Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikipedia:Article Incubator
> Wikimedia Discussion > The Wikipedia Annex
carbuncle
Every WP article is like a tiny kitten, whose tiny eyes have yet to open - why would you want to delete a helpless tiny kitten? Or a baby - would you kill a baby? Because that's what you're doing when you delete an article...

[[Wikipedia:Article Incubator]]

From the good people at WP:Article Rescue Squadron...
Fritz
Afraid not - this is my invention, for what it's worth, and I'm not an ARS member - I didn't add the cats, I have to admit...but people will be people
thekohser
I wonder if Hitler had his little mustache as an infant?
dogbiscuit
Many people are allergic to kittens (I certainly am). The analogy holds. Death to kittens.
Kelly Martin
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 14th September 2009, 9:26am) *
Many people are allergic to kittens (I certainly am). The analogy holds. Death to kittens.
I'm allergic to kittens, but I still want to play with the fuzzy little things. I'll outgrow the allergy when I'm 60.
carbuncle
QUOTE(Fritz @ Mon 14th September 2009, 12:26pm) *

Afraid not - this is my invention, for what it's worth, and I'm not an ARS member - I didn't add the cats, I have to admit...but people will be people

My mistake, it seemed like an ARS offshoot due to the enthusiastic presence of Ikip. And there's a similar mindset with the ARS introduction that reads: "All too often, an article about a perfectly notable topic lies wounded, badly written, unsourced – but should its life be taken at Articles for Deletion? "

There seems to be an obvious flaw in this scheme - having placed all these pathetic mewling kittens in the incubator, who will be the one to pull the plug on their life support? It seems to me that there are a lot of people who believe that no kitten should be left behind, no matter how trivial, fancrufty, vanity-inflected, or fringey - I doubt they'll want to see even one tiny malformed kitten put out of its misery without a fight.
Fritz
QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 14th September 2009, 4:07pm) *

My mistake, it seemed like an ARS offshoot due to the enthusiastic presence of Ikip. And there's a similar mindset with the ARS introduction that reads: "All too often, an article about a perfectly notable topic lies wounded, badly written, unsourced – but should its life be taken at Articles for Deletion? "

There seems to be an obvious flaw in this scheme - having placed all these pathetic mewling kittens in the incubator, who will be the one to pull the plug on their life support? It seems to me that there are a lot of people who believe that no kitten should be left behind, no matter how trivial, fancrufty, vanity-inflected, or fringey - I doubt they'll want to see even one tiny malformed kitten put out of its misery without a fight.

Yeah, Ikip is enthusiastic about it, and a self-declared inclusionist - I don't agree with any such -ism. My deletion log, on the other hand would probably make lots of people think I'm the complete opposite. It just seemed to me that AfD is rapidly descending into an ideological battleground (more so than before) and that such a middle-ground would be good to try to instil some calm and reason into it, or at least pull down the AfD workload a little bit to concentrate on the real borderline cases.
It's part of the thing I first briefly mentioned when I first posted here - a drive towards quality rather than quantity. Since the incubated articles are to leave the articlespace, and be noindexed, it has the effect of deletion whilst allowing some time for work and not biting the hand of potentially useful contributors. Given that, some time can be taken to work out how to delete articles out of the incubator when it becomes obvious they are beyond help.
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Fritz @ Mon 14th September 2009, 4:57pm) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Mon 14th September 2009, 4:07pm) *

Yeah, Ikip is enthusiastic about it, and a self-declared inclusionist - I don't agree with any such -ism. My deletion log, on the other hand would probably make lots of people think I'm the complete opposite. It just seemed to me that AfD is rapidly descending into an ideological battleground (more so than before) and that such a middle-ground would be good to try to instil some calm and reason into it, or at least pull down the AfD workload a little bit to concentrate on the real borderline cases.
It's part of the thing I first briefly mentioned when I first posted here - a drive towards quality rather than quantity. Since the incubated articles are to leave the articlespace, and be noindexed, it has the effect of deletion whilst allowing some time for work and not biting the hand of potentially useful contributors. Given that, some time can be taken to work out how to delete articles out of the incubator when it becomes obvious they are beyond help.

