots make a pledge to renounce drama.for 5 days. The Kohser trumps their put-on with a demand for increased drama. smile.gif
Robster
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 19th July 2009, 3:27am) *

A number of smirking Wikipediots make a pledge to renounce drama.for 5 days. The Kohser trumps their put-on with a demand for increased drama. smile.gif

And, of course, his satirical attempt to increase the drama... only increased the drama.

His userbox for the "counter-protest" was immediately MfDed.

And remember, Jeff G. (T-C-L-K-R-D) is a member of the "community". Clearly, he's rather typical. And humorless. Or is that "typically humorless"?

Edit: Then, there's this bit of braindead cluelessness found on Jeff G.'s talk page -- apparently, he tried to speedy-delete the page and got slapped for that before trying MfD and getting slapped again. And the speechifying by Uncle uncle uncle (T-C-L-K-R-D) ... is actually scary.
SB_Johnny

Humor? What humor? I didn't see a humor tag.

Almost spilled my coffee on that one.
dtobias
QUOTE(Robster @ Sun 19th July 2009, 7:34am) *

And, of course, his satirical attempt to increase the drama... only increased the drama.

Any attempt to either increase or decrease the drama level will tend to increase it.

----------------
Now playing: Meat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light
via FoxyTunes
Moulton
QUOTE(dtobias @ Sun 19th July 2009, 8:11am) *
QUOTE(Robster @ Sun 19th July 2009, 7:34am) *
Any attempt to either increase or decrease the drama level will tend to increase it.

Attention begets drama. Drama begets attention.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.
TheySeeMeTrollin
QUOTE(Robster @ Sun 19th July 2009, 6:34am) *

His userbox for the "counter-protest" was immediately MfDed.

And remember, Jeff G. (T-C-L-K-R-D) is a member of the "community". Clearly, he's rather typical. And humorless. Or is that "typically humorless"?

Edit: Then, there's this bit of braindead cluelessness found on Jeff G.'s talk page -- apparently, he tried to speedy-delete the page and got slapped for that before trying MfD and getting slapped again. And the speechifying by Uncle uncle uncle (T-C-L-K-R-D) ... is actually scary.

Funniest thing I've seen all day. I wasn't aware that a userbox could "undermine the very foundation" of Wikipedia.

Interesting thought.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(TheySeeMeTrollin @ Sun 19th July 2009, 9:53am) *
Funniest thing I've seen all day. I wasn't aware that a userbox could "undermine the very foundation" of Wikipedia.
Wikipedia has very soft foundations. smile.gif
dtobias
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 19th July 2009, 11:02am) *

QUOTE(TheySeeMeTrollin @ Sun 19th July 2009, 9:53am) *
Wikipedia has very soft foundations. smile.gif

Weren't you the one famous for purging userboxes back in your admin days?

----------------
Now playing: Amy Grant - House Of Love
via FoxyTunes
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(dtobias @ Sun 19th July 2009, 10:08am) *
Yes, despite the fact that I only deleted about 30 of them. Wikipedia's recollection of its own history is even more unreliable than its presentation of human history generally.
TheySeeMeTrollin
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 19th July 2009, 10:13am) *

QUOTE(dtobias @ Sun 19th July 2009, 10:08am) *
Yes, despite the fact that I only deleted about 30 of them. Wikipedia's recollection of its own history is even more unreliable than its presentation of human history generally.

A truly eloquent observation.
thekohser
One thing this DramaOut has proven -- Jimbo, I must say, really has a talent for writing excellent articles, right off the bat.

I could really stand to learn from him. My articles contain too much information and too many encyclopedic references.
TheySeeMeTrollin
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 19th July 2009, 1:41pm) *

One thing this DramaOut has proven -- Jimbo, I must say, really has a talent for writing excellent articles, right off the bat.

I could really stand to learn from him. My articles contain too much information and too many encyclopedic references.

Agreed. Who wants information and references in an encyclopedia? I sure don't. smile.gif
everyking
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 19th July 2009, 7:41pm) *

Does Jimbo ever even read Wikipedia articles? He doesn't appear to even know the most basic formatting conventions.

