Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Akahele - The Singularity is near, but does it matter?
> Media Forums > Wikipedia in Blogland
thekohser
The Singularity is near, but does it matter?
by Paul Wehage

Paul Wehage looks at Kurzweil’s idea of the Singularity in the context of two articles discussing current trends in crowdsourcing and wonders whether the Singularity will really change human nature that much…
Kato
http://cci.mit.edu/publications/CCIwp2009-01.pdf

QUOTE(Paul Wehage)
Of special interest is the chart on page 12 which attempts to describe the processes involved in creating, maintaining, and deleting articles on Wikipedia, giving the primary motivations as “Love” and “Glory”, completely ignoring the inherent conflict of interest issues involved in this pseudo-anonymous environment, the issues of interactions between editors (friend and foe), and also the whole “gaming” aspect which is inherently part of the Wikipedia process.

How did they decide that editing Wikipedia was for "love" and "glory"?
thekohser
QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 2nd August 2009, 8:02pm) *

The JimboJuice carries far and wide; only a few parts per million, and you're brainwashed.
Somey
I think he misspelled "Disklavier"...? In fact, I'm not sure that's even the term to use - it looks like he simply recorded a MIDI sequence for a sampled piano, and "Disklavier" was really just a brand name for a line of Yamaha MIDI-controllable sampled pianos.

Other than that, well done! smile.gif
the fieryangel
QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 6:21am) *

I think he misspelled "Disklavier"...? In fact, I'm not sure that's even the term to use - it looks like he simply recorded a MIDI sequence for a sampled piano, and "Disklavier" was really just a brand name for a line of Yamaha MIDI-controllable sampled pianos.

Other than that, well done! smile.gif

Argh, you're right. I think that I should have called that a "midi piano", which I'll change. Jeff was my college music theory professor, but I'm not up on these electronic dohickies...

Jeff told me that it was real fun trying to get those things through airport security, especially the infrared things that you have to put on your fingers...

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 3:40am) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Sun 2nd August 2009, 8:02pm) *

The JimboJuice carries far and wide; only a few parts per million, and you're brainwashed.

The whole paper was pretty much the "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" version of Web 2.0. I wonder if Moulton knows these guys and also why he didn't hit them over the head with a brick before they published this pro-WP garbage....
Moulton
QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 3rd August 2009, 4:58am) *
I wonder if Moulton knows these guys and also why he didn't hit them over the head with a brick before they published this pro-WP garbage....

No one consulted me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.