I like this thread better when it was mocking this lame ass idea.
Casliber
this analogy is not a good one - cute kittens grow up into cats which often kill large numbers of native animals here in Australia. Articles don't go feral.... hrmph.gif
GlassBeadGame
QUOTE(Casliber @ Mon 14th September 2009, 5:38pm) *

this analogy is not a good one - cute kittens grow up into cats which often kill large numbers of native animals here in Australia. Articles don't go feral.... hrmph.gif

I don't think Wikipedians understand the use of analogies in argument. You all seem to believe it is an opportunity to demonstrate phony erudition or useless esoteric knowledge. Of course that is what Wikipedia's articles are for.
Casliber
QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 15th September 2009, 9:55am) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Mon 14th September 2009, 5:38pm) *

I don't think Wikipedians understand the use of analogies in argument. You all seem to believe it is an opportunity to demonstrate phony erudition or useless esoteric knowledge. Of course that is what Wikipedia's articles are for.

....and the correct reply is, "I'm eruditer than you" biggrin.gif
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Casliber @ Tue 15th September 2009, 12:38am) *

Articles don't go feral.... hrmph.gif

{{fact}}
Milton Roe
QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 14th September 2009, 7:20am) *

Photos say no. But I did find a nice 1923 shot of the 34 y.o. Hitler in lederhosen. A Chinese American stockbrocker at Burning Man dressed in lederhosen (which he had bought in Munich) explained to me earlier this month that these Bavarian pants are among his favorite national costumes. Due to their signifying the idea of continuing to be "the boy" far into manhood. Puer aeternis. Ah, but it turns out that this is Hitler's image also! Peter Pan, and a bit like Michael Jackson. The World as Wagnererian opera. Doesn't want to get married. Always the romantic who won't accept dull reality. And what he wants, he wants NOW. Because he wants it. The world as Will. The Will of the Inner Child.... hmmm.gif Lederhosen! Godwin!
Lar
QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 14th September 2009, 10:04pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 14th September 2009, 7:20am) *

Photos say no. But I did find a nice 1923 shot of the 34 y.o. Hitler in lederhosen. A Chinese American stockbrocker at Burning Man dressed in lederhosen (which he had bought in Munich) explained to me earlier this month that these Bavarian pants are among his favorite national costumes. Due to their signifying the idea of continuing to be "the boy" far into manhood. Puer aeternis. Ah, but it turns out that this is Hitler's image also! Peter Pan, and a bit like Michael Jackson. The World as Wagnererian opera. Doesn't want to get married. Always the romantic who won't accept dull reality. And what he wants, he wants NOW. Because he wants it. The world as Will. The Will of the Inner Child.... hmmm.gif Lederhosen! Godwin!

We missed you, Uncle Miltie!

And ixnay on the Self-Godwinizing
EricBarbour
QUOTE(Casliber @ Mon 14th September 2009, 4:38pm) *

No, just your nasty little admin friends.
Appleby
QUOTE(Casliber @ Tue 15th September 2009, 12:38am) *

Not within Wikipedia, but sometimes they have real world effects.
Robert Roberts
I like the new picture they have biggrin.gif
dogbiscuit
QUOTE(Robert Roberts @ Tue 15th September 2009, 11:10pm) *

I like the new picture they have biggrin.gif

Shame it's not a kitten wtf.gif obliterate.gif

popcorn.gif
Krimpet
QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 15th September 2009, 6:53pm) *

Shame it's not a kitten wtf.gif obliterate.gif

popcorn.gif

[[Category:Dead cats]]. happy.gif

A feral fleabag wiped out is a wild bird saved.
Appleby
QUOTE(Krimpet @ Wed 16th September 2009, 1:02am) *

Probably several birds methinks.
don fugazi
The Incubator is already up for deletion:

In other news, the Article Rescue Squadron loses one of its most active members (active as in following the stated aims of the project that is, rather than just whining in AfDs) here.

All is not well in Paradise, kittens or no.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(Appleby @ Wed 16th September 2009, 4:21am) *

QUOTE(Krimpet @ Wed 16th September 2009, 1:02am) *

Probably several birds methinks.

Likely fat, slow, or retarded ones.

Feral cats have usually been abandoned by idiot owners who either dumped their "pets" or else failed to spay/neuter the ones they had. Cats are not responsible for being obligate carnivores, which means when abandoned, they need to hunt or die. Nor are they responsible for not having the intelligence to invent Advantage flea killer for themselves. That's sort of up to us humans who domesticated them to keep mice out of our grain, then welshed our part of the bargain in a bad economy.

mad.gif
Law
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 14th September 2009, 7:30am) *

I'll outgrow the allergy when I'm 60.

How can you predict that? OK. Do me now. When am I finally going to be drafted by the NFL?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.