I know, I know, I'm asking too much--you can't expect someone skilled as a hijacker to also be skilled as a pilot! laugh.gif
MZMcBride
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 19th July 2009, 2:41pm) *

Ugh. Of all the articles he could create, he picks a biography of a living person where he admits he's not sure if the person is notable enough for inclusion in Wikipedia? Jimmy seems to have the public relations skills of a pistachio nut.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Sun 19th July 2009, 3:06pm) *
Ugh. Of all the articles he could create, he picks a biography of a living person where he admits he's not sure if the person is notable enough for inclusion in Wikipedia? Jimmy seems to have the public relations skills of a pistachio nut.
Probably some guy Jimmy met at an airport bar somewhere.
tarantino
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 19th July 2009, 6:41pm) *

Jimmy on Talk:Sonny_Lester -
I chose this subject because a friend of mine posted this amusing picture to twitpic. It piqued my interest: who made this record?

That friend is the New York Times reporter Jennifer 8. Lee (T-H-L-K-D). Her colleague David Rohde was kidnapped by the Taliban and Jimmy helped keep mention of that fact off WP.

sbrown
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 19th July 2009, 9:11pm) *

Or an obscure meat place in South Africa.

QUOTE(tarantino @ Sun 19th July 2009, 9:36pm) *

That friend is the New York Times reporter Jennifer 8. Lee (T-H-L-K-D).

Hmm ... a close friend?

http://www.womenofchina.cn/Profiles/Writers/206808.jsp
Milton Roe
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sun 19th July 2009, 5:09am) *

Humor? What humor? I didn't see a humor tag.

Almost spilled my coffee on that one.

Almost not funny, due to being true. Some of the funniest essays on Wikipedia require a humor alert and humor category tag. blink.gif

Example:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Friends_of_...o_edit_articles

Though I have to admit that there are a few exquisite ones which have escaped the humor cat tag that they beg for: WP:NOT
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 19th July 2009, 1:11pm) *

A potential romantic interest? It's good to have a bio ready. Nothing sweeps 'em off their feet like that chivalrous offer to protect their bio.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 19th July 2009, 5:13pm) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 19th July 2009, 1:11pm) *

A potential romantic interest? It's good to have a bio ready. Nothing sweeps 'em off their feet like that chivalrous offer to protect their bio.

Yes, it's like putting your cape down to allow the lady to walk over the muck on it.

Nevermind that you arranged for and created the muck in the first place.

Remember the fate of Sir Walter Raleigh, Jimbo. How soon they forget.

QUOTE(Raleigh)

The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd

If all the world and love were young,
And truth in every shepherd's tongue,
These pretty pleasures might me move
To live with thee and be thy love.

Time drives the flocks from field to fold
When rivers rage and rocks grow cold,
And Philomel becometh dumb;
The rest complains of cares to come.

The flowers do fade, and wanton fields
To wayward winter reckoning yields;
A honey tongue, a heart of gall,
Is fancy's spring, but sorrow's fall,

Thy gowns, thy shoes, thy beds of roses,
Thy cap, thy kirtle, and thy posies
Soon break, soon wither, soon forgotten--
In folly ripe, in reason rotten.

Thy belt of straw and ivy buds,
Thy coral clasps and amber studs,
All these in me no means can move
To come to thee and be thy love.

But could youth last and love still breed,
Had joys no date nor age no need,
Then these delights my mind may move
To live with thee and be thy love.

It's pure evolutionary psychology. biggrin.gif
SB_Johnny
Just to give Jimbo the benefit of the doubt here: I have started quite a few plant/bug/etc. articles with just mindspillages from what I remember from college and a stub tag. Most of them have been improved and expanded considerably over the months and years.

(edited to add "articles" ;-) )
Milton Roe
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sun 19th July 2009, 6:02pm) *

Just to give Jimbo the benefit of the doubt here: I have started quite a few plant/bug/etc. articles with just mindspillages from what I remember from college and a stub tag. Most of them have been improved and expanded considerably over the months and years.

