Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Bounty for Buttock Augmentation
> Wikimedia Discussion > General Discussion
tarantino
There's an open $20 bounty to bring Buttock augmentation to featured article status. It's been in play for 3 years and was apparently offered by Messedrocker while not logged in. I say apparently, because when asked on his talk page if the IP was his, he never answered.

This is a little disturbing in either case. If the IP* was actually the barely teen-aged Messedrocker, he was offering several bounties and editing pages relating to illicit drugs and sexuality. If it wasn't, the impersonation has lasted for more than 3 years.

Equally disturbing, and in addition creepy, is the message and barnstars on the same archived talk page of Messedrocker from Phaedriel, who was apparently a police officer.

Thank you for everything, my dear James! :) I hope you like my gifts... it's the least I can do as a token of my gratitude for all the lovely gestures you've offered me. I hope you're doing great, and to see you around real soon! Big hugs, Phædriel ♥ tell me - 00:51, 7 July 2006 (UTC)
An asterisk barnstar for reasons known only to you and me...

*Edit: Messedrocker did confirm the bounties were his.
Milton Roe
QUOTE(tarantino @ Wed 16th September 2009, 9:15pm) *

There's an open $20 bounty to bring Buttock augmentation to featured article status. It's been in play for 3 years and was apparently offered by Messedrocker while not logged in. I say apparently, because when asked on his talk page if the IP was his, he never answered.

This is a little disturbing in either case. If the IP* was actually the barely teen-aged Messedrocker, he was offering several bounties and editing pages relating to illicit drugs and sexuality. If it wasn't, the impersonation has lasted for more than 3 years.

Equally disturbing, and in addition creepy, is the message and barnstars on the same archived talk page of Messedrocker from Phaedriel, who was apparently a police officer.

Thank you for everything, my dear James! smile.gif I hope you like my gifts... it's the least I can do as a token of my gratitude for all the lovely gestures you've offered me. I hope you're doing great, and to see you around real soon! Big hugs, Phædriel ♥ tell me - 00:51, 7 July 2006 (UTC)
An asterisk barnstar for reasons known only to you and me...

Buttock augmentation. Asterisk barnstars with secret meanings. Smarmy notes. Big 0 to your (*). Oh my, this is all so ♥gay♥! (sorry I couldn't hit the high note on that last word). Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Mary had an aero-plane
Through the air she'd whisk
Wasn't she a silly girl
Her little *
Kato
QUOTE(tarantino @ Thu 17th September 2009, 5:15am) *

That was just one example of why the whole Phaedriel character on WP was very unsettling.

In the distant past, Wikipedia Review members were big critics of The Cult of Phaedriel for this very reason. Wikipedios in thrall to The Cult used that against this site as evidence of "harassment".

Brandt was attacked for calling Phaedriel out on this kind of behaviour, and her juvenile acolytes rallied to claim the objections were some kind of sexist hate crime. One time, David Shankbone accused Somey of inciting stalking because Somey had written this:

QUOTE(Somey)
"One thing you have to remember is that User:Phaedriel was, at one time, Wikipedia's most aggressive "love bomber." Some of the "gushy" wording she used on people's talk pages, including those of users believed to be minors, would have been utterly frightening if it had come from someone who self-identified as a man. To some of us, it looked like a classic cult indoctrination technique - and some of it is still used to this day as evidence that Wikipedia is a cult. And as things stood back then, there was no way to verify that she wasn't a man, other than (as you would put it) "stalking." Or, as a reporter might put it, "verifying her story.""

Somey was entirely correct all along.

QUOTE(tarantino @ Thu 17th September 2009, 5:15am) *

Messedrocker apparently grew up a bit from those days. He hosted a blog carrying decent criticisms of Wikipedia and deserves a bit of slack.
Messedrocker
I believe those tags were in reference to my broad-stroke bounty on "medicine articles". See http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&oldid=71501134 where I remove it.

That IP is not me logged out, but someone else adding the tag citing the bounty.

The "asterisk barnstar" was due to the fact that I e-mailed her a "barnstar" for something she did (I do not remember). Rather than attaching an image, I left a more textual representation of a barnstar.
tarantino
QUOTE(Messedrocker @ Sat 19th September 2009, 9:34pm) *

I believe those tags were in reference to my broad-stroke bounty on "medicine articles". See http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&oldid=71501134 where I remove it.

Apologies for my misunderstanding. You may have removed your offer from the bounty board , but you are currently listed as offering bounties at Talk:Buttock_augmentation (T-H-L-K-D), Talk:Cauterization (T-H-L-K-D), Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_LGBT_studies (T-H-L-K-D), Wikipedia:WikiProject_India/Article_alerts (T-H-L-K-D), Wikipedia:WikiProject_Philosophy/Article_alerts (T-H-L-K-D), Wikipedia:WikiProject South America/French Guiana work group/Article alerts (T-H-L-K-D), Wikipedia:WikiProject Medicine/Article alerts (T-H-L-K-D), Wikipedia:WikiProject Pharmacology/Reports/Article alerts (T-H-L-K-D), Wikipedia:WikiProject Food and drink/Article alerts (T-H-L-K-D), Wikipedia:WikiProject Cannabis/Article alerts (T-H-L-K-D) and possibly other locations.

I stand by my characterization of Phaedriel as creepy.
Messedrocker
I have removed the tags wherever I could.

And yes, Phaedriel was definitely one of the more saccharine Wikipedians.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.