Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Admin anomie
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Grep
There is much discussion on-wiki about admin "burn-out". This is taken to imply that there is a continuing need for more and more admins, Anyone who questions that is just plain wrong, hence disruptive and must be banned.

So why does Wikipedia keep on with a system which overloads admins with tedious vandalism-reversing and sock-puppet-uncovering, when trivial changes to policy would cut out 90% of that tedious stuff? The answer is simple: admins have to be given something to do.

Becoming an admin is one of the goals of the WP game. Unfortunately there's no point in being, as opposde to becoming, an admin. The more sociopathic players find some pleasure in blocking, banning, harassing, plotting, politicking and so on. But at any given time most admins are somewhere along the path to disenchantment as they find themselves exploited again, at a higher level or sucked into corrupt little games. Of course they suffer from disconnection and anomie, and it would get even worse if they weren't kept busy.
Sarcasticidealist
And here I thought you were going to announce that this guy had dropped his longstanding lack of interest in being an admin.

QUOTE(Grep @ Sat 25th July 2009, 4:45pm) *
So why does Wikipedia keep on with a system which overloads admins with tedious vandalism-reversing and sock-puppet-uncovering, when trivial changes to policy would cut out 90% of that tedious stuff? The answer is simple: admins have to be given something to do.
Or, alternatively, because Wikipedia has no mechanism by which these trivial changes to policy can be made.

Occam's Razor: not just for shaving fourteenth century philosophers anymore.
Grep
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Sat 25th July 2009, 8:49pm) *

Or, alternatively, because Wikipedia has no mechanism by which these trivial changes to policy can be made.

Oh but it does, it does. The question is only, why not?
Herschelkrustofsky
QUOTE(Grep @ Sat 25th July 2009, 12:45pm) *

Becoming an admin is one of the goals of the WP game. Unfortunately there's no point in being, as opposde to becoming, an admin.
I disagree -- being an admin gives you a whole range of capabilities for the control of article content, which for many contestants is the name of game. Think Jayjg in his heyday. He set a certain standard to which all POV pushers must aspire.

I'm not saying that there might not be a certain malevolent thrill in being able to ban your opponents, but remember how they became your opponents -- in most cases, because of disputes over article content.
Sarcasticidealist
QUOTE(Grep @ Sat 25th July 2009, 4:54pm) *
Oh but it does, it does. The question is only, why not?
I was going to ask if English was your native language, but now I'm leaning more towards wondering whether thinking is your native mental process. Or something. In any event, I think I'm done with you.
sbrown
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Sat 25th July 2009, 10:27pm) *

I was going to ask if English was your native language, but now I'm leaning more towards wondering whether thinking is your native mental process. Or something. In any event, I think I'm done with you.

It makes perfect sense to me but then English isnt my native language. tongue.gif
A Horse With No Name
QUOTE(Grep @ Sat 25th July 2009, 2:45pm) *
The more sociopathic players find some pleasure in blocking, banning, harassing, plotting, politicking and so on.

Say, that reminds me: I haven't seen Xeno in a while. Is he still here?
Grep
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Sat 25th July 2009, 10:27pm) *

Oh dear. Tell me, do you also contribute to WR under another name? Your style seems ... strangely familiar.
Peter Damian
QUOTE(Grep @ Sat 25th July 2009, 8:45pm) *

This is so very true.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Sat 25th July 2009, 2:27pm) *

I was going to ask if English was your native language, but now I'm leaning more towards wondering whether thinking is your native mental process.

If you just made that up, you get the WR witicism star. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.