So have I, but these things are like larva of r-selected organisms. Not many survive the stub-stompers and the rabid list-makers and collectors-of-doom, who sweep these things up in to subsections of larger articles destined to one day be deleted en mass by some uninterested asshole, as "unsourced trivia."

However, if the little stub-icle can grow past the phase where it is filtered out of the soup by some hunger Speedy-placer, then it may have a chance at survival.

Of course, some articles have parents that at least stick around and defend them until they grow past a certain mnimal size. The embrace of a God is never infertile in mythology, for example, and Shower-of-Gold-Jimbo has never created an article which ever got deleted, at any stage. The same is true for the brain ejaculations (think Athena and the forehead of Zeus) of many other higher wiki-gods.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sun 19th July 2009, 8:02pm) *
I have started quite a few plant/bug/etc. articles with just mindspillages from what I remember from college and a stub tag.
And just how does Kat feel about you doing this? smile.gif

More seriously, Wikipedia's community no longer tolerates the creation of braindump stubs by ordinary editors; only well-placed elites have any hope of getting away with it, and even then when it does happen (e.g. Mzoli's Meats) it creates a great deal of drama.
everyking
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 20th July 2009, 2:17am) *

I have started quite a few plant/bug/etc. articles with just mindspillages from what I remember from college and a stub tag.

More seriously, Wikipedia's community no longer tolerates the creation of braindump stubs by ordinary editors; only well-placed elites have any hope of getting away with it, and even then when it does happen (e.g. Mzoli's Meats) it creates a great deal of drama.

OK, I figured I'd see what would happen, so I created a one liner article, just like Jimbo. We'll see if it gets speedy deleted, tidied up, or (maybe, just maybe?) expanded.
thekohser
QUOTE(everyking @ Sun 19th July 2009, 9:51pm) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 20th July 2009, 2:17am) *

OK, I figured I'd see what would happen, so I created a one liner article, just like Jimbo. We'll see if it gets speedy deleted, tidied up, or (maybe, just maybe?) expanded.

In honor of MAXDRAMA, I have edited the article.
LaraLove
QUOTE(everyking @ Sun 19th July 2009, 2:57pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 19th July 2009, 7:41pm) *

Does Jimbo ever even read Wikipedia articles? He doesn't appear to even know the most basic formatting conventions.

I know, I know, I'm asking too much--you can't expect someone skilled as a hijacker to also be skilled as a pilot! laugh.gif

He acknowledges this: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/w...oldid=302691017
20:20, July 17, 2009 Jimbo Wales (talk | contribs | block) (1,778 bytes) (And who knows, I might even learn wikimarkup finally haha) (undo)
EricBarbour
QUOTE(everyking @ Sun 19th July 2009, 6:51pm) *

Hah. WR participants are messing with it.....congratulations.....
thekohser
20:20, July 17, 2009 Jimbo Wales (talk | contribs | block) (1,778 bytes) (And who knows, I might even learn wikimarkup finally haha) (undo)

You know what I've found? I've found that when people add a "haha" to the end of their statement, it usually wasn't funny to begin with at all. In fact, it's usually rather sad and pitiful. That the man who would call himself the "sole founder" of the world's largest encyclopedia has the article-writing skill level of a 13-year-old operating from an IP address, speaks volumes.

Indeed, you know why Nupedia switched to the open wiki architecture? Jimbo got frustrated with his inability to write even a half-decent biography about some Nobel Prize winner who'd researched options trading theory, supposedly Jimbo's strong suit in the ol' brain department.

His lazy ineptitude is, quite literally, the reason we have Wikipedia.
The Adversary
Old story: Jimbo did start the article on Nobel Prize winner in economics, Rober Auman, the day he won the prize. Full text of article: "'He won the Nobel Prize!"

It was promptly deleted.

Then he restarted it, with the text: Robert Aumann won the 2005 Nobel Prize in Economics.

