Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concealed messages
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
Grep
Inspried by that excellent work The Shakespearean Ciphers Examined two questions struck me. Firstly, where are the concealed messages in Wikipedia? Secondly, how to discuss them without spoil-sport admins removing them?

Acrostic Concealment: Really It's Simple, Try It Chaps

yeT wE quailL beforE endingS, learnT maorI critiC

Are there any editors who only contributions were to the four articles "Jimbo Wales", "Is", "A", "..."?

Later: I forgot to mention usernames. Any interesting anagrams, palindromes, acrostics, .... ?
sbrown
QUOTE(Grep @ Sun 26th July 2009, 7:39pm) *

ACRISTIC? blink.gif
Grep
QUOTE(sbrown @ Sun 26th July 2009, 9:05pm) *

QUOTE(Grep @ Sun 26th July 2009, 7:39pm) *

ACRISTIC? blink.gif

Ah, this is an example of the substitutiin methid -- yiu substitute O fir I. Ir alternatively yiu write

Acrostic Concealment: Really Obviously Simple, Try It Chaps

Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Grep @ Sun 26th July 2009, 1:39pm) *
Are there any editors who only contributions were to the four articles "Jimbo Wales", "Is", "A", "..."?
There was at least one instance of an editor making innocuous edits to apparently random articles so that his contribution history would express some meaningful (and offensive, at least to some) thought.

Of course, some buttmunch admin ruined it by disappearing some of the edits, so you can't find it on the wiki anymore.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 26th July 2009, 9:14pm) *

There was at least one instance of an editor making innocuous edits to apparently random articles so that his contribution history would express some meaningful (and offensive, at least to some) thought.

Of course, some buttmunch admin ruined it by disappearing some of the edits, so you can't find it on the wiki anymore.

Special:Contributions/Wit-o-pedia. I assume either Greg or Awbrey. (adding) It was Greg, he owned up to it
Grep
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sun 26th July 2009, 10:00pm) *

Special:Contributions/Wit-o-pedia. I assume either Greg or Awbrey.

Excellent, thanks! laugh.gif
Robster
QUOTE(Grep @ Sun 26th July 2009, 5:06pm) *

Cached at http://www.webcitation.org/5iZ3dshHD in case someone sees this and decides to open the rabbit hole. smile.gif

And now, back to our previous discussion of ACRISTICS. smile.gif
sbrown

Special:Contributions/Wit-o-pedia. I assume either Greg or Awbrey. (adding) It was Greg, he owned up to it

Hm he edited Jimbo which says "Jimmy Wales, American Internet entrepreneur known for his role in the creation of Wikipedia". Not sole founder or even co-founder! Lets see how long before thats fixed.

QUOTE(Robster @ Sun 26th July 2009, 10:16pm) *

And now, back to our previous discussion of ACRISTICS. smile.gif

OK.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(sbrown @ Sun 26th July 2009, 10:27pm) *

Hm he edited Jimbo which says "Jimmy Wales, American Internet entrepreneur known for his role in the creation of Wikipedia". Not sole founder or even co-founder! Lets see how long before thats fixed.

That's what the wording of the "Jimmy Wales" article always used to be; it was deliberately ambiguous but undeniably accurate (even the most diehard anti-Jimbo reader couldn't claim that he didn't have a significant role in the founding of Wikipedia; even the most dedicated Jimbo loyalist couldn't dispute that it was a accurate summary of the situation). About six months ago QuackGuru (T-C-L-K-R-D) "improved it", with predictable consequences.
thekohser

You're welcome!

It truly was outstanding work, wasn't it?
JohnA
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th July 2009, 12:41pm) *

You're welcome!

All that needs to be done is to edit the Jimbo Wales bio and....
Mike R
QUOTE(JohnA @ Tue 28th July 2009, 7:50pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th July 2009, 12:41pm) *

Excellent, thanks! :lol:

You're welcome!

All that needs to be done is to edit the Jimbo Wales bio and....

If I recall correctly, it originally started* with edits to Jimbo and Wales. Those edits must have been deleted.

Hmm, there's no deletion log for Jimbo. Oversight, maybe?

*Or ended, chronologically speaking
thekohser
QUOTE(Mike R @ Fri 31st July 2009, 12:30pm) *

If I recall correctly, it originally started* with edits to Jimbo and Wales. Those edits must have been deleted.

Hmm, there's no deletion log for Jimbo. Oversight, maybe?

*Or ended, chronologically speaking

Wow, Mike. You're right. They also deleted/oversighted the edit to the Rachel Marsden article, because I had that in there, too.

This has destroyed the full effect of the performance art aspect of that editor, and not one of the actual edits was anything but an encyclopedic improvement to Wikipedia.