That´s progress. wink.gif
thekohser

Mine is more "just like Jimbo".
LaraLove
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 20th July 2009, 10:11am) *

Mine is more "just like Jimbo".

Oh God, can we not follow the trend of creating BLP stubs, kthx? We've got enough shit to attempt to maintain. No need to add to the pile.
thekohser
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Mon 20th July 2009, 11:54am) *

Oh God, can we not follow the trend of creating BLP stubs, kthx? We've got enough shit to attempt to maintain. No need to add to the pile.

Just a few moar days, Lara.
Mariner
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Mon 20th July 2009, 4:54pm) *

But there are people who love complaining that there are no references, its orphaned, not categorized
and there are others who enjoy adding them
I see it as an act of kindness to throw a ball for them to fetch
and it will distract them from messing up other articles
Nerd
Good grief, the man is a walking talking embarrassment. The Great and Amazing founder of Wikipedia can't even write a stub without making numerous errors: from basic markup and formatting, to basic manual of style. And fancy creating a marginally notable BLP - what the hell is up with him?

Perhaps we shouldn't keep digging at his lack of article contributions. He's better off doing his founderish work.
Shalom

Um, what the heck? Did you not notice that I had already created a thread about the Dramaout two days before you did? I would like the thread to be merged so that I get "credited" with starting the whole Dramaout drama. Of course I don't especially care -- I'm just a drama seeker. smile.gif
LaraLove
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 20th July 2009, 12:53pm) *

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Mon 20th July 2009, 11:54am) *
Just a few moar days, Lara.
Do I get to delete the BLPs then?

QUOTE(Mariner @ Mon 20th July 2009, 12:59pm) *

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Mon 20th July 2009, 4:54pm) *
But there are people who love complaining that there are no references, its orphaned, not categorized
and there are others who enjoy adding them
I see it as an act of kindness to throw a ball for them to fetch
and it will distract them from messing up other articles
Awesome, but give them company stubs, or product stubs... stubs on dead people, even. Don't toss them BLPs, though. Srsly.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 20th July 2009, 3:43am) *

You know what I've found? I've found that when people add a "haha" to the end of their statement, it usually wasn't funny to begin with at all. In fact, it's usually rather sad and pitiful.

The same is true of people (not you) who use an exclamation point for anything other than ersatz phonic emphasis, as after printed shouts and swearing. Most of rest of these things are used like laughing at your own joke!

ermm.gif
SB_Johnny
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 19th July 2009, 9:17pm) *

I think it depends on what "part" of the 'pedia you're editing in. The "Tree of Life" areas tend to have much lower drama in general, and while there are certainly a good many articles tagged as needing references (because, well, they do), they don't tend to be blanked or messed with unless they're "top tier" articles (like Potato, as opposed to, say, Cardamine bulbosa).

Who is "Kat", anyway?
thekohser
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Mon 20th July 2009, 4:03pm) *

Do I get to delete the BLPs then?

Actually, I was thinking it might be moar dramatic if *I* changed my mind about these recent BLP edits, and I attempted to blank them. Then, we'll watch the Wikipediots come out of all corners and crevices to argue that, once released into the free license world, the content is Wikipedia's... FOREVER.

There, we'll see how that goes.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 20th July 2009, 5:49pm) *
Who is "Kat", anyway?
Kat Walsh, member of the WMF Board of Trustees and former Arb. User:Mindspillage.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Nerd @ Mon 20th July 2009, 12:00pm) *
Good grief, the man is a walking talking embarrassment. The Great and Amazing founder of Wikipedia can't even write a stub without making numerous errors: from basic markup and formatting, to basic manual of style. And fancy creating a marginally notable BLP - what the hell is up with him?
Perhaps we shouldn't keep digging at his lack of article contributions. He's better off doing his founderish work.

Good luck talking to him. Good luck convincing his butt-nozzles that he needs to "retire".
MZMcBride
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 20th July 2009, 4:54pm) *

QUOTE(Nerd @ Mon 20th July 2009, 12:00pm) *

Good luck talking to him. Good luck convincing his butt-nozzles that he needs to "retire".

Butt-nozzles, eh? Stay classy, brah.
EricBarbour
QUOTE(LaraLove @ Mon 20th July 2009, 1:03pm) *
Awesome, but give them company stubs, or product stubs... stubs on dead people, even. Don't toss them BLPs, though. Srsly.

If someone, anyone, wants to create stubs on something other than BLPs, on subjects that don't exist on WP, I already posted a list of obscure vacuum tubes, complete with weblinks for reference. Ask, and I can even provide one or two dead-tree references on them.

(Why don't I do this myself? Because fuck Wikipedia, and the horse Jimbo rode in on. If you wanna give that toad your labor at no charge, it's your business. Leave me out of it.)
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 20th July 2009, 6:14pm) *
I already posted a list of obscure vacuum tubes, complete with weblinks for reference. Ask, and I can even provide one or two dead-tree references on them. [...] Leave me out of it.
Um, okay...
The Adversary
Well, I thought that articles on Sonny Lester (T-H-L-K-D), Mzoli's (T-H-L-K-D) and Robert Aumann (T-H-L-K-D) (all created by Jimbo, & already mentioned) were especially bad exceptions.
They are not. They are the "Jimbo-standard".

See what other gems he has started:

Breaking Home Ties: (T-H-L-K-D) "One of Normal Rockwell's most famous works. There is an interesting story about how it was found recently, even though it was not previously thought to be lost."

Asha Haji Elmi (T-H-L-K-D): "Asha Haji Elmi is a peace activist in Somalia. She was born in 1962." (in fairness: he added two more sentences after a couple of hours)

Charles Leadbeater (T-H-L-K-D): "Charles Leadbeater is an author." (only edit to the article)

Craig Crossman (T-H-L-K-D): "Craig Crossman is a radio host."

I seriously hope the DramaOut period is soon over for mr. Jimbo. blink.gif

(He has also restarted articles which were "problematic" and had been deleted (like, Frank Scalice, Paul Barresi, Jeff V. Merkey, Alan Dershowitz)...but that is another kettle.)
LaraLove
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 20th July 2009, 5:14pm) *

fuck Wikipedia, and the horse Jimbo rode in on.
It wasn't A Horse With No Name was it?
thekohser
QUOTE(The Adversary @ Mon 20th July 2009, 5:37pm) *

Well, I thought that articles on Sonny Lester (T-H-L-K-D), Mzoli's (T-H-L-K-D) and Robert Aumann (T-H-L-K-D) (all created by Jimbo, & already mentioned) were especially bad exceptions.

Breaking Home Ties: (T-H-L-K-D) "One of Normal Rockwell's most famous works. There is an interesting story about how it was found recently, even though it was not previously thought to be lost."

Asha Haji Elmi (T-H-L-K-D): "Asha Haji Elmi is a peace activist in Somalia. She was born in 1962." (in fairness: he added two more sentences after a couple of hours)

Charles Leadbeater (T-H-L-K-D): "Charles Leadbeater is an author." (only edit to the article)

(He has also restarted articles which were "problematic" and had been deleted (like, Frank Scalice, Paul Barresi, Jeff V. Merkey, Alan Dershowitz)...but that is another kettle.)

Thank you for summing this up, The Adversary. It underscores my point that Jimbo (and practically all of the rest of the Wikimedia Foundation board and executive staff) have no experience and no talent in production or editing of an encyclopedia. They have no business hording their first-mover control of Wikipedia. Not that I'd be any more qualified to serve on the Board, but at least I'm capable of recognizing it.
Malleus
QUOTE(The Adversary @ Mon 20th July 2009, 10:37pm) *

Those are certainly curious and revealing examples of what it means to "create an article". Jimbo though is quite safe from the kiddie hordes who patrol and mercilessly remove the efforts of lesser mortals.
thekohser
I'm doing my best to help Jimbo puff up his new article about Sonny Lester. Sum of human knowledge, folks. That's what we're doing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.