To me, this represents some really nasty meta-censorship, and I hope that some good administrator with access to the raw data can illuminate which person was responsible for this act of sabotage.

Seriously, I'm offended. I thought Wikipedians had thicker skin than that.

Greg

P.S. I wonder if this might inspire someone to retaliate with an even more outlandish piece of edit history prose?
Grep
Apparently Oversight is restricted to remove defamatory material, to protect privacy, and sometimes to remove serious copyright violations. I wonder which of the three reasons applied here?
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(Grep @ Fri 31st July 2009, 12:19pm) *
Apparently Oversight is restricted to remove defamatory material, to protect privacy, and sometimes to remove serious copyright violations. I wonder which of the three reasons applied here?
Any edit which tends to embarrass, annoy, or ridicule the God-King is, by definition, defamatory. Duh.
Lifebaka
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 31st July 2009, 12:39pm) *

To me, this represents some really nasty meta-censorship, and I hope that some good administrator with access to the raw data can illuminate which person was responsible for this act of sabotage.

Actual Oversight was used, so you'll need an actual OS to read the log for you (does one post here?), assuming they're willing to. Excellent work, though, even with the removed edits. I may just have to steal the idea.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(Lifebaka @ Fri 31st July 2009, 11:39pm) *

Actual Oversight was used, so you'll need an actual OS to read the log for you (does one post here?), assuming they're willing to.

Luke/One and NYB are the only two oversighters I'm aware of who post here. I'm sure they won't re-post the log, but I'd love to see them trying to justify just why this was so egregious it needed oversighting (especially given that Greg has admitted to this on his WP userpage for weeks, so apparently "mentioned on WR" is now grounds for oversighting).
EricBarbour
Then you could ask Krimpet why s/he has no sense of humor....
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sat 1st August 2009, 12:10am) *

I don't think that's Krimpet being malicious; when accounts are tagged as suspected socks, they automatically get put in Category:Temporary Wikipedian userpages which are then periodically deleted (to avoid either innocent users having the tag in their history, or the edits of "bad" users being tainted by the zOMG-edit-by-a-banned-user smear for ever more). I assume Krimpet was just doing one of the periodic clear-outs. There are many things one could say about Krimpet, but "unwilling to discuss things with Greg if he wanted to" isn't one of them.
Viridae
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 27th July 2009, 7:00am) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 26th July 2009, 9:14pm) *

LOL
thekohser
QUOTE(Lifebaka @ Fri 31st July 2009, 6:39pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 31st July 2009, 12:39pm) *

Actual Oversight was used, so you'll need an actual OS to read the log for you (does one post here?), assuming they're willing to. Excellent work, though, even with the removed edits. I may just have to steal the idea.

Make sure you plan your script well in advance, and verify that none of your ten "final words" are semi-protected, otherwise you won't be able to edit those pages to "complete" your prose.

(All assuming, of course, that you want to work your artistry with a brand-new account, so that the sum total of its editing is the prose/poetry, and nothing extraneous.)

Make sure you make it even more offensive and hateful than mine was, so as to "punish" those who would dare oversight such masterful artistry.

We really need to find out who it was. How funny if it was Jimbo himself!
Law
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 26th July 2009, 7:41pm) *

You're welcome!

That is my new, most favorite editor of all time. The funny part is that the actual contributions were more productive than the contributions of pretty much 90% of active Wikipedians.
Lifebaka
QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 31st July 2009, 10:07pm) *

Make sure you make it even more offensive and hateful than mine was, so as to "punish" those who would dare oversight such masterful artistry.

Unfortunately, mine is likely to be much less anti-WP in nature, though I'm working on exactly what I'm going to "say". Most likely a haiku or short poem, possibly a small bit of prose. I'll post a link to the contribs when I'm done. I'll let you know if I change my mind on not being offensive and hateful.
Krimpet
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 31st July 2009, 7:10pm) *

At this point, I'm not exactly proud of my days spent playing hard-ass Internet cop. dry.gif
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Krimpet @ Fri 31st July 2009, 8:42pm) *
At this point, I'm not exactly proud of my days spent playing hard-ass Internet cop. dry.gif

Any chance you could log back in and undelete it? Or would someone else kill it again?
Krimpet
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 31st July 2009, 11:51pm) *

Any chance you could log back in and undelete it? Or would someone else kill it again?

Ohh, wait, now I remember why I deleted that user page - I deleted it in November, long after the account was blocked. I was en-masse deleting all the scarlet-letter {{sockpuppet|Wikipedia Review}} pages per a request of Greg's - it was to extend an olive branch. I don't know who messed with his contribs to mess up the acrostic, but they likely did so back in the previous June, when the account was blocked.
One
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 1st August 2009, 2:07am) *

Make sure you plan your script well in advance, and verify that none of your ten "final words" are semi-protected, otherwise you won't be able to edit those pages to "complete" your prose.

(All assuming, of course, that you want to work your artistry with a brand-new account, so that the sum total of its editing is the prose/poetry, and nothing extraneous.)

We really need to find out who it was. How funny if it was Jimbo himself!

It's not. I'm sure you'll live.
thekohser
Krimpet, the prose was intact as recently as 6 weeks ago. The oversighting of "Jimbo", "Wales", and "Rachel Marsden" edits took place quite recently.

Cool Hand "One" "Frank" Luke replied to me by e-mail, saying that the oversighter found the edits to be "libel" (truth is libel?), and that it was all apparently "discussed" before action was taken.

We apparently have recourse. There is some mythical "auditing subcommittee" if we think there's a problem, and they can advise as necessary. It might indeed be out of policy given the amount of time that had passed between the edits and the sudden need for oversight. Can anyone point me to this "auditing subcommittee"? I have to make breakfast now for my family that hasn't divorced me thanks to my public dalliances.
One
It's a subpage of ArbCom. Thatcher is on it. Procedure is here.
Eva Destruction
QUOTE(One @ Sat 1st August 2009, 5:48pm) *

• Year: 2009
  • Inquiries received: 9
  • Resolved without investigation: 9
Gotta love Arbcom. How's the openness and transparency coming along?
One
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 1st August 2009, 5:07pm) *

You could ask privatemusings what he thought. Looks pretty good to me, actually; easy questions have easy answers and don't require an investigation. Should simply be more publicity about the subcommittee, so that more people ask.
No one of consequence
QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 1st August 2009, 5:07pm) *

That's probably misleading since it includes some of the statistical reporting we are doing, which is not really a "request" but is an "issue" we are following.
thekohser
QUOTE(One @ Sat 1st August 2009, 1:12pm) *

You could ask privatemusings what he thought. Looks pretty good to me, actually; easy questions have easy answers and don't require an investigation. Should simply be more publicity about the subcommittee, so that more people ask.

Why is Jimbo Wales listed as "Staff"?
Moulton
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 1st August 2009, 11:23pm) *

Ummm... Because he is the "male member" of the crew?
No one of consequence
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 2nd August 2009, 3:23am) *

QUOTE(One @ Sat 1st August 2009, 1:12pm) *

Asked and answered. I'd be open to alternative suggestions.
Push the button
QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 1st August 2009, 1:07pm) *

Doesn't matter if any of the first ten words you want to use are semi-protected as there's an easy way to get them into your final script if you want.
thekohser
QUOTE(Push the button @ Sun 2nd August 2009, 1:51pm) *

Doesn't matter if any of the first ten words you want to use are semi-protected as there's an easy way to get them into your final script if you want.

How?
Push the button
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 2:28pm) *

QUOTE(Push the button @ Sun 2nd August 2009, 1:51pm) *

How?

The same way Grawp and co seemingly carry out page move vandalism with their first edits when it takes ten edits and four days to become autoconfirmed (and thus move pages and edit semi-protected pages). Make ten edits to your sandbox, then db-u1 it. Wait four days, and you're autoconfirmed, you have no visible contributions, and Robert is your father's brother.
thekohser
QUOTE(Push the button @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 4:39am) *

... and Robert is your father's brother.

How'd you know I have an Uncle Bob?
Push the button
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 10:53pm) *

QUOTE(Push the button @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 4:39am) *

... and Robert is your father's brother.

How'd you know I have an Uncle Bob?

Lucky guess, I guess...
sbrown
QUOTE(Push the button @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 9:39am) *

Robert is your father's brother.

The original "Bobs your uncle" refers to the Marquis of Salisbury getting his nephew Arthur Balfour made Prime Minister. Im not sure of the exact relationship but he wasnt his fathers brother.
Grep
QUOTE(sbrown @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 8:49pm) *

The original "Bobs your uncle" refers to the Marquis of Salisbury getting his nephew Arthur Balfour made Prime Minister. Im not sure of the exact relationship but he wasnt his fathers brother.

Well, that's the WP explanation of Bob's your uncle, citing a popular book and two pieces of journalism. OTOH, Eric Partridge, an actual expert, said origin unknown. I know which one I believe.

Salisbury was Balfour's mother's brother.
sbrown
Its the explanation in Brewers Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (revised by expert Adrian Room) and the Oxford Dictionary of Phrase and Fable.
Push the button
QUOTE(sbrown @ Tue 4th August 2009, 6:49am) *

Im not sure of the exact relationship but he wasnt his fathers brother.

You'd be amazed by how little I care...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.